New CPU PC stuck on BIOS logo

I upgraded my cpu to a 3GHz cor2duo E6850 from a E4500 2.2GHz
now my pc is stuck on bios logo screen.

When it powers with the new CPU I get one beep then it just sticks on bios logo screen, I left it for 20 minutes.

So I put my old CPU back in and updated bios then it stuck on logo screen witch ever CPU I used.
So then I tried to reset cmos, that's when it really crapped out, no beeps no display.
so then I took my cmos battery out and drained the board put my old processor back in and (thank god) it booted into windows.

Bad CPU?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Motherboard is a foxconn 45cmx (Bios has been updated)

Hi guys thanks for the reply, I updated to the newest bios firmware from the oldest I guess.
The processor is listed in the supported cpu list.

I've been searching google like crazy but can't find anything that will give me an answer.

I had an E4500 in originally and when I ordered the e6850 I sold the 4500.
The guy I sold it to gave me his pentium E2140, the 2140 and the 4500 work fine, but the 6850 won't.
Is it worth getting a new mainboard?

I just relized the 45cmx can only go up to 1333 fsb with overclocking.
the e6850 has a fsb of 1333. will that be the problem?

You'll need memory that also supports 1333MHz or the computer won't boot. ERR, that may not be true, you'll have to make sure the memory isn't overclocked while the FSB is at 1333MHZ. That means you'll have to set a memory divider so that the faster FSB will not overclock your memory. There are no more new socket 775 motherboards out there that won't cost an arm and a leg. If I remember correctly there was very little 1333MHz DDR2 memory. I'll check on the memory later.

I couldn't find any DDR2 1333 memory.

What speed is your current memory. I'm guessing DDR2 667 PC5400? If I'm correct, your motherboard may not have a memory divider that will allow your processor's FSB to run at 1333MHz while the memory isn't overclocked. You MIGHT have to have new memory. If you have DDR2 800 then you may be in luck; you may not have to buy new memory because your motherboard may have a divider that will allow your processor to achieve a FSB of 1333 while the memory runs slower. Either way I'm just guessing at this point.

It could be fun to get into the BIOS and see if the problem could be worked though. I'd reinstall the E4500 and do some research and see what the BIOS options are.

OK DDR2 800 is a start, UM, you need to find the place in your BIOS where you can set a memory divider. Usually the memory and FSB settings are locked unless you take specific pains to unlock them. I've never had a Foxconn motherboard so I'm not exactly sure what the "fox central control unit" does or how it operates, but I imagine it's the part of your BIOS that allows you access to overclocking features.

It looks like the overclocking features are under the fox central control unit. I'd guess that you might try manipulating the choices under the "DRAM Configuration" part of the control unit. If this were my situation, I might unplug my hard drive until I was fairly sure my computer was stable while I tested various settings in the BIOS. I'd also look under the "Fox Intelligent Stepping" to see what was there.

What your trying to do is keep the FSB at 1333MHz while the memory runs at 800MHz. The FSB is actually quad pumped, so if you have your E4500 in there now and the FSB is listed at 200MHz then your actual FSB is 200MHz X 4 = 800.

1333MHz / 4 = 333.25MHz ish is your target FSB speed.

Look toward Google for a beginners guide to overclocking, but remember, you won't be overclocking either your processor or your memory. You'll just be overclocking your north bridge and that's all. The north bridge is the memory controller on your motherboard. While overclocking it might require nothing more than a slight bump in voltage and that's it.

Overclocking as been conceitedly described as an art. All you really need to know is that you may have to bump the north bridge voltage a tick or two higher so it will actually run at 333.25MHz. Bumping your north bridge voltage can break your motherboard. The fastest your north bridge would normally run would be 266.5MHz with a CPU that had an FSB of 1066MHz, so to get it to run 66.75MHz faster than its normal maximum you might have to push a little more voltage through it.

Look at your BIOS options and explore. See if you can get the E6850 to run with a 1333MHz FSB and at the same time run your memory at 800MHz or slower. You already know how to clear the BIOS if you run into trouble.

The memory divider you're looking for will be something equivalent to 333.25/200 or 5/3 or 1.66.

No, no. New motherboard. I would like to know about overclocking though.
Any good starter guides?
I'd definitely recommend starting the board up with all components within normal spec then worry about overclocking later. If your memory is rated 800, running 1333 might not be possible without some extra cooling gear.

Back