Nintendo Switch gets a somewhat limited Twitch app

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Twitch released a native app for the Nintendo Switch this week. However, the service doesn't integrate into the platform as well as it does PlayStation and Xbox, and the features are limited compared to the PC version or website. Still, this increases the small but growing number of streaming apps for the Switch.

The Twitch app on Switch doesn't let you host a stream. Sharing your gameplay or posting clips isn't integrated into the Switch like it is into PlayStation or Xbox (though the Switch does let you share screenshots). Instead, it's just for watching Twitch channels, and it does get the job done in that regard, with functional browse and search tabs. Of course, the video quality is as good as it can be on the Switch's 720p screen.

Other than the lack of hosting streams, the only other significant limitation in Switch's Twitch app is that it won't display streams and chat windows simultaneously. The chat will appear on a streamer's page before you start watching, but engaging while viewing a stream requires using a mobile device. However, the app does let you use QR codes or an activation link to make logging in smooth.

It is somewhat silly that chatting while watching a stream on the Switch requires users to log into a mobile device's installed Twitch app. Since Twitch for iOS and Android already allows chatting while viewing a stream, it raises the question: why not simply watch on mobile?

The only advantage of using the Switch and mobile together that I can think of is that it might offer more screen real estate if your mobile device is a smartphone with a small screen. Splitting the two into separate screens might be more comfortable for some.

The Switch doesn't have nearly as many streaming apps as the other consoles, but it does have YouTube, Hulu, and Funimation.

Permalink to story.

You'd think that by now Nintendo would have made a "SWITCH PRO" specifically for Streamers on Youtube/Twitch with a built in webcamera that allows you to stream gameplay while creating content.

That wouldn't have been a bad idea for the Valve Steam Deck either.

A software that allows you to create a preset overlay for 1080p streams including your webcam feed.

I've already used my Switch more this weekend to watch an SC2 tourney than I have in the entire past year. It's just a nice desk decoration at this point for me. Twitch integration actually makes it worthwhile for me.

You'd think that by now Nintendo would have made a "SWITCH PRO" specifically for Streamers on Youtube/Twitch with a built in webcamera that allows you to stream gameplay while creating content.

That wouldn't have been a bad idea for the Valve Steam Deck either.

A software that allows you to create a preset overlay for 1080p streams including your webcam feed.

I dont want to be mean, but it has the same logic for me as mobile streamers should use mobile webcams for streaming their face. How many streamers use the laptopwebcams? Separetad cameras are way better solution. But I would be happy to stream from the switch itself withouth a capture card nedded, at least only in docked mode.

Back