Nintendo used PS3, 360 footage to highlight Wii U capabilities

Jos

Staff

Nintendo announced their next-generation home console at E3 yesterday, and while the new controller concept grabbed most of the attention, a lot of emphasis was also put on the Wii U's intent to unify casual and hardcore gamers.

The Wii was never known as a graphics powerhouse so the company was eager to offer a glimpse at the graphical capabilities of its next console in a handful of upcoming games. As it turns out, however, the videos shown on stage were coming from PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the games. Nintendo of America's Reggie Fils-Aime confirmed this in an interview with GameTrailers shortly after the show, where he explained that the Wii U is still a year away from launch but games coming to the platform will look at least as good as they do on the PlayStation and Xbox.

"In terms of how good it looks it's going to be driven by what the individual developers do. It's going to be 1080p, it's going to be high definition," promised Fils-Aime. "You're going to see games that take full advantage of a system that has the latest technology and can push out some incredible graphics."

The company did show a garden tech demo as an indicator of the upcoming console's capabilities, though. Fils-Aime also briefly discussed the online capabilities of the Wii U, saying that it will be a key part of their strategy, and that they'll have a flexible approach by taking the best of what each of their third party partners has to offer and marrying that with what Nintendo has to offer to create a rich online environment rather than a rigid or closed one.

Permalink to story.

Does rich equate to open? I'd love to see Nintendo open up their devices to modders, amateur developers, and basically everyone. Sony has really turned me off of their consoles with legal actions, etc. I used to be a Sony loyalist (backwards compatibility is a big turn-on), but not anymore as far as gaming goes.

I have to agree with with first guest, I was a big SONY PS1/PS2 fan, PSU, even did a stint with the PS@ tour.. now, with SONY being the new UBER proprietary brown shirts and more concerned with legal action and dividends then customer satisfaction and support. I've sworn off SONY for good and frankly all the hacking going on, although it effects the users adversely, looks good on them. I would not be sad to see SONY go the way of the dodo in the console world. To be fair though, I'm a PC user to the core so even Xbox/MS can go get stuffed as well..

Nintendo is really losing it... I'm guessing this console will suffer the same fate as the wii in that it can't compete with just a few launch titles and maybe a couple worthwhile games after that.

I can't wait to not buy this thing

SilverCider said:
It will be awesome if the WiiU gets games at the same quality as the 360 and PS3 but all of them at 1080p60 :p

IIRC 360 renders in 720p and unscales to 1080p. I think it may be lower than 720 but I'm not sure.

I'd really like to know what GPU is powering this thing. At one end, they want to keep costs down. On the other they want the graphics to be good enough to draw people away from the PS3 and 360. As interesting as this sounds, I'd like to be able to make a hardware comparison rather than just being told "it's going to be 1080P"

yRaz said:
I'd really like to know what GPU is powering this thing. At one end, they want to keep costs down. On the other they want the graphics to be good enough to draw people away from the PS3 and 360. As interesting as this sounds, I'd like to be able to make a hardware comparison rather than just being told "it's going to be 1080P"

From what I've heard, it is going to be an ATI R700-based GPU, so basically a 4850/4870.

lol - this guy is just a face and doesn't know what he's talking about. He calls it 1080p graphics, that doesn't mean anything. Graphics are not depicted by the resolution. All my computer games run at 1920x1080, that doesn't mean they all have nice graphics. Serious Sam HD graphics still suck at 1920x1080. Crysis (1, not 2, 2 sucks) looks incredible at 1920x1080. He's saying the Wii U has the latest graphics technology yet it's only on par with PS3's 2006 graphics. Very lame...

When PS4 and Xbox 1080 come out they will have easily 4 times the graphics processing capability than that of the PS3 and 360. So the Wii U will be ignored by developers just as the Wii was when it was released using previous generation graphics. History will be repeated. :/

Docnoq said:

From what I've heard, it is going to be an ATI R700-based GPU, so basically a 4850/4870.

I wonder if the wii u will be able to take advantage of the R700's DX10 capability. It would be nice if we could move out of the DX9 dark ages of consoles.

Guest said:
Nintendo is really losing it... I'm guessing this console will suffer the same fate as the wii in that it can't compete with just a few launch titles and maybe a couple worthwhile games after that.

I can't wait to not buy this thing

If by suffering the same fate you mean Nintendo will make a boatload of money I'm sure they're looking forward to it.

Tekkaraiden said:
If by suffering the same fate you mean Nintendo will make a boatload of money I'm sure they're looking forward to it.

Too true, despite some people's disdain for the Wii, it's the only console that will have sold for a profit since its release, all the way to its EOL. So while some people may have laughed at the Wii, Nintendo laughed all the way to the bank, and now they have more than enough money to throw at R&D to try out wacky new things.

Next generation of consoles should feature multiplayer server selection and dedicated hosting, and full keyboard and mouse support.

Big ****ing deal. The PS3 conference montage used BF3 footage from the fault line trailers. And those were done on a GTX 580. Nobody started whining about them using non PS3 footage,

Guest said:
lol - this guy is just a face and doesn't know what he's talking about. He calls it 1080p graphics, that doesn't mean anything. Graphics are not depicted by the resolution. All my computer games run at 1920x1080, that doesn't mean they all have nice graphics. Serious Sam HD graphics still suck at 1920x1080. Crysis (1, not 2, 2 sucks) looks incredible at 1920x1080. He's saying the Wii U has the latest graphics technology yet it's only on par with PS3's 2006 graphics. Very lame...

When PS4 and Xbox 1080 come out they will have easily 4 times the graphics processing capability than that of the PS3 and 360. So the Wii U will be ignored by developers just as the Wii was when it was released using previous generation graphics. History will be repeated. :/

Actually if you look at the shift in the market, especially if you pay attention to how Sony and Microsoft are dealing with their current consoles (360, PS3) they are trying to extend the life of these machines as long as possible without introducing the next set of hardware. Why else would they put so much money into Kinect and Move?

The Wii U is basically just Nintendo's way of catching up to the PS3/360, yes. But that's a smart decision considering the 360 and PS3 still have a lot of life in them. Despite what PC guys think about their graphics capabilities, millions and millions of console users do not give a damn and are still actively buying millions of games. There are still tons of great experiences (not just graphics) left on these systems as shown by games like Uncharted 3, Gears 3, and obviously a host of other 3rd party software.

Do you really think the person who buys a PS3/360 today for Online gaming really cares? So even if the PS4 and Xbox 3 comes out, there's still a viable market for the current consoles ESPECIALLY with online gaming.

So my whole point, is not to underestimate Nintendo's design decisions (Especially from a business standpoint, how much cheaper do you think it is for them to have that hardware on par with the PS3/360 instead of introducing something beyond those specs?) So graphically they might end up being behind the next set of MS/Sony hardware, but the same thing was said about the original Wii with it's "underpowered" hardware that ended up outselling both other manufacturers.

herpaderp said:
Tekkaraiden said:

Too true, despite some people's disdain for the Wii, it's the only console that will have sold for a profit since its release, all the way to its EOL. So while some people may have laughed at the Wii, Nintendo laughed all the way to the bank, and now they have more than enough money to throw at R&D to try out wacky new things.

Exactly. If the Wii U is about on par with the PS3/360, then you know for sure it's got to be a lot cheaper to produce, hence ALL PROFIT.

Nintendo, showing how a profitable business is ran.

Nintendo innovates and does it well IMO. This next console probably won't have much if anything to offer me personally as I'm loyal to the PC as my gaming platform of choice, but it will be interesting to see what can be done with the Wii U.

"He's saying the Wii U has the latest graphics technology yet it's only on par with PS3's 2006 graphics. Very lame..."

Where did you even come up with this? It's virtually impossible for the Wii U to have a worse GPU than PS3. An HD4770/4850/4870 is already 3-5x faster than the RSX GPU (which is a 7950GT with half the memory bandwidth of the desktop GPU version, so it's even slower than a desktop 7900GS).

HD4850/4870 mop the floor with the NV 7900 series:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/18682/6

"When PS4 and Xbox 1080 come out they will have easily 4 times the graphics processing capability than that of the PS3 and 360."

Neither of those consoles is going to launch before 2013-2014 (more likely the latter date). Also, Nintendo made it clear that they aren't interested in selling a $600 console with an HD6970 style GPU in it since the firm is about innovating gameplay, not about mind-blowing graphics. If you want mind-blowing graphics, you will be playing on the PC anyway. The biggest problem Nintendo had was gaining 3rd party developer support. If they are able to execute on that front this time, then they are in good shape. But of course it's easier said than done.

It's Game cube all over again.... Except, the "tablet" controller looks annoying/ugly, and will probably be the most expensive of any controller out there. Looks like there trying to get tablet gamers by making the controller a tablet. eh, i'll probably be skipping this just like the Wii.

The Wii U will be Nintendo's grave. What a joke. A classic remote with an LCD? Gimmick after gimmick with Nintendo. Just give us good games with a powerful console like you use to!

Yes, except there are games you can run on the PS3 to see it's capabilities.

Are there any that actually run on the Wii U currently? No one knows. If they are trying to sell a new console it's expected they will show us what it can do. If not don't act like it will look the same as the others systems you used to demo the games. That's like saying all pizza looks and tastes the same.

Guest said:
I have to agree with with first guest, I was a big SONY PS1/PS2 fan, PSU, even did a stint with the PS@ tour.. now, with SONY being the new UBER proprietary brown shirts and more concerned with legal action and dividends then customer satisfaction and support. I've sworn off SONY for good and frankly all the hacking going on, although it effects the users adversely, looks good on them. I would not be sad to see SONY go the way of the dodo in the console world. To be fair though, I'm a PC user to the core so even Xbox/MS can go get stuffed as well..

Do you even understand anything about the situation they faced, or even try and empathized with them? I'm guessing not, and I wish morons like you would stop filling the comments with this garbage.

Oh wow no love for DX11 from Nintendo dx11 is current generation of graphics, xbox360/ps3 using dx9/10 generation of graphics. Basically going to level of xbox360/ps3 not really next gen.

For prototype demo excellent but from technical standpoint not any better then ps3 or xbox360 currently. The system has potential but having screen controller kinda pointless with smartphones/tablets doing the exactly what this controller can do and more.

I see nothing wrong with Nintendo using footage of other games in a sagment to show what games will be on the platform. Visuals are the best way to make a point. They did not try to pass it off as Wii U running games... and the fact that they out right admitt that it was not Wii U game footage in the Fils-Aime review makes it all that musch fine by me.

It's all shinny to me.

"...system that has the latest technology and can push out some incredible graphics."... until Sony and MS come out with their next gen systems a year after this is released, relegating it back to Wii last gen graphics status. They could have at least pulled a Dreamcast, being the first of the next gen systems although not as powerful as the ones that follow after it.

Back