Nikon launches Z30 mirrorless camera for content creators

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Nikon has launched a new mirrorless camera sporting a design optimized for video recording. The Nikon Z30 is an APS-C mirrorless shooter with a 20.9-megapixel CMOS image sensor that utilizes the familiar Nikon Z mount. There is no electronic viewfinder but the flip-out, 3.0-inch LCD panel is touch enabled and even closes inwards to minimize fingerprints, smudges and scratches when traveling.

Nikon's latest is capable of recording 4K video at up to 30 frames per second or full HD (1,920 x 1,080 pixels) at up to 120 fps. Max video recording time is capped at 125 minutes but this could vary depending on your recording mode and remaining battery life.

The Z30 packs dual stereo mics although those looking to up their audio game might want to consider optional outdoor wind muffs or an external microphone setup. A front-facing lamp lights up red so you always know when you're recording.

Nikon offers a free mobile app that can be paired with the Z30 for remote control, or you can spend a little extra and pick up the Bluetooth-powered remote to operate the camera from a distance.

The Nikon Z30 is available to pre-order over on B&H Photo for $706.95 for the body only and launches in mid-July. A bundle that includes a 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR lens will set you back $846.95 and another that adds a 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR zoom lens to the mix commands $1,196.95.

There's also an optional Creator's Accessory Kit for $149.95 that includes a Rode VideoMicro microphone, a tripod grip and the aforementioned Bluetooth remote control.

Permalink to story.

Sony is killing it right now anyway. I moved from Nikon to Sony Mirrorless years ago and haven't looked back

I saw Nikons latest flagship got excellent reviews.
If I was seriously getting into photography - say travel, wildlife etc I would base my decision mainly on cost , availability and bang for buck on Glass - the cameras catch up - but Glass is forever ( well kind of )

Unfortunately it appears that Nikon is once again relying on it's name to sell what appears to be an over hyped camera that can easily be replaced by a number of other big name units, not to mention a handful of phones ......

Sony is killing it right now anyway. I moved from Nikon to Sony Mirrorless years ago and haven't looked back

I have a Nikon D3200 I've had for about a decade now, still takes amazing photos. I have one of those 18-105mm lenses, and it just makes for a great shooter.

It isn't super fast at auto focusing or have a bunch of fancy recording features. It isn't a camcorder. It does video, and the video looks good. But it is what it is. I use it for pictures and video if I need the zoom. Otherwise I bust my phone out.

Mirrorless is the future, Sony has been the best option. But High End DSLR's still have their place in the professional world. For me its always been about sticking to what you're already invested in, but that is more for professionals. Most don't move away from the kit lens.

I saw Nikons latest flagship got excellent reviews.
If I was seriously getting into photography - say travel, wildlife etc I would base my decision mainly on cost , availability and bang for buck on Glass - the cameras catch up - but Glass is forever ( well kind of )
Yep, one of my lenses cost more than the camera.

Sony is killing it right now, mostly in Nikon cameras:
Go back a few years though, and Sony also pumped out a few turds. for example, the D-3000.

Granted, the tech was in it's infancy at the time.

Back