No Internet connection (Ethernet/Windows XP)

Hello ladies and gentlemen

My brother has a let's say low budget laptop with Windows XP. It is a Packard Bell laptop (I can't find the exact model right now). It is Version 2002, has SP 3, and the processor is Celeron (R) CPU 1.50 GHz. We have ethernet, but when the internet cable is attached to this computer it doesn't receive internet connection. However, when we attach the cable to any else computer, it just works fine (Even with the more-then-ten-years-old-Windows98-computer). Can you guys help me out? Thanks in advantage.

Wkr,
bigtukker

Is the network adapter configured on the PC (drivers installed, etc)? When you go to Start > Settings > Network connections do you see any LAN connections?

There is a icon of that LAN Connection, but it says there are no LAN-cables attached (in Dutch (I'm Dutch (this might be a rough translation))

Try opening control panel, double click the 'system' icon. Click the hardware tab, then the 'device manager' button. Now check the 'network adapters'. You should see at least one adapter, so what is it described as? Does it have a yellow '!' mark against it? Right click the adapter and choose properties. You should see a central panel saying 'this device is working properly' What do you actually see ? You could try the 'troubleshoot' button, but I have little faith it ever helps anyone !

Just let us know the status you find for the network adapter and we can take it from there.

Back