New PSU, boot recognises 1 HDD not the other?

Morning or evening wherever you are,

I recently bought a new PSU, plugged it in to both my HDD, and after BIOS recognises both HDDs, I get the message "Disk Boot Failure Please insert boot disk" or something along those lines.

Anyway with the old PSU plugged back in both disks will work and system will load normally.

After thinking the PSU was faulty I randomly tried starting up using my new PSU with only my primary HDD in and viola, the thing boots up, only now I have no back up disk connected.

I guess my question would be why such a conflict, that when both HDDs are plugged in with the new PSU the system will not load, but with only main boot HDD in, system loads perfectly. Surely a backup disk, with no boot info on it wouldnt' cause a boot failure, and why does this only happen with the new, better, PSU. Hmm.

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply

also odd because the boot HDD is older than the oen that causes no boot, both are SATA.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yeh there is one long cable coming from the PSU with three SATA connectors on it. One at the top, middle, and bottom. So I've connected the two HDD's on the same cable

Looking at the pics on newegg, there should also be a modular cable that you can use for SATA. Try plugging each HD into a separate cable.

Your PSU has enough horsepower to handle your system, but sometimes a single cable may have too much draw on it.

Its unlikely, as I've had 4 SATA drives hooked up to a single cable on a 450W PSU with no problems, but its worth a shot.

Back