NFL to block streaming video inside Super Bowl stadium

Shawn Knight

Staff member

nfl super bowl streaminv video

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 80,000 spectators will converge on MetLife Stadium this Sunday to watch the Seattle Seahawks take on the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII. And while officials have worked with Verizon for more than a year to ensure this will be the most connected live event in sports history, there’s one thing the league isn’t prepared to deal with: streaming video.

To ensure there is enough bandwidth to go around, league officials have decided to block live streaming of the game inside the stadium over Wi-Fi and cellular networks. But why would someone that is already at the game want to watch it on their phone in the stands?

Truth be told, diehard football fans don’t want to miss a second of the action. In addition to the thrill of witnessing the game live, thousands of people also like to use their smartphones to watch the television broadcast for addition insight like analysis and instant replays.

Both the NFL.com and Fox Sports plan to stream the game as it happens on the web and via mobile apps but both sources will be bocked for Super Bowl attendees. According to NFL CIO Michelle McKenna-Doyle, the decision comes as a result of last year’s big game where streaming was initially allowed before officials had to pull the plug as it was consuming too much bandwidth.

Will you be watching the big game this year? If so, which team are you cheering for? Or are you in it strictly for the commercials?

Permalink to story.

Will I be watching? Is that a joke question? I live in Seattle and am a season ticket holder to the Seahawks. GO HAWKS!! :D

"NFL to block streaming video inside Super Bowl stadium"

They could fix this if everyone didn't need their own bandwidth slice. A TV broadcast bandwidth doesn't increase due to the number of watchers. The stadium could do a low strength Over-The-Air broadcast to give anyone inside coverage. If only the phones were setup as a receiver for an OTA broadcast, this issue could be averted.

I'm curious how they are going to do that if someone is using their own (I.E. Sprint) network to do that. While also not blocking it for other people. Are they going to shut it down at the tower? that would block everyone in the area, not just the arena. Or is it just in their NFL app? There are multiple ways to do it (stream). Or are they going to do a cell block in the stadium?

I can see them blocking it on the stadium's wi-fi but...

Yea I just watch it for the commercials, I just can't get enough of them. Couldn't give a rat's *** about those big men running around on grass between those tasty corporate messages.

Seriously, do people like that exist?

@NimbusTLD
Only when there isn't anything to my liking on to watch. And after a few minutes even the commercials grow old and the TV is turned off. When it comes to sports, I don't stick around for the commercials either.

@cliffordcooley

Wow. Interesting! I find it baffling that people view ads by choice. I thought most people simply tolerated them as a unavoidable facet of modern life. I go out of my way to avoid ads.

If you guys dont know, its sort of traditional for the super bowl ads to be as funny as humanly possible. (although occasionally you get stupid/tasteless ones).Thats why people watch the super bowl for commercials.

I enjoy a good football game from time to time but mostly college level. I know about Superbowl ads but I rarely care to watch them. I've kind of perfected the art of looking at TV commercials but not paying any attention to them. I do watch some commercials, just not most of them.

When NFL players made it all about the size of their salaries, and quit caring about the fun of the game, I quit watching pro football. Besides, with all the new rules the *****s running the sport have come out with in recent years, they're ruining the game even more (no more sudden death, crown of the helmet rule, etc.). At least they did away with that BS Tuck Rule...

My team isn't in it. I hope that the commercials win. Go Commercials!!! And the half time. I hope that the half time wins too.

"NFL to block streaming video inside Super Bowl stadium" - And a de-auth packet for you! And a de-auth packet for you! ...

I'm curious how they are going to do that if someone is using their own (I.E. Sprint) network to do that. While also not blocking it for other people. Are they going to shut it down at the tower? that would block everyone in the area, not just the arena. Or is it just in their NFL app? There are multiple ways to do it (stream). Or are they going to do a cell block in the stadium?

I can see them blocking it on the stadium's wi-fi but...

Yeah, blocking the signals over any wifi would be super easy. But blocking it over a carriers 3G/4G data network with the carriers proprietary frequencies? Seems to me like there would be some shady back alley deals going on to make that happen.

Back