Nintendo to launch new Zelda and Yoshi games later this year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nintendo announced a number of upcoming titles for the 3DS on Wednesday as part of the company’s latest Nintendo Direct online presentation. Chief among them is a new Legend of Zelda title that will take place in the same setting used during the 1992 hit The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

The latest release in the popular franchise will utilize the system’s 3D abilities, we’re told. For example, Link will be able to become a drawing and move along walls. The game is scheduled to launch this holiday season, Nintendo said.

Sticking with the Zelda franchise, Nintendo will be releasing two interconnected games for the 3DS: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. These titles, originally released in North America back in 2001, will arrive once again on May 30.

Nintendo also announced release dates for some titles they’ve previously revealed for the 3DS like Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (May 24) and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. The latter title will force Mario to navigate the real world as well as Luigi’s dreams to once again rescue Princess Peach. Expect that title to drop on August 11.

The company also spent some time talking about upcoming games for the Wii U. EarthBound, an RPG that captivated fans way back in 1995, is making a return. The game is expected to hit the Wii U Virtual Console sometime later this year. Other games headed for the home console include a new Yoshi’s Island game and a new Professor Layton title.

Permalink to story.

Well that's debatable considering the group of UI folks they currently have on staff at Nintendo. I still can't get over how confusing, clunky, and inefficient the Wii-U interface is! It could have been SO much better.

They really need to release a 2.0 interface update...and STAT!

I also would have liked to see the 3DS and Wii-U games be more comptable with each other vs. treating the two systems as separate and unique platforms. For example, if I bought a virtual console game on the 3DS I would have expected to be able to play it on the Wii-U (and vice versa).

Furthermore, the 3DS should have had the native ability to connect to the WIi-U as an secondary controller and alternative to the Wii-U GamePad (since that's essentially all the Wii-U GamePad is)! That would have increased the sales of 3DS and Wii-U units, since friends would have been able to come over and connect to the Wii-U with their own 3DS.

It almost feels like someone *really* dropped the ball on this platform. These ideas are flat-out obvious!

Back