New Volkswagen ID. Life will bring EV to the entry-level in 2025

jsilva

Something to look forward to: EVs popularity has grown significantly in the last decade, but they are still far from being the new norm, in part due to their price. There's a noticeable lack of entry-level EVs on the market, but by 2025, Volkswagen plans to change that with its new €20,000 car, the ID. Life.

The ID. Life was announced by Volkswagen during the International Motor Show IAA Mobility 2021 held in Munich, where the company also showed a self-driving vehicle made in partnership with Argo AI.

Judging by its looks and specifications, VW's new affordable ID concept is like a crossover model of the ID.3, but with less rounded aesthetics. Moreover, sustainability was also taken into account, using recyclable materials in the car's interior and exterior. The seat surfaces and door trims employ ArtVelours Eco finishes, and the dashboard and the rear seats surrounds are predominantly made out of wood, providing an elegant yet minimalistic interior that's pleasing to see.

The roof and the hood are removable and feature an "air chamber textile" made from recycled bottles, reducing the vehicle's overall weight and giving it an "open-air feeling." The body's clear coat uses bio-based hardener and has wood chips encrusted into it, working as a "natural coloring agent." Even the tires are made of bio-friendly materials such as bio-oil, natural rubber and rice husks.

Besides the focus on sustainability, VW also wants the ID.Life to be "a reliable companion for digital experiences." The included console, projector, and projector screen that comes out of the dashboard can convert the ID.Life in a cinema/gaming cave in seconds. The seats can be adapted into a long chair with leg rest by folding the front seats. Additionally, the rear seats can also be folded backward or frontward to make a bed or extend the luggage area.

Unlike traditional cars, the ID.Life will use cameras and displays instead of exterior and interior mirrors. All functions can be controlled through a touch panel on the steering wheel, which can also be used to pair a phone or a tablet with the car's system. Once connected, you can use these devices to control functionalities such as the navigation system or play music, films and games on the projection screen.

Equipped with a 234PS (172KW) electric motor, the ID.Life goes from zero to 100 km/h in 6.9 seconds. Using VW's front-wheel modular electric drive matrix (MEB) for small EV cars, the ID.Life's 57KWh battery allows drivers to make a 250-mile trip in a single charge, as per WLTP standards.

"In creating the ID. Life, we have consistently focused on the needs of younger customers. We believe that, even more so than today, the car of the future will be about lifestyle and personal expression. The customer of tomorrow won’t simply want to get from A to B; they will be much more interested in the experiences that a car can offer. The ID. Life is our answer to this." said Ralf Brandstätter, CEO of VW.

VW's upcoming compact crossover is planned to release in 2025 for around €20,000 ($23,738). By 2030, VW expects to increase its share of EVs in total sales to 70% in the European market and 50% in America and China.

Permalink to story.

Now this is one ugly vehicle. I would not be caught dead in that eyesore, let alone buy one.

@VW
Seriously, you get function AND fashion into the same vehicle. The above is an example of how NOT to design a vehicle.

Now this is one ugly vehicle. I would not be caught dead in that eyesore, let alone buy one.

@VW
Seriously, you get function AND fashion into the same vehicle. The above is an example of how NOT to design a vehicle.

I agree but I think VW will change its shape to be more aerodynamic which is a must for an electric car...!

"Besides the focus on sustainability, VW also wants the ID.Life to be "a reliable companion for digital experiences." The included console, projector, and projector screen that comes out of the dashboard can convert the ID.Life in a cinema/gaming cave in seconds"

So sustainable, suing a bunch of digital display panels and parts that cannot be repaired and are made in chinese sweatshops with 0 environmental protections. Also really sustainable making a car that will undoubtedly be unable to be repaired in 5-10 years as parts are no longer available, forcing early retirement.

Also there is 0 way they are going to get this thing to $23K with all these technologies unless it has a 50 mile range battery, which will fail the same way every short range EV has failed. People buying entry level vehicles dont need tesla level bells and whistles, they need a cheap, reliable car they know will last a long time without breaking down. Look at cars that fill that niche today. The chevy spark, nissan versa, ford fiesta, fiat 500, list goes on, all very simple basic vehicles.

@VW

They should have just made it a camper van shape, it would suit the goal lot better.

"Besides the focus on sustainability, VW also wants the ID.Life to be "a reliable companion for digital experiences." The included console, projector, and projector screen that comes out of the dashboard can convert the ID.Life in a cinema/gaming cave in seconds"

So sustainable, suing a bunch of digital display panels and parts that cannot be repaired and are made in chinese sweatshops with 0 environmental protections. Also really sustainable making a car that will undoubtedly be unable to be repaired in 5-10 years as parts are no longer available, forcing early retirement.
EVs need substantially less maintenance than vehicles containing ICE engines. But feel free to keep comparing apples to oranges.

@VW
Now won't it be funny if it sells really well. I've been noticing a significant number of Tesla's on the roads where I live. We'll see.

Now won't it be funny if it sells really well. I've been noticing a significant number of Tesla's on the roads where I live. We'll see.
I’d love an electric car, they save you loads of money on fuel. I’d take an ugly electric vehicle over a pretty petrol one. It’s not me that has to look at it. But they cost too much to just buy outright. Even this for $20,000 is a bit much.

Also I’ve noticed loads of Tesla’s too. But I do know that corporate Britain is now embracing Tesla and offering it as company cars. My brother got a model 3 from his company, the bastard. All I get is a dinghy to the shore!

Consumer preferences can change a lot faster than expected. And, frankly, this car isn't any uglier than a lot of older ICE in major European cities.

American's have already embraced Teslas (gasp!). They are still rare in rural places but are perfectly normal in densely populated areas.

I can see this car (and the like) allowing US families to have a car (who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford one) or for a family to have a cheap & reliable 2nd car. $24k is right on par with even the cheapest/ugliest new ICE cars.

Didn't look that bad to me, until I saw pictures of the inside. And then the concept of self-driving ruins it completely.

Still 4 years too late, but hey at least we've got 4 years to try (And let's be honest, very likely fail) to transition electric generation into renewables and nuclear instead of fossils so that electric cars would actually have an impact.

The problem in the USA for electric vehicles is still charging infrastructure, the lack of dedicated fast charging in areas outside LA and the Bay area is a serious issue. Most people outside the metro areas putting the money down on a tesla or other EV have a house and garage to charge there car in every night. The same can't be said of someone trying to charge a cheap $25,000 EV. Until the charging infrastructure is there it doesn't matter what you sell these cars for. I bet a 150mile range car would sell great if the charging infrastructure was everywhere and fast charging was available and could get you 100 miles in 10 min or so.

It's certainly a nice step up from fist WD/Skoda EV's, but I feel like this generation has little to offer compared to competition ... like Tesla, Hyundai/Kia or even Toyota hybrids/plugins.
BUT certainly in Europe, where EURO6,7...8 etc. can push aggressively towards pure electrification + potential future state incentives, would make, in my eyes subpar EV's made by WD group, really attractive.
Not really in my particular country, where charging stations exists only in few (two) big cities, so people with garage pretty much have to own their own wall box.
+ Man, ID.4 is so slooooow and their infotainment is a chore to use or watch stutter and eventually freeze completely. Whoever designed their new system for WD, Škoda, Seat etc. should be exemplary punished :D

EVs need substantially less maintenance than vehicles containing ICE engines. But feel free to keep comparing apples to oranges.
In theory theory and reality are the same, in reality they are not:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30209598/2019-tesla-model-3-reliability-maintenance/

Also, nice whataboutism, I didnt speak of regular maintenance, I spoke of the impossible to repair infotainment systems that get shoved into these vehicles, are monumentally expensive, and consume vast resources to do things that are not necessary being promoted as "sustainable".

I’d love an electric car, they save you loads of money on fuel. I’d take an ugly electric vehicle over a pretty petrol one. It’s not me that has to look at it. But they cost too much to just buy outright. Even this for $20,000 is a bit much.

Also I’ve noticed loads of Tesla’s too. But I do know that corporate Britain is now embracing Tesla and offering it as company cars. My brother got a model 3 from his company, the bastard. All I get is a dinghy to the shore!
Sure, they're cheap, until the price of electricity increases to cover all that new infastructure and power generation. Doh!

California already sells power at 43c/kWh, and any time there is talk of additional power generation capacity (which you will need for more EVs) or upgraded transmission lines (ditto) talks of electric rates go up. If you replace all cars in a country with EVs then get ready for electricity to top 1$/kWh.

California already sells power at 43c/kWh, and any time there is talk of additional power generation capacity (which you will need for more EVs) or upgraded transmission lines (ditto) talks of electric rates go up. If you replace all cars in a country with EVs then get ready for electricity to top 1$/kWh.
That will never happen. If you put the price of energy up high then people won’t be able to afford to heat their homes and water and the energy companies will get less revenue. I have actually worked for energy companies in the past and increased demand actually lowers the unit price. Like in most industries actually.

Also 43 cents for a unit of energy is insane. I thought it was expensive here in the U.K. at 17p (23 cents). More evidence that California has descended into the gutter lol.

We all know that Teslas have crappy repair records. This vehicle is not a Tesla and its reliability is yet to be proven.
Also, nice whataboutism, I didnt speak of regular maintenance, I spoke of the impossible to repair infotainment systems that get shoved into these vehicles, are monumentally expensive, and consume vast resources to do things that are not necessary being promoted as "sustainable".
I guess in your whataboutism world a car cannot run without its infotainment system. :facepalm:
Sure, they're cheap, until the price of electricity increases to cover all that new infastructure and power generation. Doh!
Where did you get your crystal ball. I'd like to buy one, too.
California already sells power at 43c/kWh, and any time there is talk of additional power generation capacity (which you will need for more EVs)
Keep spreading that fallacy - https://www.virta.global/blog/myth-buster-electric-vehicles-will-overload-the-power-grid thanks to @scavengerspc for that link. And in the US it has been known for over a decade that there is more than enough electric generation capacity to power at least 70% of all light-vehicles on the road if they were electrified. http://energyenvironment.pnnl.gov/ei/pdf/PHEV_Feasibility_Analysis_Part1.pdf

The drive to EVs has started, and voices that spread misinformation will be ignored.
or upgraded transmission lines (ditto) talks of electric rates go up. If you replace all cars in a country with EVs then get ready for electricity to top 1$/kWh.
Where's the cost analysis to support this?

In theory theory and reality are the same, in reality they are not:
I just wanted to mention that you linked to an article that claimed maintenance costs and then went on to list an accidentally needed repair, so I will ask you if you believe smokers never get chipped glass or need tires?

Last, nobody ever claimed zero maintenance. We claim NEAR zero.
And it's true.

"Equipped with a 234PS (172KW) electric motor, the ID.Life goes from zero to 100 km/h in 6.9 seconds. Using VW's front-wheel modular electric drive matrix (MEB) for small EV cars, the ID.Life's 57KWh battery allows drivers to make a 250-mile trip in a single charge, as per WLTP standards."

That's pathetic performance.

My 2011 Subaru WRX does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and gets 300+ miles per tank. It takes less than 10 minutes to fill the tank.

EVs are disasters for longer trips.

True, its not great, but that was VW's choice. If you want much faster then you definitely need other EV's.

A SUBARU? :joy:

EVs are disasters for longer trips.

Well, he is correct in many cases - WD EVs are really slow.

TBH Subaru is really great as a company goes, they just released new BRZ and that's IMHO just the ultimate petrol sort of "sporty" car. Their quality and close relationship with Toyota really shows.

EV's certainly are disasters for longer trip, unless you are driving Tesla with their network of reliable chargers, you can get stranded in many countries pretty easily.

BTW Marques (mkbhd) just released a nice real use scenario for two-day trip in inefficient petrol (some Audi Q SUV), Tesla Plaid and EV "Mustang".

Well, he is correct in many cases - WD EVs are really slow.
Thats what I have been hearing. Maybe they are trying to be cost efficient.
Less powerful motors and batteries.

TBH Subaru is really great as a company goes, they just released new BRZ and that's IMHO just the ultimate petrol sort of "sporty" car. Their quality and close relationship with Toyota really shows.
I may be jaded. I have seen too many Subaru's rust into the ground over then years. Even now, they only average a 3.4 out of 5 reliability rating, although that seems to have been dragged down a bit by the Ascent, which is an absolute lemon from bumper to bumper.

EV's certainly are disasters for longer trip, unless you are driving Tesla with their network of reliable chargers
A lot of people who have done it disagree, and Tesla stations accept both. You watch MKBHD, so you know that Tesla stations can now use the J1772 connector for all EVs.

Back