New system seems unstable during video/flash?

I just build a new system, and while it's been ok, I've been getting nagging BSOD about every day or 2. Most seem to hit when flash is running, but I'm not certain.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88005FC6D38
BCP3: FFFFF880027C4118
BCP4: FFFFF880027C3970
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\111211-8236-01.dmp
C:\Users\TH11\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-24460-0.sysdata.xml

The system:
Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit
MB: Asus P8Z68-V PRO
CPU: i7-2600k (running at factory settings)
RAM: 8Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
SSD: Corsair Force 3 F90GB3 -BK 90Gb
Graphics: Sapphire HD 6970

I did get an disk error report about a week back for the SSD, but when it did a chkdsk nothing was reported. From that error report and what searching I could do it seemed it was possible that it was just a data writing error that made the disk that one time?

Attachments

• 111211-8236-01.zip
    18.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 111111-8034-02.zip
    24.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 111011-7768-03.zip
    18.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 110711-9016-04.zip
    22.3 KB · Views: 3
Having analysed the minidumps the most likely suspect is the RAM. But there is also a hint at the graphics driver and the SSD.

I would start by testing the RAM and see how it goes.

Preliminary checks
You should first check the model of RAM stick that you have on the manufacturers site for the recommended voltage setting and then make sure it is set correctly in the PC's Bios. An incorrect voltage setting may be the reason for your problems so test the PC's performance again if the voltage was incorrect.

Errors can also be caused by dirty contacts, mismatched sticks or using them in the wrong slots. Check all sticks are the same make and specification, check the motherboard manual for the correct slots to use. Remove all the sticks and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and blow out the slots with a can of compressed air.

Download Memtest86+ from here

When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file you have downloaded. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Testing
Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 8 cycles or until it is showing some errors. If errors show in the test, remove all but one of your RAM sticks and repeat the test on each stick until you find the one that is faulty. This is a long slow test and should ideally be run overnight.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

IMPORTANT
Always disconnect your PC from the mains supply when removing Ram sticks and earth your hands to discharge any static electricity to avoid damage to sensitive components. If performing this test on a laptop PC you should also remove the battery before removing or replacing the RAM sticks.

Back