New Vaio BSOD all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulaSGomes

Hey guys,
I just got a Vaio, this weekend, and I've already seen the BSOD more times than before in my entire life!!
Can someone please help me? It's driving me crazy, it's a brand new notebook..

The model is VGNFW490J. I'm attaching the problem report files and here's the additional info:

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF800025E0B81
BCP3: FFFFFA60019D2798
BCP4: FFFFFA60019D2170
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

I don't understand much about computers.. but I've tried the basics (troubleshooting drivers and stuff) and it all seems ok.

The problem usually occurs in the first 20 minutes after I turn the notebook on, for about 3 to 4 times.. and then it stops and the notebook goes back to working continuously.

Please please please somebody help me! I have no idea what I should do to solve this!

Thanks a lot!

PS: I just tried loading the report files, but they're all bigger than 200kb.. any suggestions there too?...

If it is still new, give it back to Sony to fix RIGHT... they get away with moider.
Sony needs to know how many people are piffed off, and what is necessary for people to be happy about those VAIO laptops.

the problem is.. I bought it in the US.. but brought it back to Brazil, where I live.. so I guess tech support is not really an option.. I was thinking maybe I could try to fix it myself..

It appears to be a hardware problem... but the BCC codes are not familiar. Unfortunately any of a number of things can cause that error code, as it is really reporting a memory dump... and part of the code tells you of a device or a driver that is failing.
It would be helpful to know more details about the configuration of your VAIO.... memory, CD/DVD player, video graphics, etc...
Commonly reported items for your computer include: Memory parity error (is all the memory installed the same brand and speed?), optical drive error (can your uninstall and reinstall your CD/DVD player?), Video graphics driver or device is failing (does it have a separate video card installed?), External device connection error (do you have an iPod installed?), Security or scanner issue (commonly SpyBot or Adaware - if either are installed, remove them.), VISTA doesn't like the firewall - do you have Comodo or ZoneAlarm installed). Also the error is common on Sony AMD computers. What chip does yours have?
Sorry this may not be much help, but we have to start somewhere.
List anything you installed after purchase that has to do with running external devices, additional memory, drivers for other devices.
I would start by removing one memory module, then see if the problem remains while using the other. Then switching memory modules and try again.
And just so we know, look in your Device Manager for any yellow or red flags or alerts.
We will find this problem if you have the patience to inform us.

Hi,
here is some more info:
the problem code that appears on the blue screen:

0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFF800026883AA, 0xFFFFFA60019EE708, 0xFFFFFA60019EE180

does that help?

Some additional info (don't know if those files already say this):
Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T9900 @3.06GHz
CPU Clock Frequency 3.07GHz
System memory 4 GBytes
Cache Memory 6 MBytes

Product info
Manufacturer Sony Corporation
Model Name VGNFW490J
Service Tag Number 9688498-3112577
BIOS version R3100Y0
OS version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

The only new thing that was installed was a 500gb HD (7200rpm)

If you need some addtional info, just tell me..
thanks a lot!

I also have here the links to the error report files.. but I need 5 posts so I can post links.. hold on... this is post 4...

Despite where you bought the laptop, I would try contacting Sony tech support in Brazil to see if you can get warranty support. It can't hurt to try and if successful, you will save a ton of aggravation. I tried looking it up but once it turned into Portuguese I was lost.

hey guys
I think I've solved the problem here.
I went to the sony site and started the online support by chat. There, I was instructed to restart in safe mode and then go to control panel, uninstal programs, view updates and then unninstal the following update: KB973879.

So far, I haven't got the blue screen again, so seems to have worked. Apparently, this is a common issue with the Windows Vista and Microsoft is aware of it. So let's hope that when we upgrade to the windows 7 problems like this won't happen anymore..

If there are any more updates here, I'll let you know.
Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back