New Computer - Want to know if it's optimally configured

Hi all,

First post on this forum, and I was wondering if you could help me out with this (I'm a programmer, not as much of a hardware tech guy). Here are the specs for the computer I just built:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LXProcessor: Intel i7 3770k
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X-Series (2 x 4gb) 2133mhzInternal Storage: 128gb primary SSD, 2tb secondary HDD
So, I installed Windows 7 64-bit on the SSD (which is a nicer Samsung... can't remember for sure). I've installed the latest drivers for everything. Since the SSD has limited capacity, I've moved all my "libraries" (my documents and everything) over to the HDD.

Basically, I want to know if I have this setup configured for optimal speed (without purchasing anything else yet like liquid cooling, etc) and efficient use of the SSDs limited storage capacity; The only other thing I could think of was moving all program data over to the 2tb SSD and leaving behind symbolic links... I thought for sure this would work, but I ended up borking Windows BADLY, and just ended up reformatting + reinstalling.

Are there any big performance or efficiency related tweaks I could accomplish with this hardware and basic setup?

In terms of optimizing speed, putting all core programs on SSD and keeping all non-essentials on HDD is what you want to do. When it comes to tweaks, you won't find many at the hardware level besides overclocking. But, there are all sorts of tweaks you can do within windows 7 to get a little bit of extra speed. Here is a decent guide you can check out.

Well the only thing I can see that you might need to configure is the ram in the bios. Most motherboards by default will not set the ram to 2133.

Make sure SATA mode is set to AHCI.

Otherwise, you're fine. There are some more extreme measures you can do to increase performance slightly, but IMO they are not worth it as they sacrifice prettyness and usability. :)

You should also leave some free space on the SSD (more is better) and before you change to AHCI mode, you'll need to change a registry in windows or you may not be able to boot.

Back