Nintendo introduces Mario Red & Blue Edition Switch, drops new Super Mario 3D World +...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Nintendo officially observed the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. back in September with the introduction of a new Game & Watch handheld, a new bundle of classic games called Super Mario 3D All-Stars and an online battle royale game based on the original Super Mario Bros.

The Japanese gaming giant also promised that an enhanced version of Super Mario 3D World was in the pipeline and on Tuesday, we got our best look yet at Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury.

Accompanying the fresh gameplay footage is a new limited edition Switch console. The Nintendo Switch – Mario Red & Blue Edition features a distinct red-and-blue color scheme “in honor of Mario’s iconic outfit.”

The Switch and dock are done up in red, as are the Joy-Cons, while the controller grip and wrist strap accessories are blue, creating a powerful contrast that you’re probably either going to love or hate. It’s the first time the base Switch will be available in a color besides black (the Switch Lite is offered in a variety of colors, however).

The bundle also includes a color-matched carrying case and a screen protector. It’ll retail for $299.99 when it drops on February 12, 2021. Given its limited edition status and the inventory issues Nintendo has grappled with over the past year, you might want to make plans to acquire one ahead of time rather than trying to wing it on launch day.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury is also set to arrive on February 12.

Permalink to story.

EdmondRC

I know that people really love the Switch, but as one of the twelve people in the world that actually owned a Wii U, the Switch has had very little in the way of new content. Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong and many more are just Wii U games maybe with some additional content. Now Super Mario 3D World, again adding a little additional, but still mostly just rehashing old content. I know there have been some new games released on the console and some very good ones at that, but if you took away the remakes and rereleases, there really would not be much content on the system at all. I have a Switch and I am truly disappointed so far, the new Nintendo content has been good, but its so very little.

stewi0001

I know that people really love the Switch, but as one of the twelve people in the world that actually owned a Wii U, the Switch has had very little in the way of new content. Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong and many more are just Wii U games maybe with some additional content. Now Super Mario 3D World, again adding a little additional, but still mostly just rehashing old content. I know there have been some new games released on the console and some very good ones at that, but if you took away the remakes and rereleases, there really would not be much content on the system at all. I have a Switch and I am truly disappointed so far, the new Nintendo content has been good, but its so very little.

I'm totally with you. I finally caved in and got a Switch last December. A bunch of the games are the same as the Wii U but "Deluxe". Does upset me that all the classic games I bought on the Wii / Wii U don't transfer. Nintendo is such a massive love hate relationship for me.

Anyways as for the video: I don't want to be on litter box duty and there is Super Saiyan Cat Mario (how original)

EdmondRC

I'm totally with you. I finally caved in and got a Switch last December. A bunch of the games are the same as the Wii U but "Deluxe". Does upset me that all the classic games I bought on the Wii / Wii U don't transfer. Nintendo is such a massive love hate relationship for me.

Anyways as for the video: I don't want to be on litter box duty and there is Super Saiyan Cat Mario (how original)
Yes, one of the things that really has me baffled here is why there is so little new content. To me it seems there was more new content coming from Nintendo for the Wii U and that was for an unpopular system and Nintendo's priorities were split between the Wii U and extremely popular 3DS. Now its just the Switch and the pipeline of new Nintendo games seems to be as slow as ever. One of the things that made me excited for the Switch was that Nintendo would be focused on one console and in my mind that meant a more steady stream of new content and releases. Unfortunately, that has yet to materialize. It is possible that Nintendo is using the Switch's popularity and the poor reception of the Wii U to fuel the Switch with content while developing new games for a successor system (Switch Pro or Switch 2), which would be absolutely consistent with Nintendo's "we'll never lose our fanbase no matter what" philosophy.

Theinsanegamer

Yes, one of the things that really has me baffled here is why there is so little new content. To me it seems there was more new content coming from Nintendo for the Wii U and that was for an unpopular system and Nintendo's priorities were split between the Wii U and extremely popular 3DS. Now its just the Switch and the pipeline of new Nintendo games seems to be as slow as ever. One of the things that made me excited for the Switch was that Nintendo would be focused on one console and in my mind that meant a more steady stream of new content and releases. Unfortunately, that has yet to materialize. It is possible that Nintendo is using the Switch's popularity and the poor reception of the Wii U to fuel the Switch with content while developing new games for a successor system (Switch Pro or Switch 2), which would be absolutely consistent with Nintendo's "we'll never lose our fanbase no matter what" philosophy.
Because the Wii U was the least popular thing since the Dreamcast, the majority of nintendo's audience never played those games. And even with the option of buying a wii u, the switch has a better controller, with a battery lfie measured in hours as opposed to minutes, and from nintendo's perspective it makes a lot more sense to rerelease all these games on teh switch since many never sold well in the first place.

Besides, the Switch has got plenty of great exclusives of its own. Mario oddysey, BOTW (the wii U version was inferior, and much like twilight pricess was considered a flagship for the new console), ACNH, Luigi's mansion 3, the pokemon mystery dungeon remake, mario VS rabbids, fire emblem three houses, splatoon 2, links awakening remake, Paper mario origami kingdom, and the upcoming metroid prime 4 and bayonetta 3.

EdmondRC

Because the Wii U was the least popular thing since the Dreamcast, the majority of nintendo's audience never played those games. And even with the option of buying a wii u, the switch has a better controller, with a battery lfie measured in hours as opposed to minutes, and from nintendo's perspective it makes a lot more sense to rerelease all these games on teh switch since many never sold well in the first place.

Besides, the Switch has got plenty of great exclusives of its own. Mario oddysey, BOTW (the wii U version was inferior, and much like twilight pricess was considered a flagship for the new console), ACNH, Luigi's mansion 3, the pokemon mystery dungeon remake, mario VS rabbids, fire emblem three houses, splatoon 2, links awakening remake, Paper mario origami kingdom, and the upcoming metroid prime 4 and bayonetta 3.
I played Zelda BOTW on Wii U and the biggest difference is the resolution which is 720p on the Wii U and I think 900p on the Switch in docked mode. Both versions run at 30fps. I think there was some mention of framerate drops, but I didn't notice it, the game ran fine in my opinion and I have played it through on both systems. The game was developed for Wii U and Nintendo made it cross platform to help sell the Switch, which was a very good move all things considered. BOTW probably could have been much better looking if it had been developed for Switch, but its doubtless not highly optimized for Switch since it was developed for Wii U.

In your list there are two remakes. Remakes, while they are nice, they are still not original content. Link's awakening for example is a nice looking remake, but its still a very short Zelda title. In my opinion it was classic Nintendo that they would charge the full $60 for the game. The Spyro trilogy was a complete remake of three titles and it was sold for $40. Zelda Link's Awakening should have been $30. Bayonetta, might be an exclusive, but its not a Nintendo developed title, so it doesn't really apply to what I'm saying about Nintendo's 1st party content and Metroid Prime 4, well, I am waiting, its the primary reason I bought it.

That doesn't really leave much of your list. I mean I did say there was some new content. There's just not much. For Wii U owners, the Switch has a lot less value than for non Wii U owners, that much is for sure. I would feel like the Switch had a pretty good amount of content too, if I had not already played most of the titles on Switch that appeal to me the previous generation.

Last edited: