No internet connection but wifi works

I have an ACER Z5700 running Windows 10. Today when I switched on it told me it could not connect to the internet on our Sky wifi router. It showed a perfect wifi signal but no connection. The Ipad and my IPhone are all connected to the internet. When I plug in the PC to the router using an Ethernet cable it works just fine. I have tried forgetting the SKY wifi router on the PC and all that does is force me to load the password when I tart the wifi connection but then tells me it cannot connect. Anybody have any ideas, apart from "buy a new PC" which is what my wife has already suggested!!

Where exactly do you get the error message about not connected to the internet? Does this show up on the WiFi icon, in the Web Browser or somewhere else? This problem should be able to be corrected pretty easily, but we first need to narrow the issue down some more.

Shows up on the Wifi icon as an added asterisk. This icon also appears on the Win 10 start up screen in the bottom right hand corner.

Before we go about with a possible uninstall of the wireless adapter drivers, lets try the following:

1. Go to Device Manager and find the wireless adapter that you are using
2. Right click it, go to the properties tab/menu
3. Un-tick every box EXCEPT leave internet protocol version 4 ticked
4. Click OK and then disable the network adapter and enable (or) wait a couple minutes after disabling it (sometimes it takes a bit longer for the system to take these changes in effect)
5. Enable the adapter (if you waited from step 4)

If this does not work, we will move on to the next step of Uninstalling the same drivers and having Windows 10 refresh and re-install said drivers.

I have had problems with two computers running Mcafee, but not with one running Norton. I had to uninstall Mcafee and reinstall it. Now, after I have spent hours trying to get to the bottom on this problem, I note that Mcafee has admitted they have caused this most recent problem, and has posted solutions that can be found by googling "no internet access" or similar.

Before we go about with a possible uninstall of the wireless adapter drivers, lets try the following:

1. Go to Device Manager and find the wireless adapter that you are using
2. Right click it, go to the properties tab/menu
3. Un-tick every box EXCEPT leave internet protocol version 4 ticked
4. Click OK and then disable the network adapter and enable (or) wait a couple minutes after disabling it (sometimes it takes a bit longer for the system to take these changes in effect)
5. Enable the adapter (if you waited from step 4)

If this does not work, we will move on to the next step of Uninstalling the same drivers and having Windows 10 refresh and re-install said drivers.
Your suggestion to untick all except the IPv4 fixed the problem with my Desktop. I can access the Internet! Can I/ should I leave the wireless adapter in this state?

Back