New hard disk installed but laptop still dies off everytime it boots up

Hi guys,

I'm new here, so hi all :)

So anyhow, here's my problem - I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 that has been giving me some problems of late, where the laptop dies off a few seconds after booting up. I first tried System Restore and it died on me, so I just booted into Safe Mode and changed some settings in msconfig. It came back to normal temporarily but everytime I scheduled a disk check or attempt to System Restore again, it will just black out.

So I did a PC check and diagnostics and it said that my HDD had failed. So in all fairness, I bought a new HDD and put it in. With the new HDD in, it gives me the message "No boot sector on internal hard drive". Now, thats not actually an error so I put my Vista installation DVD. As the files load, my laptop blacks out -- yet again. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Hi, when you say Blackout, do u mean that laptop looses power or it just restarts its self?
If its loosing power, i think check and make sure the fan is rotating you could start with checking the temp on the body of the laptop, underneath...
If thats the problem then i think you need to clean it with dry pressurized air, like a blower, and make sure you change the heat compound.
But if it restarts then there are many things to consider, one is you batter ok, if yes then run it on the batt like Tmagic650 told you to.
If not then make sure you do a windows repair.
Or go back to safe mode and read your error logs in eventvwr.msc
Hope that helps

Back