No soup for you: Where is our RTX 2060 review?

Julio Franco

Staff member

Steve is the man, the benchmark man. We've all enjoyed with his in-depth analysis and hardware tests at the expense of his sanity, while evaluating dozens upon dozens of CPUs and graphics cards over the years.

In his latest Hardware Unboxed video however he's inevitably feeling a little cranky. We'll let him explain in his own words, but long story short TechSpot/HUB did not receive an RTX 2060 graphics card for review like most other outlets. In fact, while following the regular process to get early access to the new hardware, we were left out in the cold, without prior knowledge the 2060 reviews would go live right after CEO Jensen Huang's keynote.

Considering we're one of the few teams doing the kind of in-depth benchmarking and day one coverage on things such as ray tracing and DLSS, as well as our long history of reviewing Nvidia products... that may be more than enough reason to feel overly frustrated about this. Perhaps, Nvidia was feeling a little frustrated themselves when we didn't give their RTX hardware the warm reception they expected (see our top GPU picks here), but we'll stick to our methods and continue to provide the most honest reviews we can.

Our RTX 2060 review will arrive eventually. We are taking the high road on this, nonetheless we felt the backstage story was worth sharing.

Permalink to story.

At Techspot's Day One review, the nVidia's RTX2060 received 0fps at even 720p minimum settings. Way to go, Jensen. Techspot's Steve openly (and rightfully) criticised nVidias BS, and current lack of sample is not a punishment by the nVidia, it's another shot in their own foot. It make You question how other tech sites are compromised by nVidias corruption and to what extent You can trust their numbers.

I wouldn't worry about not "being first" Steve / Julio. Techspot could come in last but those +30 game benchmarks would still be clicked on just the same. In fact I don't know anyone who reads only one single review from one single site before buying an expensive major component like a CPU or GPU, so the thinking that if someone else is first that'll automatically equal one less reader has never really been true.

It seems that the powerful do this kind of thing, without realizing the consequences to themselves. Surrounded by sycophants who practice the obedient flattery, they turn further from reality and eventually collide with it. The king's fool is an important role - buffering truth in humor. Just ask Will Sommers or Jane Foole.

Keep up the good work.

There is no honesty when money is on the table (whether that's free products, YT partner program or flat out payment). More honest than others doesn't equal truth.
These people are advertisers, and they make no money if companies don't seek their services. The outcome of this won't be nvidia loosing customers, but Steve following in line in with his fellow advertisers (commercial reviewers). It's sad, but true...

Nvidia pay attention to review sites.
Techspot has grown and now has a solid voice people listen to.
When Steve was honest about the RTX cards, Nvidia didn't like it.
Don't be fooled, they keep an eye on this stuff, it effects overall reputation and more importantly, sales.
I firmly believe that once the hype died, RTX cards haven't sold that well.

Unfortunately its quite clear Nvidia have chosen to slap your hand and dish out a little under the table punishment by holding back the GPU from you guys. What makes Techspot so great is that you continue to have honest journalism and I hope this hiccup won't ever affect (effect?! I never get that right) your unwavering honesty with hardware reviews. Never sell out Steve and keep up the good work.

Steve, we love you, but whatever you do, don't go giving them money in the form of buying their cards for review instead of playing their unsavory games to get the Free samples. Ultimately that is a loose for you, like you said, we don't mind waiting a week for your reviews every now and then when they decide to play these nonsensical games.

If the only card out there that can do 4K at 60FPS and trace rays is $1200 is my RTX 2080Ti, I'd recommend you guys on the lower end wait till next year for the next series.

The two tech blogs I visit more frequently are this and The Tech Report, which also does in-depth GPU reviews and analysis. They also didn't get a sample.

So to summarize from my perspective, this is a card for which I've not yet seen reviews I trust and which is not available to purchase. Not sure how this is helping Nvidia.

If in the long their actions end up drawing more attention to the difference between sites who "play ball" and therefore publish early but flawed reviews, vs. those who are honest and independent, I have to believe in the long run that's only going to make the good sites look even that much better.

Regardless of when you post the review I still read it. Can't say the same about about that site that sounds similar to Tim's hardware.
I kinda laughed my *** off on this, the dual pun intended or not,
man... why picking on our Tim >.< :p by associating him with that other one.

Keep your honor. Doesn't matter what they think/do, you do your job the right way.
They could, by mistake, not send you a card. Isn't that a possibility?

The price of the card is insane anyway and it seems like AMD is happy with it, for the first time in the history they can sell their less performing cards they would wish for. So rip price war.

Don't sweat it guys. I can imagine it would be extremely frustrating, but there are multiple reasons why Techspot is the first site I go to for tech news. After DailyTech went to crap, I found this site, and have been a loyal reader ever since.

Don't worry about being first; just keep up the quality. Do that, and people will always seek out who is unbiased because at the end of the day, readers just want honest and accurate reporting.

Thanks for the great articles, reviews, and news. Keep up the fight!

Steve,

I have a suggestion for your eventual review. What if you compare this 6gb card to another well known 6gb card (980ti)? Im sure people would like to see how a heavily overclocked but ~$200 card will do as a comparison. My prediction is that it will be very close once overclocked.

I can’t really blame Nvidia for not wanting you guys to review their products, you go around saying that RTX was a “cash grab” and you hugely criticised their RTX lineup in the reviews, mostly over price.

But all they can do is delay your review for a bit. They know you will eventually get the card as do we.

I just hope you reserve more criticism for AMD as they have decided to charge the same sky high prices as Nvidia yet don’t even give you any tensor cores or techs that can use them for that money. According to AMDs pricing, Nvidia users are getting ray tracing and DLSS for free and if that’s the case then it’s an awesome free feature!

Or maybe you could embrace that computer components are getting more expensive and drop the whining? Some of are still enthusiastic and excited about new techs and new graphics cards despite the rising prices. In fact it’s a very exciting time.

Back