No audio device found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt325

I recently reformatted my computer and now i have no sound at all, When i go to control panel and audio devices it says under default device that i have no playback devices and DXdiag shows my sound section as completely blank. I have windows XP media edition and the soundcard is whatever came with the computer. Any ideas?

hi matt325

Did you install the drivers for your soundcard? They should be on the motherboard CD that came with your computer. If you don't have the CD, you can get the drivers from the manufacturer site online.

Spyder_1386 :)

I dont have any motherboard CD that came with my computer, Before when i have reformatted the sound always worked but now it says no playback devices. Here is my computer specs.

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/21/2009, 13:00:22
Machine name: MATT
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: GATEWA
System Model: GM5076E
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 354MB used, 3581MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Sound Devices
-------------
Description:
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID:
Manufacturer ID:
Product ID:
Type:
Driver Name:
Driver Version:
Driver Attributes:
WHQL Logo'd:
Date and Size:
Other Files:
Driver Provider:
HW Accel Level: Emulation Only
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run

Hi again

Do you know what type of sound card you had when you purchased your computer? You can open up the case and look for the model name or number on the sound card itself and then download the drivers for it from the manufacturer website or using a simple Google search.

You could try the following program to identify your card .... http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html (Unknown device identifier) ...

Worst case scenario is that your hardware (i.e. your sound card) is faulty, in which case you'll have to take it in for repairs or replacement.

Spyder_1386 :)

i got it working thanks, i recently had a virus on my computer and when i reformatted it still caused many problems, my audio driver didnt install correctly and i had to use windows driver reapir to install it then go into device manager and repair it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back