New Tesla customers will be forced to pay for 'Premium' cellular internet connectivity...

Polycount

Staff
Why it matters: Existing Tesla vehicle owners may have been concerned that their free access to cellular internet would end this year based on statements the company made back in 2014, but Tesla is eliminating those concerns now. Current Tesla drivers will retain seemingly-permanent free access to cellular connectivity, but new customers will soon need to buy into a "Premium Connectivity package" to get the same privilege.

Tesla's premium all-electric vehicles have always been designed with luxury and convenience in mind, as evidenced by the cars' ever-growing suite of autopilot self-driving features, large "infotainment" screens for navigation or music playback, and several additional functions designed to enhance driver comfort.

One such luxury feature has been Tesla's free cellular connectivity, which has been a standard in the company's vehicles since 2012. Cellular connectivity allows drivers to browse the web and obtain live traffic data from virtually anywhere.

Unfortunately for prospective Tesla customers, the company is making a few changes to their free internet connectivity policy soon, as they said they would back in 2014. However, these changes won't work quite like some may have anticipated.

In 2014, Tesla claimed cellular connectivity would only be free for four years, after which all customers would have to pay for the privilege. Now, according to Electrek, the company will only require new Model 3, S, or X customers to pay for their data usage. Existing Tesla users will be grandfathered into the new "Premium Connectivity package" at no additional cost.

Speaking of connectivity packages, in addition to the aforementioned Premium service, which will reportedly cost around $100 per year, Tesla will also offer a free "Standard Connectivity package." This package will only let users access cellular data for essential apps, or apps that don't use much data.

The Premium package, on the other hand, will give users full access to seemingly unlimited data for any purpose, whether it be live traffic data, music streaming, or web browsing.

These changes are set to go into effect on July 1, according to Electrek, so if you've wanted to buy your own Tesla for a while, now is the time to do so.

Permalink to story.

Tesla once again showing their lack of commitment to customers. This is yet another "luxury" that you have to pay for that early adopters didnt, much like supercharger access.

Musk is just making his products less appealing.

Tesla once again showing their lack of commitment to customers. This is yet another "luxury" that you have to pay for that early adopters didnt, much like supercharger access.

It's certainly unfortunate, but understandable in my opinion. Supercharger access is a little more iffy, but data is definitely expensive - given the company's money problems, it doesn't really come as a surprise to see them charge for certain "luxury" features like this.

But, at the same time, their vehicles are very pricey, so it also makes sense (from a customer perspective) to expect a certain level of convenience and/or quality.

If you can afford a Tesla, you can afford $100 a year for premium internet connectivity in your car. I'm willing to bet most Tesla owners will not care. I can spend $100 without questioning myself - it's not a bank-breaking amount of money.

The first model Tesla model S was sold around $74,500 - $135,000 MSRP. Surely at this price the free internet is viable in this model. Beside, they did the right thing to do to honor this so called grandfather internet plan to existing customers.

If I were Tesla and just to shut down the critics mostly the non-owners, I could have just included another $2000 ( a least) to the MSRP and permanently have the internet connectivity unlimited until the car's life or at least 5 years. Most tesla owners dont mind that added fee unlike most Techspot members who cries when the gas in the pump goes up.

They've been doing this for 6 years to help appeal to new customers. Now being more established in the auto industry, was it really expected they would continue to do this? I'm not surprised, nor do I think it'd be smart/necessary to continue the promotion.

Side note - I couldn't just hotspot my phone to the thing I assume? That's what I do with my Android head unit now, works great.

I was riding in an Acura Suv over the weekend and noticed that of all things, EMAIL access was presented on the center console while the vehicle was in Motion!! Year+Model is unknown to me and if that might be configurable or not is also unknown, but sure the HECK should be!! Hands-off aint the issue here; it's KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD!

Tesla is losing money by the armored truck load.

Musk is treading water and tightening up his belt, to safeguard his personal wealth, while trying to keep stock Tesla prices up.

Although it has to be said, many Tesla shareholders are detached enough from reality that all Musk has to do is swear the company is going to turn around the day after tomorrow, and their heads will nod and produce a loud rattle in agreement.

As far as me feeling sorry for people who own $100,000 automobiles having to pay $100.. a year for high speed internet, you can dream, just don't hold your breath..

I pay over $600.00 dollars a year for a no frills land line, and 25/25 Mbs FIOS. (The lowest tier, BTW)..

Last edited:
Back