Norton 360 Full Scan crashes PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Symptoms: Sluggish PC, some applications hang with no response, prompting the ever popular send report to Microsoft message. Running Windows XP, SP3.

Norton 360 Quick Scan shows a clean PC. I suspect a virus anyway and run a full scan, however, after the liveupdate, the PC crashes during the full scan.

Steps taken:
I've gone thru the paid tech support chat with 3 different techs. First, they deleted temp files, ran the full scan, crash, reboot. Uninstalled N360 and reinstalled N360, ran the full scan, crash, reboot. Another tech performed the same steps in safe mode. Same results. One of the techs did say they removed a virus and got a clean full scan, but symptoms recurred during our fond farewell, via another system crash. Today's tech noted a problem with Norton at which time I requested a refund.

Question: Do I or do I not have a virus. It feels like a virus, but my valuable software fails to detect it, remove it, or tell me about it. Perhaps it's just my suspicious mind.

I'd appreciate any guidance.
Thanks very much.

Leesway

Attachment incoming!

I read thru the 8 step process. Disabled Spydoctor and ran the logs. Will decide the next steps depending on your expert advice.

Thanks in advance for your efforts!
Leesway.

you have allot of running protection both on system and your browser
Spyware is gone
just to clean things up run Hijackthis and check the following for FIX

C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
mmon Files\AOL\1139706215\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/se...0000049.000000b9&c=00000082.000000e6.0000026f

O4 - Global Startup: Utility Tray.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: EarthLink Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\EarthLink\Protection Control Center\Toolbar\SearchUI.dll/search.html

O16 - DPF: {AE6C4705-0F11-4ACB-BDD4-37F138BEF289} (Image Uploader Control) - http://www.ritzpix.com/net/Uploader/LPUploader45.cab
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/fn/default/full/nfl/free/top_body_stripe.gif

WOLF! Thanks for your help. I've followed your suggestions. Things seem to be running fairly smoothly. No application hang ups and no unexpected crashes for 2 days. Do you think my system just needed a little tune up and I may be virus free?
Again, I really appreciate your advice.
Leesway

I read thru the 8 step process. Disabled Spydoctor and ran the logs. Will decide the next steps depending on your expert advice.
Leesway.
Un-install Spyware Doctor

Un-install the useless Norton Antivirus: Instructions H E R E
Then run the Norton Removal tool

Run Startup Control Panel and remove any not required startups: (should be most!)

Install Avira

Start up Malwarebytes again; Update it; then run a full scan (remove all found Malwares)
You need to run this multiple times, until all hidden Malwares are uncovered and removed

By the way, if following the => 8-Step Guide; you must supply all logs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back