New to programming, where to start?

I've heard a lot about how knowing programming (java, c++, python,etc) can help you in when using computers . I'm interested in programming but I don't know what to do. I don't know where or how to start. do you need to buy/download software from anywhere? I'm thankful for any help.

What are you interested in doing? Making computer programs/apps for an OS like Windows or OS X? iOS or Android? Or programming robots and microcontrollers? Do you want to create a website or blog? Or something else?

I think the best beginner language is Python. Then you can move onto programming languages based on your interests. If you want to code apps for iOS for example, you would need to know Objective C and a bit of Cocoa (specific language for OS X/iOS).

So, what are you interests?

What are you interested in doing? Making computer programs/apps for an OS like Windows or OS X? iOS or Android? Or programming robots and microcontrollers? Do you want to create a website or blog? Or something else?

I think the best beginner language is Python. Then you can move onto programming languages based on your interests. If you want to code apps for iOS for example, you would need to know Objective C and a bit of Cocoa (specific language for OS X/iOS).

So, what are you interests?

I'm mostly interested in creating websites for myself or others. Computer programs and apps interest me a little but creating websites seem to mostly have my interest right now. Any ideas where to start with interest in that area? I'll also take a look into the Python book.

I'm mostly interested in creating websites for myself or others. Computer programs and apps interest me a little but creating websites seem to mostly have my interest right now. Any ideas where to start with interest in that area? I'll also take a look into the Python book.
Use the Python book @SNGX1275 recommended.

If you want to create websites, you will need to know HTML (HTML 5 is the most current language), CSS, PHP, and some flash (this is dying and may not be needed if you are using HTML 5). Basically, you need to know HTML since that is the core. Second, you would need to know CSS since this is what makes your website look good. I think you will need to know some PHP. Hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong about the above things.

Back