New (first) build

Muxacb

Hello to the community,

This is my first post currently I have a q9550 on a mobo with 8gb of ram 4 sata ports and pci express 1.1 needless to say im bottle-necking. 120gb Ocz Vertex 3

So my idea is a for a build that costs between 1k-1.5k USD.

I have been debating between a i7-3770k, fx 8150, i7-3930k or i7-3820

Parts I will be keeping the current ssd, all the hard drives I currently have screens, don't need a sound card or gpu like them as well. No i5's

Parts I do need
1. CPU
2. Mobo with at least 8 sata ports and one pci-x1 slot that i can get to and the gpu not block
3. H80 water cooler don't like any of the others.
4. PSu
5. Ram was looking to do 32gb in 8gb sticks

I do alot of video editing, photo editing and what not and looking for a PC that can handle the loads I've been throwing at this old quad core. I've been maxing the quad pretty easily compressing and encoding. I'm a heavy multitasker i like being able to encode while watching uncompressed blu-ray quality video so its a heavy load need something that can take that heavy of stress. Thank you in advance for all advice.

I do alot of video editing, photo editing and what not and looking for a PC that can handle the loads I've been throwing at this old quad core. I've been maxing the quad pretty easily compressing and encoding. I'm a heavy multitasker i like being able to encode while watching uncompressed blu-ray quality video so its a heavy load need something that can take that heavy of stress. Thank you in advance for all advice.
I would normally recommend the i7-3770K but under those conditions I think I will recommend the i7-3930K.

Unless you just absolutely wanted to go with the LGA2011, I think I would go with the i7-3770K before I would choose the i7-3820.

You could build a twin Xeon workstation and have 12 cores, 24 threads, and you'd still find video encoding will use all of them unless you tell it different. That said, what you decide on depends (budget aside) how long your prepared to wait for it to do it.

Given your usage, the FX8150 is out of the window. It's not even worth considering up against much stronger Intel items. I'd personally go with a LGA-2011 i7-3930K (6 cores, 12 threads) and then overclock that to beyond i7-3960X speeds. I'd also use a Noctua NH-D14 or Thermaltake Silver Arrow (both with a 3rd fan) for cooling. The Corsair H80 will give better clearance around the RAM but low profile RAM will be fine for clearance. Having 8 RAM slots also gives you a larger potential (128GB) to increase RAM as well.

If you want water cooling for LGA-2011, I advise you get a matched watercooling kit that contains the parts required to do it, or buy them separately and build your own. Proper water-cooling will give you the best clocks.

I'm looking at doing the same thing myself. Here is what I was looking at:

1. Intel i7-3930K retail -- $569.99
2. Noctua NH-D14 cooler -- $89.99
3. Corsair (4x 8GB( XMS 32GB DDR3-1600 RAM -- $239.99
4. MSI Big Bang-XPower II LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX Intel Motherboard -- $389.99
5. See note 2.

Notes:

1. Any PCI-E 1X card will fit and work in a PCI-E 16X slot without any issues. You can use the very last one on the MSI board for that.
2. PSU is completely dependent on what you decide to go for, and the GPU(s) you will be powering. Since you've not listed your GPU and long-term requirements in respect to that its impossible to list one. If you let me know those, I will then recommend a couple based on your requirements.
3. MSI Big Bang X-Power has 4x 3Gb/s SATA, 6x 6Gb/s SATA, 4x PCI-E 3.0 16x slots, 3x PCI-E 2.0 16x slots. Total RAM 128GB.
4. You'll need to buy an additional Noctua NF-P12 PWM fan plus a pair of quick-release brackets in order to use 3x fans on the CPU cooler.
5. The Corsair XMS is low-profile enough to clear the Noctua NH-D14's cooling fins.
6. You need a case that will support XL-ATX format motherboards to fit the MSI one, or any other for that matter that uses that format.

Just sticking with my 560ti so i can still play a few games from time to time when i feel like it. I was trying to stay within the atx form factor lots to consider the lga2011 budget was around 1.5k on the high

seems the 3820 will be a good idea for price with the ability of ivy-e upgrade in the future instead of a dead socket type with the 3770k

It's your money on the line not mine, so my opinion really doesn't matter. :)

Personally unless I was building a dual socket rig, I wouldn't go with a quad core LGA2011 CPU. If I was to go LGA2011, it would be six core or better. LGA1155 is more than enough for a quad core machines.

As far as LGA1155 being a dead socket, how can you say that when Ivy just came out this last week? If it was LGA1156 you were referring too, I wouldn't question it.

This however does not change my recommendation, thinking you need the i7-3930K or better. One thing I have noticed about Intel CPU's, they don't usually drop in prices very much. I've seen prices rise after CPU's were discontinued. You might as well place your money where you want it now instead of forking it out again plus extra on an upgrade. With that said; I have built a few machines and upgraded them later myself, I'm not trying to talk you out of doing so.

Here is another thought for you. Anyone who purchased a low end LGA775 CPU a few years ago with the intentions of upgrading to quad-core later, would be out of luck using Newegg or TigerDirect today. Intentions to upgrade don't always pan out as planned.

well the only reason i say lga1155 is dead is because ivy is the last upgrade for the socket type according to the road-map picture cant't post the link but it's on xbitlabs intel cpu roadmap." Haslwell comes in 2013 at a new socket of 1150 so ivy is basically the end all to the 1155 at least with the ivy bridge coming in 2013 for the lga2011 would have more performance option then just the end all of the ivy that's on the 1155 just don't know if would be better to wait for ivy-e or just go all out and dig a lil deeper for pure bliss :p

I have to say I agree with the OP that 1155 is a dead platform in that the IB CPU's are the last ones which will fit in that socket. The 2011 socket will accomodate IB-E when it gets released. The 3820 is pretty similar in performance to the 3770K and costs a bit less (although difference in mobo prices will probably even things out).

If I were building a new system 2011 would be the route I'd go. Not impressed at all with the 3770K OC capabilites, specifically the temps and the power consumption. While the 3820 isn't unlocked, it's still relatively simple to OC.

Not impressed at all with the 3770K OC capabilites
Over-clocking is a bonus and should never be a deciding factor in whether a platform is dead or not. Just because a platform will be dead in two years doesn't make it dead today. There is nothing wrong with anyone purchasing Ivy-Bridge for their next PC.

When will you people stop, if you want to be on the bleeding edge that is fine by me. However that doesn't make technology that is not on the bleeding edge, obsolete while its still in production. First its AMD not keeping up with Intel, then its Intel's over-clocking suffers a blow. Intel's only mistake was allowing Sandy Bridge CPU's to overclock as high as they did.

I'm not saying everyone should avoid the 1155 platform, but given that the OP does a lot of CPU intensive work and also considering that the 3770K and 3820 setups cost the same and have similar performance (at stock speeds), it just makes more sense in this case to go for the superior platform. The better OCing abilities of the 3820 is an added bonus.

Back