Nintendo shows off new Wii U at CES

Leeky

Nintendo of America is giving attendees at this year’s Consumer Electronics show some hands on time with their new gaming console, the Nintendo Wii U. The new console was first shown last summer at E3 and should be available to purchase some time on the second half of 2012.

Although the original Wii, launched back in 2006, won over millions of casual gamers, it now faces much stronger competition from smartphones and tablets capable of playing simple games. The firm’s 3DS handheld device has done little to sway the growing phone and tablet gaming market, with poor launch sales that later forced the company to slash the device's price in an effort to boost demand.

The most notable new feature is the new controller (below), which has a large touchscreen enabled display. In many respects it looks like a tablet, and initially seems like it would be a hindrance to gamers.

nintendo wii ces wii u ces 2012 touchscreen display

It could prove useful for multiplayer gaming, for example, where each player would use the screen on the new controller to keep their movements secret from others. We should note that when Nintendo first announced the console it said the Wii U would only support one of their tablet controllers to be used at once. While the company hasn't officially changed their stance, rumor has it that they're working to make it technically feasible.

For those that prefer the old controllers, Nintendo has confirmed the new console will work with the previous generation Wii remotes just fine. While the older versions are tracked by a sensor bar plugged into the unit, the new controller will have its own sensor bar built into the device, enabling it to find where the older remotes are in relation to itself and the TV being used.

Nintendo's newest console will be further showcased at the Electronic Entertainment Expo hosted in Los Angeles this June and is scheduled for release sometime in the second half of 2012.

Note: The story was edited for accuracy, before we had stated the Wii U would be available around June, but Nintendo's official word if only 2H/2012.

Permalink to story.

I'm going to buy it to add to my collection, but probably not play it very often. but it will probably be the one that gets the most play-time because Nintendo has a way with 4-player games.

I seem to remember reading that it will be 4 times more powerful than the PS3, but was that just rumor? I know the official statement is that it surpasses both the PS3 and Xbox360, but has any definite word been given on how much more powerful it will be exactly?

It seems like a radon HD 4770 is indeed 4x more powerful than the Geforce 7900GT of the PS3

If they can make this thing connect to the internet for online play, it would be awesome. Im sure they will make alot of money on sales.

Nah this will fail. Their only major customer target will be kids. This thing failed in japan.

"This thing failed in japan."

What? Wii U hasn't launched yet, anywhere in the world. Wii was also for kids and it too "failed", only sold almost 2x as many units as 360 and PS3, combined.

Nintendo just needs to expand the audience for its games and release COD, Gears of War and Forza motorsports style games with way better graphics than 360 and PS3. If they have same mature cross-platform games and some hardcore exclusives, along with their ultimate 1st party games (Mario, Zelda, Metroit) then it'll be the ultimate system. If that happens, it's game over for Sony and MS. So all the Nintendo haters, you better pray that Nintendo doesn't have mature games with Wii U because if it does, then the main competitive advantage of PS4 and Xbox720 will all but evaporate, leaving the 3 consoles to compete on 1st party titles only.

In the begining of a console generation, it's all about the price anyway. If Wii U is $399 without killer games, then obviously it won't sell well. Let's wait and see.

@ Guest i think nintendo is going to do away with the extreme price tags , especially after what happened to 3ds. Although each controller for the wii u will be around $60 im sure.

Anyone who doubts this will be a failure is an *****..no doubt Nintendo has made some bad decisions in the past....but really ...how can it fail?Nintendo has always took the risk to be different.A touch screen controller is brilliant..navigating menus and weapon swapping on the fly....i see nothing but possibility.It is also going to have the power to carry all the major multi platformers like COD,Battlefield,GTA,resident Evil,Sky Rim, computer strategy like Starcraft ,Warcraft.If you dont believe it ...then dont buy it and wish you did later.

This article doesn't give any more information than could be found searching the internet during Nintendo's E3 conference last June. Nintendo's 3DS has sold well at over 4 million units worldwide as of December. Since we are going on rumors, the console should support at least two tablets. While most games will probably only require one for multiplayer to make the console not price inhibitive to most players. The Wii U is also supposed to support native 1080p, meaning that is the standard for all games. Currently the PS3 and Xbox 720 are only native 720p with some games supporting 1080i or 1080p. While Microsoft could be releasing a new console next year and Sony the year after, this is something to look forward to for any Nintendo franchise fans. It will also be interesting to see what cool games third party developers create for it. I for one will be picking one up at launch.

"While the older versions are tracked by a sensor bar plugged into the unit"

This is incorrect... The current Wii DOES have a "sensor" bar, but the bar does not do any "tracking."

The bar simply emits Infrared light from two small L.E.Ds contained inside. The Wiimote has a "camera" that sees this light, this information is sent to the console to be translated into where on the television the Wiimote is pointed.

Is it me, or is the battery going to be crap?

I also heard reports that you can only use one "wii U" controller with a Wii U but no more due to wireless issues?

I dunno, Nintendo have always done the "different" thing, which i'm not a fan of anyway, the last console was a gimmick no doubt, everyone i know who had one either sold it or it gathered dust most the year, but this looks like an... well i don't really know? Just feels like its going to be a steaming pile of turd? I guess as always, we'll find out soon enough...

Back