No Trump pardon for Assange or Silk Road's Ross Ulbricht, clemency for Anthony Levandowski

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? As his presidency comes to an end, Donal Trump has pardoned 73 people while another 70 have had their sentences commuted. Despite speculation that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and Silk Road's Ross Ulbricht would be granted clemency, neither made the list.

NSA whistleblower Assange, currently serving a 50-week sentence in London's Belmarsh prison for jumping bail in 2012, avoided extradition to America earlier this month. He is wanted in the US for violation of the Espionage Act of 1917.

Assange, still wanted by the US

One of Assange's unlikely supporters is actress Pamela Anderson. The former Baywatch star claims to have Trump's ear and recently said the President was considering a pardon for the Australian national. But Assange wasn't one of those receiving executive grants of clemency.

Last month, a report from the Daily Beast stated that Trump had expressed sympathy for Ross Ulbricht. The founder of notorious dark web drug marketplace Silk Road is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole; a punishment many say outweighs the crime. Silk Road's largest drug seller received ten years, while other site admins were sentenced to between 17 months and six and a half years.

Anthony Levandowski will be celebrating today

Like Assange, Ulbricht never received any pardon from Trump. Some of those who did include former advisor Steve Bannon, rappers Lil Wayne and Kodak Black, and Anthony Levandowski. For those who don't remember, the self-driving car engineer pleaded guilty to one count of stealing trade secrets from Google.

Levandowski founded driverless freight truck startup, Otto, after leaving Google-owned Waymo, which was later sold to Uber. He admitted taking 14,000 files from his former employer, including a sensitive document that outlined Waymo's plans, metrics, and technological solutions for its autonomous car project. He received 18 months in prison, but the sentence wasn't set to begin until the pandemic eased.

Last month, Trump pardoned former US congressman Duncan Hunter, who pleaded guilty to the misuse of over $250,000 of campaign funds on personal expenses, including $1,500 on Steam games.

Here is the full list of Donald Trump's pardons and commutations.

Permalink to story.

I knew he’d make a wave of vengeful pardons, but, if I really wanted to drive the knife deep and twist it, I’d have freed Ghislane Maxwell, Harvey Weinstein and Bernie Madoff.

While I understand the original principle of presidential pardons... by using them at the end of their terms in “bulk”, all it does is show how corrupt the system is...
And by no means is Trump the only one... every president does this at the end of their term and it just reeks of corruption.

While I understand the original principle of presidential pardons... by using them at the end of their terms in “bulk”, all it does is show how corrupt the system is...
And by no means is Trump the only one... every president does this at the end of their term and it just reeks of corruption.

When I learned about the powers and the limitations of the presidency and the Congress I knew that sooner or later this day would come when someone would blatantly abuse the system. It was inevitable.

Donald Trump‘s presidency has been nothing less than a test of the constitution and an indictment of America.

When I learned about the powers and the limitations of the presidency and the Congress I knew that sooner or later this day would come when someone would blatantly abuse the system. It was inevitable.

Donald Trump‘s presidency has been nothing less than a test of the constitution and an indictment of America.
The pardon system has been abused long before Trump... Obama, Bush, Clinton and many before them have all abused it.

I think the time has come to scrap it...

People want term limits and people want limitations to the presidency but without a constitutional convention it’s never going to happen.
Oh I didn't say it was going to happen.... one of the great (and terrible) features of the American constitution is that it is extremely resistant to change. This allows for complete r3tards to become president and the country remains much the same.... but also means that any positive change takes a long time (if ever) to happen...

Last edited:
He obviously planned to pardon Ghislane, but it's not possible until she's convicted. Which is probably why the FBI waited with the trial until some time after today.

Oh, he could have pardoned her. But why would he ? Seems like he was not exactly friends with that crowd.

Ford Pardoned Nixon for any crimes he may have committed while in office after all.

Oh, he could have pardoned her. But why would he ? Seems like he was not exactly friends with that crowd.

Ford Pardoned Nixon for any crimes he may have committed while in office after all.

Actually the law does not require a person to be convicted to get a pardon ..... just look at Steve Bannon and a number of the other pardons. Just goes to show that there needs to be a legal requirement that a president go through the DOJ Pardons Legal Council and pass some form of litmus test before being eligible for a pardon. As it is we now have a perfect example of how the process can be abused ....

Trump wouldn't pardon Julian Assange or Ross Albricht but he did pardon this sorry excuse for a human being:
"Representative Rick Renzi – President Trump granted a full pardon to Representative Rick Renzi of Arizona. Mr. Renzi’s pardon is supported by Representative Paul Gosar, Representative Tom Cole, former Representative Tom DeLay, former Representative Jack Kingston, former Representative Todd Tiahrt, former Representative John Doolittle, former Representative Duncan Hunter Sr., former Representative Richard Pombo, former Representative Charles Taylor, former Representative Dan Burton, Larry Weitzner, National Institute of Family and Life Advocates, and numerous other members of his community. In 2013, Mr. Renzi was convicted of extortion, bribery, insurance fraud, money laundering, and racketeering. He was sentenced to 2 years in Federal prison, 2 years of supervised release, and paid a $25,000 fine. Before his conviction, Mr. Renzi served three terms in the House of Representatives. His constituents considered him a strong advocate for better housing, quality education, and improved healthcare—especially for the underprivileged and Native Americans. He is the father of 12 children and a loving and devoted husband."

The part that I bolded are his crimes. Those are all crimes that are often attributed to organised crime. Of course, being a congressman meant that he only received a two-year sentence. Being a Republican means that Trump pardons him if for no other reason. Meanwhile, all that Julian Assange did was inform the American people that their government was behaving badly. The USA has become so corrupt that I don't even recognise it anymore.

Ain't that America?

Actually the law does not require a person to be convicted to get a pardon ..... just look at Steve Bannon and a number of the other pardons. Just goes to show that there needs to be a legal requirement that a president go through the DOJ Pardons Legal Council and pass some form of litmus test before being eligible for a pardon. As it is we now have a perfect example of how the process can be abused ....
Oh, we‘ve had that before...as much as I‘m happy to no longer hear from or about Trump (guess they‘ll need to hire writers for late night shows to come up with original material now) , we don‘t need to pretend that Trump is first or behind any of the bad things we‘ve been seeing.

Nixon resigned and admitted guilt, with the guarantee of a pardon. If you've followed the news the last months, it's widely known T#### queried everybody with insight whether it's possible to pardon without that, and no one could find a reason for it to work. That would legally give a person one of those Bond licenses to kill or do anything they like, forever.

Nixon resigned and admitted guilt, with the guarantee of a pardon. If you've followed the news the last months, it's widely known T#### queried everybody with insight whether it's possible to pardon without that, and no one could find a reason for it to work. That would legally give a person one of those Bond licenses to kill or do anything they like, forever.
Nixon did not admit guilt when he resigned. He also did not publicly admit any guilt at the time, but it might be construed that he did indirectly:

At a 2014 panel discussion, Ford’s lawyer during that period, Benton Becker, explained an additional element that influenced Ford’s decision to issue a presidential pardon: a 1915 Supreme Court decision. In Burdick v. United States, the Court ruled that a pardon carried an "imputation of guilt" and accepting a pardon was "an admission of guilt.”. Thus, this decision implied that Nixon accepted his guilt in the Watergate controversy by also accepting Ford’s pardon.

Also interesting:

Biden is not president! Thanks to the illegitimate election, our country is now under military control. Biden has no power and will never have power. If you can't see the evidence, you are not looking. Furthermore putting all your faith in corporations.

I actually feel sorry for all you Trump haters. You have such a hatred for Trump, you are blinded to the evil he is fighting.

Biden is not president! Thanks to the illegitimate election, our country is now under military control. Biden has no power and will never have power. If you can't see the evidence, you are not looking. Furthermore putting all your faith in corporations.

I actually feel sorry for all you Trump haters. You have such a hatred for Trump, you are blinded to the evil he is fighting.
Well, all the evidence seems to point the other way... care to share any evidence for your crackpot theory?

It doesn't matter what I post. You will choose not to believe it. It will not be what you want to hear. You will completely disregard everything that doesn't correspond with your belief.

It doesn't matter what I post. You will choose not to believe it. It will not be what you want to hear. You will completely disregard everything that doesn't correspond with your belief.
Actually, I’m pretty sure that applies to you.... and a 70 minute rant of a talk show is not evidence...

Back