No Man's Sky devs say its 'NEXT' update will be the largest so far

midian182

Staff member

After four years of hype, setbacks, and promises, No Man’s Sky finally arrived in 2016 to waves of disappointment and criticism. But developer Hello Games never abandoned its ambitious open-world space sim and has been improving some of its flaws with updates, the largest of which will arrive this summer.

Such was the anticipation over No Man’s Sky and the game’s procedurally generated 18 quintillion planets, both Hello Games and Kotaku journalist Jason Schreier received death threats when it was delayed for an extra 49 days. But the finished game was far from what most people were expecting, failing to live up to its pre-release footage and lacking a multiplayer option.

NMS’s concurrent player count on Steam quickly fell to below 1000 people following its launch, and the UK’s Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) received 23 complaints that the "game content was not as depicted or described." There were also numerous reports of people receiving refunds.

But the Foundation, Pathfinder, and Atlas Rises updates have improved No Man’s Sky, adding elements such as base building, farming, land vehicles, and basic multiplayer. Hello Games’ co-founder, Sean Murray, says the summer update, called No Man’s Sky NEXT, will be its biggest ever.

“We called this update NEXT, because it’s an important next step on a longer journey for us and the community,” said Murray. “We’ve been working our socks off on this and it’s by far our biggest update so far. It will be free to existing players, and we’ll continue to support No Man’s Sky in this way for the foreseeable future.”

We don’t know what we’ll see in Next, but some suspect an expansion of the currently limited multiplayer. One thing we do know is that No Man’s Sky, which has been a PlayStation 4 console exclusive since launch, is coming to the Xbox One, with enhanced 4K and HDR support for the Xbox One X version. It’s also set to arrive on Tencent's WeGame. “As of Atlas Rises, China is our second biggest region for players of No Man’s Sky, so we’re excited to be able to support that further,” Murray said.

Permalink to story.

So they MIGHt have the content that they were supposed to have before launch, now that almost nobody pays attention to NMS anymore?

Good job.

LOL .... I can't believe it's still around. Is this the new poster child for "lame" ???

It's a toss-up which was the bigger bust - Star Wars Battlefront 2 with the micro-transactions or No Man's Sky with less than half the content that was promised on release.

At a minimum, they both deserve prominent and permanent seats in the Gaming Hall of Shame.

It's a toss-up which was the bigger bust - Star Wars Battlefront 2 with the micro-transactions or No Man's Sky with less than half the content that was promised on release.

At a minimum, they both deserve prominent and permanent seats in the Gaming Hall of Shame.
It's probably No Man's Sea... I mean Sea of Thieves which launched with even less content than NMS at 60$ :D

It's probably No Man's Sea... I mean Sea of Thieves which launched with even less content than NMS at 60$ :D

It's a Pirate themed game...what do you expect? :p

Sea of Thieves at least shows promise and was not exaggerated. The fun in that game for me is shenanigans with my friends. If I were playing alone, yeah...not a lot to do.

Good job for them in trying to make things right. If you bought it all that time ago and stuffed it in a cupboard, maybe it would be worth dusting off once this update ships and giving it another go...

This game is exactly why I rarely ever buy a game at launch any more, I have been burned far to many times by crappy releases. Doing a quick look around and I see that the price is still way to high to purchase this game. I thought by now it would be bargain bin pricing

I haven't bought the game, I'm not stupid, but I'm curious to know if they added all of the features they lied about before the launch of the game?

Good to see the developer is still supporting the game and trying to get it to its original vision.

No Man's Sky is a testament as to why I almost never pre-order or buy a game in "early-access", in "beta", or at launch. Still waiting for the price to come down below $10 before I step foot in this one.

Back