Nintendo 3DS sets sales record, 'BSOD' isn't widespread

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The Nintendo 3DS disappointed many early customers when it launched in North America on Sunday. By Monday afternoon, there were multiple user reports of an error that is being collectively referred to as the "Black Screen of Death." Users received the following message: "An error has occurred. Hold down the POWER button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again."

Most customers said the issue was sporadic and temporarily resolved by performing a hard reboot, while a handful claimed the issue rendered their device completely inoperable. Nintendo quickly responded yesterday by telling affected users to upgrade their firmware. That reportedly did the trick for most 3DS owners, so it seems Nintendo has everything under control.

The company issued a second statement today to further address concerns over the matter, revealing that the 3DS' launch day sales in the US were higher than any of the company's previous handheld consoles. Despite that, Nintendo's customer support center received fewer phone calls and emails than previous hardware launches, suggesting there are no widespread issues.

"Nintendo worked hard to get as much product as possible to retailers on day one to meet demand, and we will continue with these efforts moving forward," the company said. Although it was quick to boast about the success of its device, Nintendo didn't share any specific sales figures. More information will be available on April 14 when NPD releases the first-week sales of the 3DS.

Permalink to story.

how about the people that DONT have access to wifi, that bought it expecting it to work. Like the 10 year old kids, they would hardly know how to do this!

I had this problem with my UK 3DS and the firmware update was no help. I just returned it to the store I bought it from (Gamestation), they swapped it for a new one and it has not happened once with this new system! :)

ikesmasher said:
how about the people that DONT have access to wifi, that bought it expecting it to work. Like the 10 year old kids, they would hardly know how to do this!

My thoughts exactly.

"Oh, blimey. My 3DS stopped working again, it did."
"Get a firmware update a support.nintendo.com!"
"Pardon?"
"Firmware, accessible through most connections - including Wi-Fi!

-> What about the poor innocent children!?, one might ask. Will they be able to fix the problem? Geez Nintendo...

What??? Really?????

No one spotted the "support centre"? That is either spanglish, french or who knows...

Back to topic... sadly for you this portable gaming console is not aimed at poor inocent children and I'm most certain that anyone who has adquisitive power to buy one of this has internet, or their school has, or mcdonald, or [INSERT NAME HERE].

I remember the time when something broke out on me (Being a kid) and either:
a.- Dismantle it to check where the problem (Normally it was easy to dismantle and way more fun to assemble xD).
b.- Call my parents.

I remember the time when something broke out on me (Being a kid) and either:
a.- Dismantle it to check where the problem (Normally it was easy to dismantle and way more fun to assemble xD).
b.- Call my parents.

LOL!! I find both A and B funny because when I was 9 years old I would take everything apart. One time I broke the phone and tried to fix it. After I failed I took the phone line that connected to the wall and disconnected the wires inside. After I still didn't get the phone to work I took apart all of the phone lines in the house. My parents came home because the couldn't call me >.<. They got pissed but I was the only one who knew how to rewire it so I didn't get in any trouble after putting it all back together. very old, funny memory of mine that that comment reminded me of

I have no idea what I was thinking back then...

Regarding the firmware update, I don't think that very many people know how to do that. All you have to do is listen to modern music to realize just how dumb people have gotten.

Back