No Man's Sky update adds haunted wreckage to plunder

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: The whole thing has a haunting, Event Horizon feel to it. I’m not sure if it’s quite as frightening as the 1997 sci-fi horror film as I haven’t played it but… you’ve been warned.

Hello Games’ latest update adds some interesting elements to the ever-expanding space exploration game.

The Desolation Update adds a new type of encounter in which you can explore derelict freighters. These abandoned ships are procedurally generated meaning no two ship interiors will ever look the same. Inside, you’ll find large volumes of valuable salvage that can be sold or added to your own fleet as well as special rewards but collecting your booty won’t be easy as you’ll encounter security turrets, aggressive drones and hostile alien lifeforms intent on keeping intruders at bay.

Ships also feature procedurally generated stories that can be uncovered by studying the captain’s log and personal effects.

Hello Games said players will occasionally detect derelict freighters on their ships’ subspace radar when using Pulse Drive but locations can also be pinpointed by purchasing an Emergency Broadcast Receiver from a scrap dealer.

Patch 2.6 also introduces a wealth of quality of life improvements such as bug fixes and upgrades to visual effects and lighting. The full change log can be found over on Hello Games’ website.

Those who don’t already own No Man’s Sky can nab it for a limited time at a 50 percent discount. That works out to just $29.99 on the PC and $24.99 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The Desolation Update is free across all platforms.

Permalink to story.

Sorry ... they started out with a big lie and lost my confidence in them. No amount of new special features will ever make up for that and to support them now just gives them permission to do it again ... NO SALE!

Sorry ... they started out with a big lie and lost my confidence in them. No amount of new special features will ever make up for that and to support them now just gives them permission to do it again ... NO SALE!

I personally didn't buy into the hype that was being dished out when the game launched, but I still picked it up on release day. I've probably put 60+ hours into the game after it launched and enjoyed my time with it.

They've added so much more content and fixed so many issues. What other game do you own where you can get so much extra content over the vanilla release (even if it was oversold and lacking components they said it would have) without paying extra?

I remember years ago when digital wasn't a thing - you'd buy a game, install and play it. Wanted more, you'd have to hope they released an expansion for the game, you'd buy it, install it with the original content and play another 10+ hours of your favorite game.

So, even back in the day it wasn't common place to get free content/expansions. Generally you still paid for them...and you physically had to go to a local store to buy it.

You're not bitter the company is trying to better the game and give out more content without asking people to pony up more cash, are you?

Its ok because I forbid you to play this game, if I see you playing it you will be grounded, now go tidy your room.

I mean they sort of redeemed themselves. If the price is right and you like this type of a game, might as well add it to ya' basket.

Back