Nexpaq brings modular components to your existing phone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Project Ara and subsequent “me-too” modular platforms are coming but with no solid release date or price in sight, the future still remains a bit of a mystery. For those looking to get started a bit sooner but don’t want to give up their existing smartphone, Nexpaq may be worth a look.

Nexpaq has essentially taken the modular concept and built it into a smartphone case. The case accepts a variety of add-on modules for things like additional storage, a removable USB flash drive, an amplified speaker, super LED flashlight and more (12 modules will be available initially). It also comes with a built-in 1,000mAh battery so you’ve always got some spare juice on the go.

pretend project ara google smartphone modular smartphone modules smartphone case nexpaq

The first Nexpaqs will be designed for iPhone 6, Samsung’s Galaxy S6 Edge and Galaxy S5. Interestingly enough, modules can be swapped between cases meaning your friend with the iPhone case can use your Edge modules and vice versa.

Nexpaq is currently seeking funding on Kickstarter. A pledge of $89 is all that’s required to guarantee you a Nexpaq with four modules (expected to ship January 2016). The company is seeking $50,000 to get the project off the ground and have already raised more than $16,000 as of writing from nearly 200 backers. With 30 days still left in the campaign, this one is certainly off to a good start.

pretend project ara google smartphone modular smartphone modules smartphone case nexpaq

And for the skeptics out there, Engadget recently paid the creators a visit and determined that they mean business.

Permalink to story.

Makeup modules and lie detectors for boyfriends... ah, women.

On a more serious note, this is a pretty interesting idea. I actually wouldn't mind being able to attach a few additional LED lights or a temp sensor. It would be quite useful for some of the stuff that I do. But the lack of a better locking mechanism concerns me. A removable pin that extends down either side of the case securing modules would be great. Simple slide in/out modules are ripe for accidents and theft.

Great idea IMO, although I'm not sure what more my phone needs atm. Camera is good, LED flashlight is good, expandable memory up to 128GB. Maybe the speaker idea isn't so bad, or a full sized HDMI module would be handy. It would almost make more sense to launch this for non flagship phones, you know phones that actually need to have their crappy parts upgraded, albeit the S6 lacks expandable memory so that would be nice to add on, but would you really want to ruin the look of your S6 Edge with this chunky case/accessory thing?

Just watched the video, lol at some of the ideas, mainly the ones coming from women, lie detector... really, also the walkies talkie idea, it's a bloody phone, just make a phone call...

Also it looks like the modules slide in somewhat securely, the locking pin is a good idea, make it part of the top cap to secure all the components together, problem solved.

Last edited:
Back