Nvidia 8400 GS Code 12 Resource Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salutations. This is my first post.
I have used this site in the past to resolve issues, however this current issue is driving me batty.

I recently purchased the Sims 3. It required me to upgrade my video card. I purchased a Nvidia 8400 GS. I uninstalled the old software for my old card, removed it, installed the hardware and software for the Nvidia card and rebooted.

In the device manager it is showing that it does not have enough resources (code 12). I tried looking through the resources and nothing seems to be sharing the same exact resource. The only thing that is showing a conflict is Vgasave and its conflicting with a pci-pci bridge. Silly me, i disabled it, rebooted, got a black display on the desktop, so I just went through the keyboard to re-enable it, rebooted and it's fine.

I also tried to go through safe mode, uninstall and reinstall the nvidia card. I also tried it in a different pci slot.

Problem is, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to re-configure the resources in order for the video card to work. Especially since nothing else is showing a conflict.

The only thing I can think of at this point is to exchange the pci slot card for an agp slot card. But I dont know if that would make a difference.

Unfortunately, my interest in computers is higher than my knowledge. All I can think to tell you is that I am on a dell dimension desktop that I purchased in fall of 2003. I am running windows xp professional service pack 3. As far as hardware and settings everything is stock except for a netgear wireless card and the aforementioned nvidia card.

Buckets of gratitude in advance.

You may have to upgrade your motherboards bios and/or chipset drivers if you can. That motherboard is very minimal. I haven't seen resource conflicts since the days of Windows Me and 98

Thanks for the response. I ended up just breaking dow and getting the agp slot card instead and miraculously it worked. Like I said, my computer knowledge isnt great, and I cant really explain why the agp card works and the pci one doesnt. I think it has something to do with the power supply. Anyways, thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back