Nikon announces D850 DSLR featuring 45.7-megapixel BSI CMOS sensor

Shawn Knight

TechSpot Staff
Staff member

The evolution of smartphone optics has given most people a “good enough” camera to carry around in their pockets but fortunately for the imaging industry, professionals and enthusiasts still exist. It’s to this category of users that Nikon is catering with its latest full-frame DSLR

The Nikon D850 features a substantial 45.7-megapixel back-side illuminated (BSI) CMOS sensor and utilizes an optical low-pass filter (OLPF) for maximum sharpness (in fact, it’s the first Nikon DSLR to include a BSI CMOS).

The D850 is capable of shooting at up to seven frames per second at full resolution (or nine FPS when using the optional battery grip) and can buffer up to 51 frames at 14-bit lossless RAW (or 170 frames of 12-bit lossless). Video recording hasn’t been left out, either, as the D850 can capture 4K video at up to 30 frames per second (or 1080p at up to 120 fps) and there’s even an 8K time-lapse video mode.

The shooter also offers an ISO range of 64 to 25,600 (expandable from 32 to 102,400) and utilizes the 153-point auto-focus system from Nikon’s own D5.

Other noteworthy features include a 3.2-inch tilting LCD touchscreen, the ability to shoot silently with an electronic shutter, support for radio-controlled wireless lighting, dual memory card slots, illuminated buttons, focus stacking and built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, among others.

The unit’s battery is reportedly good for up to 1,840 shots at full resolution (or around 70 minutes of video capture) on a single charge.

Nikon’s D850 will arrive next month priced at $3,299.95 for the body only. The aforementioned optional battery grip, meanwhile, will set you back $399.95.

Permalink to story.

Uncle Al

TS Evangelist
Amazing that they will sell more camera's to those that want the Nikon "image" but rarely ever take the time to read the instruction booklet or figure out how to use anything beyond the most basic camera function ..... I actually had a lady recently ask me how to change the "film" in her digital Nikon after seeing me change the roll in my old F2 ........ nuff said!

p51d007

TS Evangelist
Amazing that they will sell more camera's to those that want the Nikon "image" but rarely ever take the time to read the instruction booklet or figure out how to use anything beyond the most basic camera function ..... I actually had a lady recently ask me how to change the "film" in her digital Nikon after seeing me change the roll in my old F2 ........ nuff said!

Yeah, it's "their" money but I think some buy these as "status symbols". they never flipping take the dial off the green A, auto setting. Whatever comes out, they just use jpeg. It's like buying a 100,000 sport car, and driving it in town, with the top down, with your bald head and comb over flapping in the breeze.

madboyv1

TechSpot Paladin
but rarely ever take the time to read the instruction booklet or figure out how to use anything beyond the most basic camera function .....
You'll be happy to know that I have taken the time to read the instruction manuals (all 400-500 pages each) for every Nikon camera I've owned.

The D850 looks like an evolution of the D700 system to me, since to my knowledge it's just been that long since a full frame professional camera has had a grip that increased frame rate in addition to expanding ergonomics and battery life. I'm just happy that it won't have the miserable buffer issues that the D700 had... 51 frame buffer (at ~46mp, 14-bit raw) sounds delicious compared to 15-16 frames (at 12mp, 14-bit raw).

Problem is... that after getting all new cards and batteries/spare batteries, it's closer to $5000 now ha ha ha...

Reactions: p51d007

Mugsy

TS Evangelist
They forgot to add a sim card slot. Major oversight. Hopefully they didn't forget to add social networking capabilities and RGB lighting as well.
They didn't forget. At that resolution, you'd be lucky to fit a single image on a standard SIM card. ;D

Mugsy

TS Evangelist
I'm hoping that these huge leaps in optical sensor chips will eventually lead to optical implants to cure blindness similar to the way cochlear implants can cure deafness.

p51d007

TS Evangelist
You'll be happy to know that I have taken the time to read the instruction manuals (all 400-500 pages each) for every Nikon camera I've owned.

The D850 looks like an evolution of the D700 system to me, since to my knowledge it's just been that long since a full frame professional camera has had a grip that increased frame rate in addition to expanding ergonomics and battery life. I'm just happy that it won't have the miserable buffer issues that the D700 had... 51 frame buffer (at ~46mp, 14-bit raw) sounds delicious compared to 15-16 frames (at 12mp, 14-bit raw).

Problem is... that after getting all new cards and batteries/spare batteries, it's closer to $5000 now ha ha ha...

Yeah, I finally updated my OLD D-5000 I had for 7 years, to a D-7200 almost a year ago. Worn out the book, but still finding some "wow, it can do that?" with the abilities of what it can do the old 5000 could not do.

Reactions: madboyv1