New gaming system that I'm considering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deso

My old Dell Dimension 8400 broke 2 days ago so now I have to buy a new computer
I'm on a very limited budget but I still want to get a kick *** system that will play everything flawlessly at 1680x1050 resolution and I need cpu power for media conversions
which is why I choose the i5-750 as cpu.

This is the build that I'm considering so far

Cpu:
Intel i5-750 195$

Video Card:
Gigabyte Radeon 5850 310$ + 8$ shipping

Mother Board:
GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H 105$ + 5$ shipping

Hard Drive: Already have one

Ram:
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 7-7-7-20
1.7 volt DDR3 1333Mhz 115$ + 3$ shipping

Power Supply:
Corsair 750Watt 100$

Case:
XCLIO Windtunnel 80$

Total: 895$ + 21 dollar shipping ( 916$)

916$ is a little to much, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can cut down on costs here?

All items in this build I found on newegg

Would this be a good build for the amount it costs?
I'm open on suggestions for all parts and even complete systems if you have that

Deso,
I think I have the $$$ solution so you can keep the same system. in 3 days ATI is launching the
HD 5830, its a 1280 SPU,2 teraflop card that will be great at 1680x1050 with the eye candy turned up. i understand that it is going to launch at $179.00. that gets you to $800.00. and you can build that excellent machine you listed.

Deso,
I think I have the $$$ solution so you can keep the same system. in 3 days ATI is launching the
HD 5830, its a 1440 SPU,2 teraflop card that will be great at 1680x1050 with the eye candy turned up. i understand that it is going to launch at $179.00. that gets you to $800.00. and you can build that excellent machine you listed.

Thanks Red, that's a very good suggestion I think I will do that
What do you think about replacing the i5-750 with i3-540 to save another 60 bucks?
i3-540 is 140$, Do you think the multi threaded performance boost would be worth the 60 or not?

It will hold down that GPU for gaming just fine. the performance hit will be in video editing,compression,rendering etc. so if you can live with a conversion taking 1:58 instead of 1:48, go for it :)

It will hold down that GPU for gaming just fine. the performance hit will be in video editing,compression,rendering etc. so if you can live with a conversion taking 1:58 instead of 1:48, go for it :)

I can live with that :haha:

So then it's settled I suppose, I'll go for the i3-540 and 5830 !

Sure, I'll post progress info and pics I guess ;]

I have made my final decision which will be

i3-540
same mobo as above
5830 when it comes out
corsair 550Watt supply
I changed case to Cooler Master Storm Scout as it was about the same price and that case in just plain wickedly solid :D
I will buy the same mushkin memory but with 1600 DDR3 instead of 1333 DRR3, because it will be easier to overclock the i3 with higher clocked memory right?

anyways with rebates and all the total is 500$, I will order all the computer parts tomorrow and buy the 5830 when it comes out which should run about 200-250 from what I have seen, I'll just use my old 7900 GS for the mean time :)

I'm very tempted tho to get the 750 Watt corsair power supply which is only 15 more bucks then the 550Watt supply, what do you guys think?

True, but meh, depends on when you think you will upgrade...550 will be cheaper and yield marginally higher efficiency, no big deal though corsair 750 is a good buy.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail
I think those will serve better, or if you want to be spending $115 you can buy the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM - Retail.

it will be easier to overclock the i3 with higher clocked memory right?
Not much of a difference, if I remember, FSB was moderately linked with RAM rates with core 2, but not so much anymore.
Are you going to buy a CPU cooler too?

Oh and remember you're going to have to reformat your hdd and reinstall windows.

I can live with that :haha:

So then it's settled I suppose, I'll go for the i3-540 and 5830 !

Better still, buy the i3 530 @ Microcenter for 99.95 and overclock it.

This of course does require that you be near a Microcenter, since it's a walk-in only deal.

Failing that, you can buy an i3 530 from Newegg for $119.95 with free shipping, and overclock that. The general feeling is that the i540 and i530 can be made to run at the same higher speed, without favoring either CPU. (possibly up to 4.5GHz..!!).

Better still, buy the i3 530 @ Microcenter for 99.95 and overclock it.

This of course does require that you be near a Microcenter, since it's a walk-in only deal.

Failing that, you can buy an i3 530 from Newegg for $119.95 with free shipping, and overclock that. The general feeling is that the i540 and i530 can be made to run at the same higher speed, without favoring either CPU. (possibly up to 4.5GHz..!!).

I'm sadly a whole state away from a Microcenter ;] (Wisconsin)

Correct me if I'm wrong but when Intel finishes a waver, they test each cpu for flaws in them and cpu's with less flaws will get a higher cpu clock rate and cpu's with a lot or more flaws will get a lower clock rating, the conclusion of this I'll do below

530 = lower clock rate because it has more flaws and will overclock worse then the 540
540= less flaws and will overclock better then 530

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, I just remember watching a intel factory video on how they make the wavers and test all cpu's and determine what clock rate they will give the cpu's

It would make sense because for example Wolfdale series cpu's e8200 through e8600
they didn't release all the cpu's from e8200 at once because there were to many flaws, once they had been doing the proccess to create these chips they fine tuned it and got cpu's with less flaws in them and released them as higher clocked versions of the same chip

So basically from what I have understood, buying a higher clocked chip of the same series will most likely give you better overclock-ability on the chip

I just found a combo on newegg with 102$ discount on it with these items

i3-530
asus p7h55-m pro
g.skill ripjaws series 2x 2gb ddr3 1600Mhz
Lian Li Lancool case
Thermaltake 650Watt power supply

The total for this combo is 411!!

my old total for the same parts is 517......

however I know nothing of the new parts, the case looks good but I have no clue if the mother board is any good or in the power supply is any good, do you guys know anything?

I'm sadly a whole state away from a Microcenter ;] (Wisconsin)

Correct me if I'm wrong but when Intel finishes a waver, they test each cpu for flaws in them and cpu's with less flaws will get a higher cpu clock rate and cpu's with a lot or more flaws will get a lower clock rating, the conclusion of this I'll do below

530 = lower clock rate because it has more flaws and will overclock worse then the 540
540= less flaws and will overclock better then 530

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, I just remember watching a intel factory video on how they make the wavers and test all cpu's and determine what clock rate they will give the cpu's.

It would make sense because for example Wolfdale series cpu's e8200 through e8600
they didn't release all the cpu's from e8200 at once because there were to many flaws, once they had been doing the proccess to create these chips they fine tuned it and got cpu's with less flaws in them and released them as higher clocked versions of the same chip

So basically from what I have understood, buying a higher clocked chip of the same series will most likely give you better overclock-ability on the chip

I don't know if it's worth your while (or 20 bucks) to read 17 pages of CPU reports to confirm or dispute Intel's own findings or not, but here you go anyway; http://techreport.com/articles.x/18448

Anyway, it seems to be (IMO) to Intel's advantage to say exactly what they have. If they said "you can reach the same frequencies with our cheaper chips as to the higher priced ones", that would be commercial suicide. Also, Intel locks the BIOS of their own boards to prevent overclocking, and they are (obviously) responsible for the CPU's warranty. Here again, they want to sell you the higher clocked (at stock) chip.

In any event, heat is the issue with overclocking, in large part due to overvolting. So, The Tech Report says something on the order of, "a lower and higher clock chip will respond the same with respect to heat, which is after all, a lot of what inhibits the ultimate potential.

Anyway, the i3-530 becomes the best deal if you can walk into Microcenter and buy it. The price advantage dissipates quite a bit, if you buy from Newegg. Microcenter runs loss leaders on their CPUs frequently, for example an i7-920 for $199.99. When you consider that the cost of the i3-530 is supposed to be $111.00 (in lots of a thousand) you'll see what I mean. (Although, I'm pretty sure that Microcenter of course, buys more than a thousand at a crack). Since you can't walk into a Microcenter, this point becomes moot.

If you think about it even running both chips at their stock speed, only nets slightly less than 5% performance difference. Running in the same system, this difference should be negligible.

Hi Deso.

You could look at the suggestions I posted in this thread. Just change the Radeon HD 5770 for the 5830.

Should work out to be a more powerful build than the one you have currently worked out.

Yea captain that makes sense, I'll go for the i3-530

Hi Deso.

You could look at the suggestions I posted in this thread. Just change the Radeon HD 5770 for the 5830.

Should work out to be a more powerful build than the one you have currently worked out.

Hehe looks like you didn't read the thread here ^_^, what I was considering is a 5850.
Red helped me on the way to wait for a 5830 already, I just put 5770 on that thread to fit the guys 750$ budget

Hehe looks like you didn't read the thread here ^_^, what I was considering is a 5850.

I did read the thread. And I wholly agree with red about waiting for the HD 5830. I just feel that the AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE will be a much better buy over a Core i3. I think the others would agree too.

I did read the thread. And I wholly agree with red about waiting for the HD 5830. I just feel that the AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE will be a much better buy over a Core i3. I think the others would agree too.

Oh I'm sorry I thought that you thought that I was doing the i3 system with 5770 as I posted in the dudes thread, I see now you mean to replace the 5770 in the system you suggested with a 5830!!

This system is mainly for gaming where i3 dual core will be much better then quad AMD

actually the X4 965 945 or 955 will beat the i3 530/540 hands down in almost everything. and especially in gaming.

Was waiting for you to show up Greg!!! :D

How do you think the X3 720 holds up against the i3?

It is a better gaming CPU for sure. as far as rendering,compression,and encoding, its a 50/50 split. in some test's the 720 is right between the i3 530 and the 540.

It is a better gaming CPU for sure. as far as rendering,compression,and encoding, its a 50/50 split. in some test's the 720 is right between the i3 530 and the 540.
That's nice, answer your mail.

OK, just to appease the topic police, what happens if you overclock the i3-530 (or) 540...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back