Next generation of Ryzen chips arrive in February (Updated)

midian182

Staff member

AMD’s Ryzen processors have finally given people an alternative to Intel when it comes to choosing a great CPU, but even the company itself admits there’s still room for improvement—the company said future generations of Ryzen chips will have better IPC (instructions per cycle), clockspeeds, and overclocking. Thanks to leaked slides on meopc.net, we now have confirmation that the first of these—the Ryzen 2000 Pinnacle Ridge desktop CPUs—are set to arrive in just over two months’ time.

We knew that the successor to the current Summit Ridge processors would launch in Q1 2018, but new leaks show the first next-gen Ryzen 7 chips shipping as soon as late February, while Ryzen 5 and 3 are set to launch in March.

The new chips are built on GlobalFoundries' 12nm process node, rather than the 14nm process used by Summit Ridge—essentially making Pinnacle Ridge AMD’s tick in the tick-tock model—and they use a refined Zen+ architecture. All of which means higher frequencies, power improvements, and (reportedly) support for higher DDR4 memory frequencies.

The introduction of the Ryzen 2000 chips will also see the launch of a new 400-series chipset, but compatibility with the existing AM4 socket remains. According to DigiTimes, X470- or B450-based motherboards will be the first of these to arrive in March. BIOS updates should ensure that 300 series motherboards are compatible with 2000 series Ryzen chips, but 400 series mobos will have the benefit of extra features, of course.

Low power and mobile versions of Pinnacle Ridge processors are expected to arrive around April, with 2nd generation Ryzen Pro parts set to launch in May.

Next year sees the launch of Zen 2 as AMD moves away from its Ridge naming system. Other than it also supporting Socket AM4, little else is known about Matisse.

2018 should be an interesting year for CPU fans. Not only will they have the choice of AMD’s new generation of Ryzen, but rival Intel will also be launching its 9th gen processors, which may be part of a Coffee Lake Refresh or even Ice Lake.

Update: The original version of this article included a slide that purportedly showed 2000 series Ryzen 7 chip details. This turned out to be a fake and has been removed.

Permalink to story.

We're living in very exciting times indeed, for the PC enthusiasts. I was just planning a SKL-X build and we don't stop getting more for the same! Just look at those prices-cores-frequency!!

We're living in very exciting times indeed, for the PC enthusiasts. I was just planning a SKL-X build and we don't stop getting more for the same! Just look at those prices-cores-frequency!!
Great times, especially for the GPUs.

Those specs look way too good to be true. Way too good. Are these really "confirmed" and not something photoshopped?
Pretty much everyone was expecting 4.4-4.5GHz max, not over 5GHz. And 12 cores @4.6GHz stock for a consumer part? O_o

The clockspeeds. Gimme all the HERTZ!

Have AMD ironed out the problems that has limited most Ryzen processors up to this point to 4GHz or thereabouts?

If so THIS is the actual real competition to Intel and not the first generation Ryzen. If they can all hit at least 4.6GHz then they will kick butt for gaming and single threaded performance will get a significant boost. Intel will still probably hold a gaming advantage but hitting those speeds with no other improvements at all would narrow the gap to near insignificance.

Last edited:
I'll wait until the benchmarks come out, but it seems like sIntel will be getting more competition with this tick of the AMD processor clock. I am glad I waited to do a new build. I may still wait even with this.

My best PC is an IvyBridge-E at this point, and I have seen no reason to upgrade with a 6-core part that has 40-pci-E 3.0 lanes.

We may finally be entering an era of great competition. I wonder what this will mean for Threadripper parts.

If AMD can deliver 4Ghz on 12C/24T for the $329 price point and still have good IPC, that is absolutely awesome.

Other tech news sites that rushed this story out today are already updating that the slide was a photoshop hoax. Was a nice dream while it lasted :)

I really hope amd catches intel when it comes to single thread performance. this looks very promising. if they can come within 5% of intels single core speeds or even match them I'll definitely buy one. I need to upgrade my 4690k so I can do some encoding as well as gaming but I don't want to pay intel premiums for their high core count processors. I know the 1800x is nice for gaming but it doesnt seem to be a worthy upgrade over my current setup when speaking about the gaming aspect. as for the encoding aspect etc the 1800x would smoke my 4690k but I just want a bit better gaming performance before I buy. I wish you the best amd. oh and make a better graphics card I'm not very impressed with vega

On top of other sites already reporting the slide was faked, there is another slide going around showing Threadripper 3970x 24-core @ 5.0 ghz base clock, 5.5 turbo clock for $899 in July. I would guess it's fake as well.

Well, at least they discovered it fairly fast. I knew something smelled fishy. Let's just wait for the official announcements. I'm sticking to the 4.4-4.5GHz max prediction.
The fake slides seem to be something that came from 4chan... damn these little trolls :p

Last edited:
My understanding is that you could never have a 12C due to the size of the AM4 socket and having only supporting 2 CCX.

Really don't want a hype train and in 2 months time we will find out.

I just hope to see a 2600X at 4.5-4.8GHz but I know they are mostly dreams.

My understanding is that you could never have a 12C due to the size of the AM4 socket and having only supporting 2 CCX.

I don't think that the socket size is a real limitation. The die is quite a bit smaller than the chip's package, and I'm sure that a die with 3 or even 4 CCX could fit in there even with the current process, let alone a smaller one. (Similarly to Intel adding 2 cores with the same chip size with Coffee Lake.)

I think that technically AMD could produce a 12 core AM4 CPU, but that doesn't mean it will do that. What I'm hoping to see is simply better single core performance, which is where AMD is still behind Intel. More cores is always nice, but it doesn't help gamers much.

the company said future generations of Ryzen chips will have better IPC (instructions per cycle), clockspeeds, and overclocking

this is all very well and good, but I also wonder if they will improve on their memory controller? It seems to be the most limiting thing about ryzen outside of core speed IMO.

Will we finally be able to run dual rank memory at 3.2 GHz+, or any other memory of our choosing, or will we still have to use specific types of single rank RAM?

It's almost 2018.
I am not doing a new rig to be stuck at 4.0GHz, that's what I've been using for the last 7 years with my i7 930. Any new chip I buy needs to hit 5.0GHz on air 24/7.

It will most likely be an 8700/8700k or 9700/9700k.
If I ever upgrade.

Last edited:
Those specs look way too good to be true. Way too good. Are these really "confirmed" and not something photoshopped?
Pretty much everyone was expecting 4.4-4.5GHz max, not over 5GHz. And 12 cores @4.6GHz stock for a consumer part? O_o

The article has been edited as the slide has been debunked.

I don't think that the socket size is a real limitation. The die is quite a bit smaller than the chip's package, and I'm sure that a die with 3 or even 4 CCX could fit in there even with the current process, let alone a smaller one. (Similarly to Intel adding 2 cores with the same chip size with Coffee Lake.)

I think that technically AMD could produce a 12 core AM4 CPU, but that doesn't mean it will do that. What I'm hoping to see is simply better single core performance, which is where AMD is still behind Intel. More cores is always nice, but it doesn't help gamers much.

Yeah true, I would love to see a 4.5 or 4.6GHz chip but I just don't see it happening unless AMD has really managed to improve the fab process.

Looking at the fabrication process I am guessing 10% increase.... article:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11854/globalfoundries-adds-12lp-process-tech-amd-first-customer

Back