Newegg's discount deception

cliffordcooley

I personally witnessed the Samsung EVO 860 500GB price hike when the discount codes were given. The price of the drive currently and before Black Friday was 72.99. During Black Friday while the $5 codes were valid, the price was 74.99.

The only reason I paid close attention this time is because I have noticed this behavior before. All in all it is not really hurting anything. But it is deception and should not be tolerated from any business. It is a form of false advertising which is prosecute-able. The fact that we have allowed this to become common place is a testament to how corrupt our nation has become.

True, which is why I buy on price - not the discount. Also, I've given up on Manufacturers Rebates - too many 'lost' or painfully slow. NewEgg sometimes has good prices, but not always.

Well Cliff, sometimes this effect can work in your favor. Amazon, Walmart, Newegg, Musician' Friend, Micro Center, and countless others constantly scan each other's sites for current pricing.

In the case of your issue with the price of the SSD while it may seem unethical, price up before the discount, you still did save 3 bucks, just not the entire 5.

I ordered a guitar pedal from M'sF, on one of their, "calls us for the best price" deals. While the pedal was priced 10 dollars more than Amazon, ($189,95 vs $179.95), I still got it for less than Amazon's price. I was given the choice of accepting the "coupon offer", or a match price, but not both.

In any event, M'sF comp shopped Amazon, and dropped their price to match Amazon, the next day. I just called back, and asked Musician's Friend to match their own new price with the coupon attached, and they did, giving me a credit on my credit card.

Whenever there's a return policy in effect, it gives the consumer a strong bargaining chip for a price match discount..

Back