New Opera 9.5 now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Oslo, Norway - June 12, 2008 - Opera Software today released to the world the final public release of its flagship Web browser, Opera 9.5. Opera's cross-device expertise, support for open Web standards and commitment to speed and performance culminate to create the most powerful Opera browser yet. Making its desktop debut in Opera 9.5, Opera Link blurs the boundaries between computers and mobile phones by enabling a seamless Web experience from device to device. Opera 9.5 for Windows, Mac and Linux computers is available free from http://www.opera.com/.

What's new in Opera 9.5:

Opera Link: Your bookmarks, Speed Dial and even notes taken in the Opera browser can follow you anywhere. Opera Link keeps you synchronized between any Opera 9.5 desktop browser and Opera Mini, Opera's free browser for your mobile phone. In Opera 9.5 write a note--copy directions, create shopping lists or jot down anything you need to remember--and access it on any Opera 9.5 browser simply by logging in.

Find anything: If you can remember a word from a page you've read earlier, you can find that page easily with Quick Find. Just enter a word in the address bar to find matching text from any page you have visited.

Looking sharp: Opera makes a move to modernize its look and feel with a sharp, new skin with clean lines and clear icons. The 'New Tab' button and other elements have been modified to make the switch to a better Web experience more intuitive. You may also select any of our platform-specific skins to to adapt Opera's appearance to your operating system of choice.

Strengthened defense against malware and phishing: Opera's Fraud Protection not only protects you from fraudulent Web sites, but also is now the first publically-available browser to protect you from malicious software on the Web. Powered by Haute Secure, Netcraft and PhishTank, Opera's Fraud Protection technology automatically blocks offending Web pages to keep you out of harm's way.

Speed: Opera continues to lead in performance. Opera 9.5 makes dramatic speed improvements to the e-mail client, RSS feeds and the browser itself, so you can spend more time getting things done online.

Of course, Opera 9.5 includes many features Opera users have already come to know and love. Speed Dial, notes, the ability to save and restore browsing sessions after you close the browser, a trash can for accidentally closed tabs or e-mails, mouse gestures and many others bring a fresh approach to browsing the Web.

Opera is unique in its ability to provide a faster and more efficient use of the Web. Technlogies like mouse gestures, sessions and keyboard shortcuts quickly become second nature. The efficient, multi-layered Opera caching system, means less time spent waiting and more time spent browsing. Discover Opera for yourself today.

"Opera 9.5 represents the culmination of two years spent listening to our community and transforming our browser to add features and capabilities they have requested," said Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera. "Opera 9.5 offers new possibilities and capabilities. It's faster, lighter and pushes us further out in front of other browsers, by blending the mobile and desktop worlds together in new and powerful ways. We invite everyone to join us as we continue to shape the way the Web will evolve."

Availability
Opera 9.5 is available for Linux, Mac and PC computers and ships in more than 30 languages, with additional languages available soon. Opera is free from http://www.opera.com/

Using it now, not 100% sold on the new skin yet. The new tab button being pushed to the right side rather than left is throwing me off a bit, but it brings it more in line with IE7 and FF.

Other comments from the web are talking about speed improvements even over the beta releases.

http://my.opera.com/community/blog/opera-9-5

It's quite pretty looking and noticeably faster than 9.27.(Though still not as fast as safari) :)

I am sort of thrown off by the tab button too...but I usually go to File>New Tab anyway.

I'm not a fan of the new tab button but it doesn't really bother me that much as I use the mouse gestures to handle all my tab needs.

I don't mind the skin but I use the O' Simple skin anyway so I don't really care what the default one looks like, it is an improvement though.

The main thing I didn't like at all was how they moved the sidebar to a button in the top left corner instead of being avtivated by clicking the left side of the screen. I've removed that button (replaced it with the small bar on the left of the screen again) and the new tab button to make things look a bit more like they used to.

Good idea jtickner1. I too have now removed that sidebar button and replaced it with the New Tab one. This will make things much easier for me now. I use gestures for foward and back but not anything else.

It seems pretty fast to me, faster than the betas, I didn't comment on my expierences yesterday because the network here at work was having some issues, seems to be resolved today.

It seems a lot faster than 9.27 to me. As other people have also said im not to sure on the new theme. And why is opera now in my system tray? Im sure it can be removed from the system tray but it just seems wierd to me.

I have decided that while I don't disslike the new 9.5 theme I prefer the theme shadowgaurd which i used back with 9.27 and previous versions.

It isn't in my system tray. I think the problem I have with the new theme is that the tabs don't match the color of anything else, so they look out of place.

In Windows I installed over my 9.5b on my work machine and over 9.28? at home and it retained my bookmarks and wand passwords. On my Powerbook (OS X 10.5) at home I installed over 9.5b and it completely reset everything, no bookmarks, no wand passwords, even resized the window. So that kind of sucked, at least I could sync with MyOpera and get my bookmarks back, losing the wand passwords is pretty inconvienient though.

Well opera is faster than mast browsers i have used! Safari and opera are the fastest. But i can't get any image to pull up in opera even when i refresh the page.

I was already trying it out,

only issue I had was playing an online game the map didn't update to reflect changes.

larryiam said:
Well opera is faster than mast browsers i have used! Safari and opera are the fastest. But i can't get any image to pull up in opera even when i refresh the page.

You may not want to use safari -> google safari carpet bombing

Wow thats look bad. has safari fixed that? i use firefox. i tried safari and opera. they are both fast. but safari isn't secure and opera won't pull up any image for me.

larryiam said:
opera won't pull up any image for me.
Try pressing "i" or going to Tools -> Preferences -> Web Pages, then the first pull down has to do with images.

I just installed it and I kinda like the new look, although I did put the New tab button back in its old place. There is also a very noticeable increase in performance that I have seen, especially when loading Java-based pages.

Okay, after a few days of using it I have only 1 real problem with it that may not have anything to do with Opera itself.

More often then not when I view Youtube videos it causes Opera to crash. Right now I'm watching a few vids on Gametrailers and am yet to encounter any crashing.

About Opera in the system tray, SNGX, are you subscribed to any feeds using Opera?

It appears that if you ad the switch /notrayicon to a shortcut to opera you get no opera icon in the system tray. This is fine with me as Opera being in the system tray just annoys me. So my shortcut in my quicklaunch bar says Target: "C:\Program Files\Opera\opera.exe" /notrayicon

But when Opera opens without using the shortcut, like if someone sends me a link over IM and I dont have Opera open at the time it opens it up without using the shortcut and therefore I get the icon in my system tray :(

Well I'm pretty sure you only get it in the system tray if you're using it to read feeds. I know if you're using the mail client built into Opera it also puts it in the tray and I think they've changed it to do this as well with feeds. The reason I think this is because when I recieve feeds it changes from the Opera icon to a mail icon.

No, I am not using Opera for any RSS feeds. I actually use Google Reader for that, which suprisingly enough works fine in Opera.

Oddly enough I was having Opera crashing problems while looking at YouTube videos, but only on OS X and only very recently (prior to the 9.5 final). I have not had any sense. I would bet it is something YouTube did. Although I can't say for sure. For another oddity, some sites like Lifehacker wouldn't display properly on my Opera install (Windows) at work, but would on the same version at home....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Youtube crash is to do with Youtube only as I streamed a 21 minute episode of GT TV (On crappy 256kb/s Australia Broadband :|... I was keen) and I had not one problem.

Also, have Opera changed the download box? Removing the file size from it?
lamept0.jpg

I think I need to go to bed.

Well that was probably one of the most stupid things I've ever done haha.

I like Opera...but am using Firefox since I noticed some slight issues with speed :( . Hopefully this new version will have improved on that :) .

Jtickner1, that image you posted. was that using the New standard Opera 9.50 theme or a custom one?

Maybe I just didnt download anything when I was using the 9.50 theme, I dunno. It just looks really weird to me.

No tray icon here, it has to be a setting somewhere. NONE of my PCs I have it installed on have that crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back