New Sony SmartWatch might be released next week

David Tom

sony smartwatch google sony apple mobile computing smartwatch mae wearable tech

For a product that has yet to be released, Google’s Project Glass has definitely sparked an interest in wearable computing. In addition to their high-tech eyewear, the search giant is purportedly working on a phone-compatible smartwatch. On a similar note, rumor has it that Apple will soon announce plans for an Intel powered “iWatch”. But what few people realize is that smartwatches are not a new phenomenon – Sony has entered this niche before, and going by a tweet by the Sony Xperia division, they're set to release their third rendition of the device.

Accompanied by the hashtag #itstime, the tweet foreshadowed the watch’s release at the upcoming Mobile Asia Expo (MAE) being held next week in Shanghai. A follow up tweet also included a photo of the new hardware; something that closely resembles its predecessor from just a year ago. 

sony smartwatch google sony apple mobile computing smartwatch mae wearable tech

Unfortunately, the tweets are currently the only things we know about the new Sony product, but hopefully it will be a significant improvement over past models, dubbed the SmartWatch and LiveWare, respectively.

Sony's SmartWatch was able to connect with most Android phones and could display SMS, Twitter feeds, and it also offered convenient music controls. That being said, the devices were criticized for having a hard-to-follow interface, as well as difficulty with phone integration. Not to mention the fact that apps were of limited use, and at a price of $149.99 for the latest model, it was too expensive to be a novelty device.

However, with a newfound global interest in these type of devices, Sony might actually have the upper hand against Apple and Google. Neither one of them has dabbled in this space before, while Sony already has an existing product to build upon.

Permalink to story.

I'm wearing my current watch since 2007, never once having any problem, even after having hit real hard against just about any type of surface (asphalt, steel objects). Solar panel for the dial assures I never have to worry about the battery, there isn't any, a perpetuum mobile, pretty much :)

With this new kind of product I will have to always keep my eye on the battery, instead of time, and I suspect it won't last pass 2 days. Probably will crack if dropped and die under water. Not the kind of technology you would trust on a trip, if at all. I think it is just a fashion toy, a gimmick more or less.

Ever heard a reference for something being "like clockwork"? Well, making a clock that's highly unreliable in this age is like introducing a square wheel.

This is so awesome,I'm so tired of a stupid watch that just tells time.

Right, how about watch that tells you nothing at all? You look at it and find out the battery is dead yet again. That should feel stupid, especially when someone asks you time, you look at it and arh, well,...sorry... :)

A good watch can be passed on to the next generation ;) And if you still feel the old-fashioned watch is stupid, tell it to this guy... ;)

What likely is going to happen is that when battery is low, the watch turns to low power mode and only display time and have no other functionality.

Sony needs to bundle the Smart watch and the phone together. People will use it because it comes with the phone.

I'll really have to invest in a Google smartwatch & glasses before anyone else does then go stand in the queue at MI6 and hope like hell 'Q' will employ me as Agent 007.1 (I wonder if they'll consider non British subjects) It should be a cakewalk with all the gimmicks I'll bring to the table.

Right, how about watch that tells you nothing at all? You look at it and find out the battery is dead yet again. That should feel stupid, especially when someone asks you time, you look at it and arh, well,...sorry... :)

A good watch can be passed on to the next generation ;) And if you still feel the old-fashioned watch is stupid, tell it to this guy... ;)

The top comment on that video is priceless :)

I agree that battery life matters. I do think that a tech watch is cool, but I don't want to charge it often. Touch Time is the only tech watch I know about which promises a long battery life (1 year), but I'll be waiting to see how it ends up before getting too excited.

Meh, nothing to get excited about unless some new technology is released in tandem with this. E.g. battery tech...

For something as low-profile as a watch at $150, I have my 'hope dial' set to 1.

Back