No audio device on Win7, drivers from Asus won't install

The audio on my Asus P5E3 DELUXE/WiFi-AP motherboard does not appear to work. Windows 7 says that there is no audio output device installed. As such, when I plug my speakers in I get no sound and the sound icon in the notification area continues to display a red circle with an "x".

The High Definition Audio Controller is installed under Device Manager and appears to be normal. However, it is listed under System Devices. There is no listing for Sound, Video, & Game Controllers (I am not sure if this is applicable to Win7). I have disabled and re-enabled the audio controller. I have uninstalled it and let Windows reinstall it. All to no avail. For what it's worth, the controller appears to be using a standard Microsoft driver.

System info says that no sound devices are installed.

I have verified (multiple times) that onboard audio is enabled in the BIOS. I have tried disabling the audio in the BIOS, booting, into Windows shutting down, and then re-enabling the onboard audio. No go.

I have attempted to reinstall the Soundmax drivers from ASUS. They don't install. I receive an error message saying that the audio driver files do not support my hardware. I am sure that I am trying to install the correct drivers.

There is no software installed that would be interfering with the audio and all services look normal.

Any ideas?

The audio on my Asus P5E3 DELUXE/WiFi-AP motherboard does not appear to work. Windows 7 says that there is no audio output device installed. As such, when I plug my speakers in I get no sound and the sound icon in the notification area continues to display a red circle with an "x".

The High Definition Audio Controller is installed under Device Manager and appears to be normal. However, it is listed under System Devices. There is no listing for Sound, Video, & Game Controllers (I am not sure if this is applicable to Win7). I have disabled and re-enabled the audio controller. I have uninstalled it and let Windows reinstall it. All to no avail. For what it's worth, the controller appears to be using a standard Microsoft driver.

System info says that no sound devices are installed.

I have verified (multiple times) that onboard audio is enabled in the BIOS. I have tried disabling the audio in the BIOS, booting, into Windows shutting down, and then re-enabling the onboard audio. No go.

I have attempted to reinstall the Soundmax drivers from ASUS. They don't install. I receive an error message saying that the audio driver files do not support my hardware. I am sure that I am trying to install the correct drivers.

There is no software installed that would be interfering with the audio and all services look normal.

Any ideas?

Strange man. I've never seen that before. Win7 definitely has a Sound section. I have no idea why it would install the drivers under system, but its definitely why its not working. Did you ever have the onboard sound working? Is this a fresh install of Win7?

<snip>
The High Definition Audio Controller is installed under Device Manager and appears to be normal. However, it is listed under System Devices. There is no listing for Sound, Video, & Game Controllers (I am not sure if this is applicable to Win7). I have disabled and re-enabled the audio controller. I have uninstalled it and let Windows reinstall it. All to no avail. For what it's worth, the controller appears to be using a standard Microsoft driver.<snip>

just fyi... For Hi Def Audio
Windows <==> Hi Def Audio Controller <==> Hi Def Audio Devices
The Hi Def Audio Controller will appear as a System Device (which is what you are seeing). So that part's OK. Question is: where the heck are the devices that connect to the audio controller?? :confused:

1. Are you seeing any devices with yellow icons in Device Manager? Is there a category in DevMgr named Other devices?
2. List any Problem Devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
3. Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)
/* EDIT */
I just re-read and caught something else you said..
There is no listing for Sound, Video, & Game Controllers (I am not sure if this is applicable to Win7).
NO. There should still be a Sound, Video & Game Controllers section! Even tho your devices are missing the category should still be there with stuff like "Audio Codec" and "Legacy" stuff listed inside it. In any case, still provide the info i requested above

1. There are no "other" devices and nothing with a yellow triangle next to it.
2. There is nothing relevant under problem devices in msinfo:

Code:
Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller	PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4364&SUBSYS_81F81043&REV_12\4&18BA0AA4&0&00E5	This device is disabled.

3. DxDiag report is attached.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    33.4 KB · Views: 1
I agree with nfiniti9. This is very strange indeed! I also have the same questions
> Is this a fresh Windows install? and did the onboard sound ever work?

Also
> Have you installed the chipset drivers for the board? Try reinstalling them
> Then (i think you said you tried this but after chipset drivers try again). Right click Audio Controller in System Devices->Uninstall. Then reboot Windows. After Windows reinstalls Audio Controller, check Device Manager again if Sound category and/or Other devices and/or anything with yellow icons should appear

/* EDIT */
Could you run 64bit dxdiag? (i see you ran 32 bit and you have 64bit windows) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee416792(v=VS.85).aspx

Back