Non-system disk or disk error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,
I'm badly and urgently in need of help. I just "sanitized" the hard disk of my HP Compaq 6720s laptop and now I can't boot up. The process starts and after "initiating and establishing link", it says "PXE-61: Media test failure, check cable", PXE-MOF: exiting Intel boot agent" then it goes to "Non-System disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready".

I tried booting from CD cuz I wanted to change OS but when it gets towards the end it says "acpi.sys damaged" then asks me to strike any key to restart computer. I'm at a loss about what to do! Please guys I really need this laptop functioning especially this week. Somebody HELP!!

Just what did you use to "sanitize" your harddrive with? Was the harddrive giving you problems before?

That ACPI.sys file is for the hard drives and there is a very strong possibility you have Harddrive failure.

You could try doing the reinstall, go the way through, not repairing on the first screen but do it on the second screen when it asks for a repair. Dont forget, if youre using sata harddrives you will need to load the drivers (f6)

The issue could with the controllers on the mother board you have. In other words, there is the strong possibility that the hard drive and the link from the mobo, the controller is faulty.

But my strong guess, and it is only a guess, the harddrive is in need of repair or you need a brand new one. If you have to purchase a new one don't buy from HP. Buy from NewEgg. It will be cheaper. Just make sure you get the correct harddrive.

Thanks very much man for the suggestions. It so happens that I my hard drive's SATA and I didn't load the said drives during my reinstall attempt. Too bad I saw your post after I'd decided to do away once and for all with Vista even at the expense of my data. I tried installing Windows 7 and since it went through smoothly, I decided to wipe the disk clean and start afresh. As of now I'm doing fine with Windows 7. Thanks very much again for the pains; I appreciate your help. Nfor Edwin N.

help me please

Hey, i did the same thing u did sanitized the same type of notebook, and i want to put a windows XP sp3 on it but it just gives me the NON system or disk -error. Could you please tell me how you fixed yours...I have never sanitized anyhting before, i always re install a fresh copy of an OS , and it goes smooothly...i don't know what to do, can you help me?

Hey Kate, I´m sorry for not replying earlier but here in Africa we don´t have internet access everxywhere: I was actually out of town. I hope you have found a solution to your problem already, but if not I just want to tell you that mine didn´t sound so complicated. Actually, I installed a different OS (Windows 7 to be exact) and it went on smoothly. I would suggest for you to check into your BIOS setup and configure boot sequence to start from CD drive if that is not the case and if the OS u are trying to install is actually on a CD. If this doesn´t work for your OS,and if u have the means, try a Windows 7 and see how it plays out. Wish u the very best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back