Nintendo finally gets around to releasing N64, DS games on Wii U Virtual Console

Shawn Knight

Staff member

nintendo games arrive wii virtual console gaming nintendo ds wii u nintendo 64 games n64 ds games

Nintendo is finally getting around to bringing Nintendo 64 and Nintendo DS games to the Wii U Virtual Console. The first titles to arrive include Super Mario 64 for the N64 and the DS version of Yoshi’s Island, both priced at $9.99.

The Wii U Virtual Console is a software emulator that lets console owners play old games on the new system. Up to this point, the Wii U Virtual Console only included games from the NES, SNES and Game Boy Advance.

The only question is, what took Nintendo so long to bring N64 games to its current console when nearly two dozen have been available on the original Wii for ages?

nintendo games arrive wii virtual console gaming nintendo ds wii u nintendo 64 games n64 ds games

The good news is that if you’ve already bought classic titles on the original Wii, those can be “ported” to the Wii U for just $2 each. Sure, it sucks that you have to pay up once again but it’s better than having to fork over full price for a second time.

It’s unclear at this hour just how many Nintendo 64 games the company is hoping to bring to the Wii U.

At last check, the original Wii had 21 titles up for grabs – most of which were smash hits like Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64 and Wave Race 64. Somehow, GoldenEye 007 didn’t make the list – a travesty, if you ask me.

Images via Wii U Daily

Permalink to story.

This means nothing if they don't sell limited edition N64 controllers for the Wii U.

One does not release an N64 game without first honoring the hardware.

Id rather use a snes controller on games that dont need a joy stick :).

I think there is a zelda link to the past sequel for nintendo ds, if that carries over woot. Wish I had a wii u instead of my xbox one.

2014 was the year of delays and disappointing games.
2015 is becoming the year of old games being sold as new.
Yay... :|

What's old is new again. Why go to the next generation when developers and console manufacturers keep dredging up the past?

Man, 007 Golden Eye needs to be added, if they added that and a N64 controller (preferably 4 of them) in a bundle I would be there in a heart beat, that game was my child hood xD

I'm sorry, but if you didn't already know that Goldeneye is a Rare title and that Nintendo wanted to VC it but wasn't allowed, than you probably shouldn't be attempting to write articles about any of it...

Back