New PC - advice needed

orondf

Hi,

Finally, it is time for me to get a new PC. I will build it myself. But I have no idea what to get...
I need a PC for video editing and rendering (preferably HD), MS Office, Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements v7, and surfing the web (firefox). I also like to overclock.
I would like the PC to have at least 500GB storage (WD), preferably 4GB RAM, and I'd like the PC to be cool and quiet.
I would like the price to be as low as possible (less than $600?).
[For simplicity, the prices should be in USD. I will search for the products myself. In Israel, some components aren't available.]
I do not game on my PC.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

It needs to include an OS, but not a monitor.

Is this build good?

AMD Athlon II X3 445 3.1Ghz AM3 BOX - $79
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H MicroATX - $90
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3-1333 CL9 F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL - $55
Western Digital Cavair Blue 500GB SATA2 16MB WD5000AAKS - $50
Corsair VX 450W Active PFC [+12V: 33A] - $55
Gigabyte MidiTower GZ-PB - $20
LG GH24NS50 DVD-RW x24 Dual Layer Sata Black - $19
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit English OEM - $100

Total: ~$470

Will this be powerful enough?

The AMD x3 will be good for most applications but with video rendering and editing you might want to get a x4 640 for about $99. For easy over clocking the x4 955 runs really well and it runs for about $144. The rest of the setup looks good.

Thanks for the help!
I will get one of the CPUs you mentioned.

BTW: Can you recommend an LCD monitor? I might upgrade in the future. (I found a monitor at ~25% off: LG 22" LCD W2253TQ-PF 2MS 1:50000 DCF DVI.)

Thanks for the suggestion.
I found the 1TB Samsung drive for a great price (lower than the WD 640GB Cavair Black or Blue). Update: I found a Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB for less than the WD 500GB.
I only found the older model of the PSU (EA-380, not "Green"), but at a good price. Is there a big difference between the models? ( Besides it being 80+, not bronze )
I have two questions:
1. My current PC has an IDE DVD burner (LG GH22NP20 22x). Is it worth re-using?
2. What are the benefits of getting CL8 or 1600 RAM?

Sorry, I have been busy lately.

I will be using the old DVD burner in addition to the new one. Actually, I think the new DVD burners are loud... :(

About the CPU: I have heard that 6-core processors are good for video editing. Should I get a 6-core processor? or maybe Intel Sandy Bridge? (When it's available...)

And which RAM should I get? 1333 CL8/7 or 1600 CL9/7 ?

The AMD 6 core is fine for video editing. The new sandy bridge will be a more modern processor with more features than the current AMD cpus but you will have to wait for it.

Sandy bridge hexacores won't be out for a long time.
The only other hexacore is the golftown, which is over $1000 dollars and a much more expensive motherboard. imo the amd 1055t should be good.
The antec power supply is fine but the samsung f1 drives are slow.

I would like to get an Intel sandy bridge CPU because it has a good price to performance ratio. Also, the price of the AMD 1055T isn't that great.

The new sandy bridge will be a more modern processor with more features than the current AMD cpus but you will have to wait for it.

The Intel sandy bridge processors already came out in Israel and the price isn't higher than it should be. I found the Intel Core i5-2400 Tray CPU for a great price, but there are no CPU fans available for LGA1155. I guess I will have to get a Box CPU.

the samsung f1 drives are slow.

Thanks for the info. I will look into other drives.

I really need suggestions for which RAM to get, this is the cheapest RAM I could find:
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1333 CL9 which costs the same as Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9.

For more money, I could get (by price, ascending):
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1333 CL8
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1333 CL7
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1600 CL7 which costs the same as Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3-1333 CL7.

Any other RAM costs twice as much as it should except G.Skill low-end models.
Is HyperX any better than Ripjaws? Does the latency make a big difference in speed, or is it only in SuperPI?

As I mentioned in the first post, I live in Israel, and RAM prices are VERY strange. The RAM you mentioned costs more than it should, and the second one you mentioned isn't available at all.

The Intel sandy bridge processors already came out in Israel and the price isn't higher than it should be. I found the Intel Core i5-2400 Tray CPU for a great price, but there are no CPU fans available for LGA1155. I guess I will have to get a Box CPU.

The 1155 heatsink mounting holes are identical to the 1156 ones. I just mounted a Corsair H50 cooler that supports 775, 1366, 1156, AM2 and AM3 onto my i7 2600K processor in a 1155 socket board. I think you can use pretty much any 1156 compatible cooler. The stock cooler that comes with the new 2nd generation i core processors is more than sufficient if running stock speeds, is low profile and not too noisy.

I would like to get an Intel sandy bridge CPU because it has a good price to performance ratio. Also, the price of the AMD 1055T isn't that great.

Thanks for the info. I will look into other drives.

AFAIK the fan mounting for lga 1155 is the same as lga 1156. I've seen tons of makers instantly add lga 1155 to the comparability list so I'm pretty sure any lga 1156 heatsink/fan will work.

Also sandy bridge quad core>phenom II hexacore.

EDIT: Wow Arris, ninja'd me with the mounting info. I'm gunna get you...

samsung f1 drives are slow.

The F3s are meant to be a bit faster and don't seem to be much different in price (think they might just be a direct replacement). Myself and quite a lot of my friends swear by the Spinpoint range for mass storage. Prefer them to Hitachi, Seagate and WD disks. Nice reliable and quiet disks.

The price on the Hyper 212+ is ok, so I will get it. Thanks for the suggestion!

I still need to know what RAM to get from the Ripjaws series.

Well you said they are differently priced, so the RAM you want is dependant on what you're willing to pay.
All those RAM modules are fine really.

Back