New SATA Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've upgraded my system from ide to sata. I installed the sata. And now when i proceeded to install vista it doesn't show my new drives. I tried every thing and can't get it to work. Does anyone know how to do this. Cause i'm at a losss

SATA drives need to be setup, if they were OEM bagged drives. Follow jobeard's excellent advice, and if you have trouble, look at the website of the drive manufacturer for software and setup suggestions. All manufacturers except Toshiba and Tri-Gem have superb help for dealing with the issue.
After that, if still not working, try replacing one or both of your SATA cables with the newer locking cables... There are significant numbers of SATA cables that are resulting in failures on the system.

when i change from ide to raid in the bios, the bios and the OS doesn't recognize it, but when i enable ide then the bios recognized it. and when i reinstall windows it doesn't recognize it, but it recognizes it when i boot up on my regular drive with my os and in my computer it shows the drives. do i have to install the drives when i install windows where it says load driver?

Do you have the drivers. Have you downloaded them, or did they come on a disk?
You do need to install the drive, either with the download driver or an install disk.
There are instructions on how to do this on the manufacturer's website for each brand and model of SATA hard drive.

i was told by the hard drive manufacturer that it is a vista problem. if anyone else can confirm this let me know:

Here's a copy of my full explanation from another post:

I bought two 500 gig sata drives. In installed them as a 5th and 6th drive as back up and file storage. I wasn't able to see them in my computer so went into disk management and formatted and created drive letters. Then the drives/partition showed up. Rebooted and still everything looked great. Then I decided to just clone the OS onto my new sata, cloning was successful it booted up and the desktop showed up and then all of a sudden a prompt showed up saying that i had a pirated OS. Which that is impossible as i paid for the OS. I then had to reboot as for some reason i wasn't able to do certain things and now I wasn't able to boot up as it said that there was a corrupted .sys file. Well I wasn't a happy camper and am furious as now I can't access my drives.

So i was going to reinstall windows I tried setting up raid but for some reason the drive doesn't even show up in the bios, so i disabled the raid, now the drives show up in the bios, so i go to install windows and the drives are not showing up in the window where to install the drive.

I called my motherboard company and they said that it wasn't the motherboard, the, bios are up to date, i called wester digital and they said that it's a vista problem, so they told me to call microsoft, and of course microsoft won't help you unless you pay them. they make a tone of money but won't help you with an issue that shouldn't even be happening.

so right now as it stands the drives do show up in the bios but won't show up under the section to where to install the OS. Does anyone know why vista won't recognize my new sata drives?[/B][/B]

Here's a copy of my full explanation from another post:
...Then I decided to just clone the OS onto my new sata, cloning was successful it booted up and the desktop showed up and then all of a sudden a prompt showed up saying that i had a pirated OS. Which that is impossible as i paid for the OS.
From the MS perspective, that's a pirated OS. The install is specific to the HD Serial number and your OEM or original install is different. You have to jump thru hoops if you have a real HD failure, replace it and then get MS to beleive you didn't just clone another copy.

So i was going to reinstall windows I tried setting up raid but for some reason the drive doesn't even show up in the bios,
Mistake #2. You didn't need and MS does not like the OS on a RAID; raid is a server option for failsafe, not a client option to avoid backup/restore.

It appears that what Western Digital told you is consistent with the commentary of Jobeard. Take a serious look at Jobeard's comments because I doubt you will get much help from the Motherboard manufacturer.
We will need specific details at TechSpot to get through this... Motherboard, Specific Hard drive, configuration, Operating System,
Also the way you have installed Hard Drive 5 and Hard Drive 6 may have something to do with it.
Or perhaps we can just learn from you.
But it is beginning to look like a "VISTA" or Operating System install issue.

here's what i've been doing while waiting for an answer, i was able to install winxp and winxp was able to see the sata driver, but then i tried again with vista and it still didn't work. the motherboard manufacturer is helping me but is able to fix the vista problem. they did say it was a motherboard problem, western digital said it wasn't a hard ware problem, I already know prior to creating this discussion that it is a vista problem. I have posted to microsoft answers but not really getting anything that will help me, but when i do i will post it here. However, i do think the specifications at this moment are irrelevant as, my cmos does see the hard drive and winxp did see it as well. this tells me it's a vista issue.Like I said once i get the information i will post it here as this would be a good source of information that one would need.

Have you tried reinstalling VISTA, or at least installing VISTA in R for Repair mode...
It seems very strange that you find the problem with is otherwise not commonly reported by other users.

yes, i did everything. It may seem strange to you, but it is common by other users as this problems has happened to others as I have read on other forums. It's a problem with vista, reinstalling windows is not applicable or repair mode either. The problem if you haven't read my problem thoroughly is that i can't install vista as it doesn't show my sata drive. THAT IS THE PROBLEM

Just as in Windows XP you have to install SATA/RAID drivers during the Windows installation process since even Vista does not come with all needed SATA drivers. Did you do that?

in winxp you don't have to install the sata drivers, if you people read what i'm posting you don't have to be redundant. i tried install the sata drivers in vista with sata drivers from Sis and my motherboard manufacturer, it's not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back