NTLDR Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

deseraligears

Turned on daughters computer and this what cam up. Tried an f 8 boot still the same! do I need to reboot with windows CD? Thanks

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

There is a space between the file name and the c:\, you must have that space in there.
Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot

I dont remember for sure, but you may need to use the word "expand" instead of copy for the above commands.

Actually do most of the above (until you get to the Recovery Console)
But try Chkdsk c: /r on the command line
I know it's strange, but I've seen where after running a Check Disk some of the system files corrupted are then ok. (Strange but has worked before)

If it didn't help, you may need to continue above, actually there are a number of old threads on the subject. See below

ntldr

Okay thanks followed instructions i now get the message "Windows could not start becuase the following is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. so do I do the same with this file? Thanks

dtsrl

thanks I wiped clean rebboted and put cd windows in drive all is well but I use a at&t stick and it won't connect do I need to download the cd from At& T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back