New featurettes introduce The Witcher and its characters

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: We’re only ten days away from the debut of Netflix’s The Witcher series, and to get people even more excited about the show, several featurettes have been released that give us an insight into the main characters: Geralt of Rivia, Princess Cirilla, and Yennefer of Vengerberg.

Most PC fans will be familiar with The Witcher and its characters, though the TV show is inspired by the Andrzej Sapkowski novels, rather than being directly related to the games. Showrunner Lauren S. Hissrich says Netflix’s series will take place across an even longer period of time than the books, which are set across several years.

Each featurette includes talks by the actors who play the characters. For Geralt, we hear from Henry Cavill, who, after many Witcher fans were a bit dubious about his casting, appears to be doing the White Wolf justice. He explains how Witchers undergo alchemical trials, allowing them to consume potions that grant them powerful abilities but would kill unmutated humans. We also hear about their use of magic and see Geralt using Aard.

We also learn more about Yennefer, who’s played by Anya Chalotra, and Princess Cirilla, portrayed by Freya Allan.

For those who want even more Witcher goodness before the show’s arrival, Netflix has released a 12-minute video in which Hissrich talks about how the show got made and reveals her original pitch featured Ciri as the main focus and narrator.

Several critics have seen the first five episodes of The Witcher before its release, and the initial impressions are very good. Could this be Netflix’s Game of Thrones?

Netflix's The Witcher debuts on December 20.

Permalink to story.

I haven't read the books or played the games so I will be able to enjoy this entirely without any bias!

I'm looking forward to it!

Actresses for Yenn and Ciri are not who I pictured after playing the games. hopefully I'm proven wrong and they will be great characters for the show.

Actresses for Yenn and Ciri are not who I pictured after playing the games. hopefully I'm proven wrong and they will be great characters for the show.

Well the games don't follow the books as closely. That may be why.

I absolutely love Witcher 3 and think it's one of the best games ever made. As I got older games couldn't keep me interested for long but after I finished Witcher 3 the first time I soon started another playthrough and I think I beat it like 4 times by now and considering how much stuff is there is to do that's saying something. This show steers towards books more which I haven't read which is a good enough reason to at least start following it.

Witcher 3 was the best video game ever made...and I'm saying that as a gamer of 20 years! hardly play games anymore, so witcher 3 really stood out. It was just art! Looking forward to this...atleast they found a decent actor to paly Geralt.

Well the games don't follow the books as closely. That may be why.

Those characters are even further away from the books. But that's not very surprising, it supposed to get to a wider audience. I have mixed feelings about that but will see shortly if it does live up to expectations.

Some of the casting choices seem questionable. I will, however... wait until I actually watch the series before I fully judge.

Back