New parts causing crashes

Hi there, I'm new here, hope you can help me out with my problem.

So over the last couple of weeks I upgraded my (I've had this for about three or four years now) :

CPU: FX-8350
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
RAM: 8GB 1333MHz (2x4GB)
GPU: RADEON HD 7870 (GHz Edition)
PSU: 750W Novatech

To:

CPU: FX-8350
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
*RAM: 16GB 1600MHz
*GPU: R9 290X MSI GAMING
PSU: 750W Novatech

[* = New]

And added in two SSDs. I also upgraded to Windows 8.

Since I upgraded I've been getting these weird black-screen crashes whereby the lights turn off on the keyboard and there's no response at all from the machine but the fans are still on at full speed. I have to then turn the PSU off or unplug it. Then I have to wait a few seconds before giving power back to the PSU in order to turn it all back on.

The first time the crashes happened was when I was playing COD:AW and loading a map like Detroit or Recovery. After I turned off Preload Shaders (Which allows you to load up more information during the loading screen so that you have a smoother experience after it) that crashing seems to have stopped.

So I just thought that was a bug with COD, until I started looking at overclocking my CPU. I ran Prime95 just to look at the temps and after a couple of minutes I got the exact same black screen crashes.

I think it might be the PSU, because it's old and technically a 'value brand', but I don't want to fork out on a decent PSU only to find it was my Mobo or CPU all along. So, yeah, any advice would be appreciated.

Put your old RAM back in, see if the problem goes away. (Alternatively, run memtest86+ overnight)

Based on what you said, it will be much quicker to swap the RAM back and run Prime95.

Also Prime95 can make u'r system pull more wats. or amps. than anything will otherwise.

What is the voltage rating on the new RAM? Your motherboard is rated at 1.5V for RAM, so if you mistakenly purchased 1.65V RAM, this could be the issue.
Also did you overclock the CPU and/or the GPU? If you did, try lowering the overclock settings.
I might also suggest (because some people let it slip their minds) that you un-install ALL video drivers and then do a fresh install with the latest drivers. I've seen a decent share of people just pop the old video card out and put the new one in and expect it to work properly. Sometimes it does, but sometimes it doesn't.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I just tried the old (2x4gb) ram back in and I'm getting the same problem. Run prime95 for a few minutes and boom, black screen and no responsiveness.

After reading around some forums and stuff I've found out that my motherboard doesn't properly support the FX-8350 and so it might be that it's overheating or something once the CPU goes into full blast mode for a few minutes.

The thing is, I can run things like the Heaven Benchmark utility over and over again with no probelm. It seems like as long as my CPU isn't being maxxed out, things are okay. I've been using this CPU-Mobo combo for almost two years now so I think I'm just gonna stick with it as long as I can, whilst looking for a good deal on a new and better mobo.

Are you updated to the most recent BIOS for you motherboard? That might solve your problem, if you haven't done so already. I would check out the BIOS version F7c for your board.

Back