New specs not working well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conjon

Hi I play counter strike source, my fps on the game hasnt always been great so i decided to start upgrading from:
-Basic asrock mobo (doesnt support dual core nor pci-e)
-Pentium 4 3GHz cpu
-1gig ddr memory
-420w psu
-7300GT 256mb AGP gfx card

I've got all new specs since apart from my pent 4 which im going to have make do with for now.
New specs:
-Gigabyte P31-SD3L mobo
-2gig ddr2 OCZ memory
-600w ez cool psu
-8600GTS 256mb DDR3 pci-e gfx card

Its all working once i put it together and with all the same settings as before its giving me even worse fps than my old specs when these are alot better.
I know the game is cpu-based but still this should gain me more fps and its not doing, all drivers are up to date iv tried loads, any suggestions, please. thanks.

new ram speed is 400mhz but ddr2 so 800, old speed was not sure half that maybe, but the new ram is ddr2 higher clock speed and double the size of the old ram :S

btw iv tried reofrmatting that was no help at all, done all windows updates all drivers sorted, the only thing i have really changed was a new layer of thermal paste on the cpu as the old one was almost gone.

I guess you mean DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). One thing you can try is go into the BIOS and make sure the RAM voltage is set to the correct level. I believe the motherboard default is 1.8V but many OCZ models use higher voltages like 2.1V. They vary so check your specific RAM.

Also, while you are in the BIOS check what voltage readings you are getting from your power supply. That is, how far off are the reported readings from 3.3V, 5V and 12V? For example, if they are too low, your components cannot perform to their potential.

voltages are fine, i tried adding 0.3v to my memory but it didnt change maybe you could talk me through how to do it.
I noticed my cpu is running at 90 degrees C which i think is way too hot?
It may be because its not tightened on properly, out of the 4 tighteners i could only manage to get 2 on, yet the heatsink and fan still covers the cpu fully.

Thats it i managed to clip the cpu on properly and it seems to be working great now, still could you walk me through how to change the voltage for my memory, thanks.

Once you increase the voltage to the desired amount back out of the menus by tapping the "Esc" key and be sure to "Save & Exit Setup" from the BIOS. Perhaps you just forgot to save the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back