Nvidia DLSS: An Early Investigation

Julio Franco

Staff member
Now You need to buy 4k monitor and 2080Ti (2k$) just to be able to play 1080p games lol. Playing same game on FHD monitor with 980GTX (300$) you'll get exactly same picture and same fps. DLSS does not give any advantages of 4k, picture is not crispier, on flight sim you wont be able to spot objects from further away, more lag, blur etc. It's just so much marketing thing.

DLSS, Ray Tracing....honestly, for the absurd prices I could care less. I believe Nvidia are gouging the prices of these cards to discourage consumers from buying them until the 10xx stock has sold out. That's my guess anyway because no way in Hell even with the DLSS and RTX are these cards worth the prices Nvidia have them set at. The over all performance just doesn't warrant what Nvidia are asking for them....1 2080 Ti, I could buy 2, 1080 Ti cards (Which I already run a pair of in my current rig.)Anyway, I guess we'll see how they do on down the road.

The start contrast between the two games seems to be pretty telling, even though these are both canned benchmarks Nvdia specifically choose.

If DLSS isn't much of an improvement over upscaling and modern AA methods performance visually, it's not really worth having dedicated hardware for and as of right now those tensor cores only live for DLSS on the RTX 20XX series.

I don't think we need AA at 4k resolution. IF you do, something not so powerhungry like FXAA should do fine.

I think DLSS and the performance improvement over the 1080 and 1080ti doesn't justify the cost of a new card.

We need to see ray tracining in many games. Ray tracing that blows our minds. Otherwise you can get a 1080 or 1080ti for a really good price, especially off craigslist or kijiji.

We just don't know, until we know, basically.

So to recap, don't preorder. Don't buy a card based on tech you can't test yet. Also, don't buy a card you can't afford, especially if you think it costs too much.

There is almost no difference whatsoever. This is like the difference between 8xmsaa and 16xmsaa at 8k resolution on a 15" monitor.

I don't think we need AA at 4k resolution.

What makes you think, 4k needs less AA than lets say 1080p? You ASSUME people use same size displays for both resolutions, but that is usually not so. I for example would not touch a 4k display anything smaller than 40" (which has same pixel size as 20" 1080p). Are you saying that we don't need AA on 20" 1080p either?

Well it looks to be better than checkerboard, and that worked out well for the consoles.. but at the cost of giving over a huge chunk of die size to tensor cores, and that price?

I'm not sold. It's hard to escape the notion that this is a low binned AI GPU being fobbed off on gamers with more money than sense. DLSS and ray tracing tech are interesting, but not at this price point. A full blown raster 7nm GPU may turn out to be more compelling.

How about 1440p DLSS 2x vs 1440p TAA testing ? if perf are the same and dlss 2x gives better visual it's still a win

Where is the 1440p DLSS FPS rate? Or didn't that support your bias?

somewhere they say that at 1440p 2080ti becomes cpu limited (without ray tracing on)

Would have been better to post the crazy good FPS number in the charts that then produces... if cpu bound we are talking a massive FPS number that would demonstrate the benefit of DLSS on these Turing cards. It seems everyone is trying to talk them down.

Basically we didn’t need more large additional strides in FPS out of a single gpu for even enthusiast monitors. 1440p is a minority of overall gamers PCs , 4K even less so with most running 1080p. The majority of more hard core enthusiasts are either running ultra wides in 3440x1440@100hz or 1440p@ 144hz.

Nvidia come along and give enough grunt not to dip below refresh rate on those monitors at ultra settings plus some technology to drive games necessary to drive studios closer to photo-realism games and the internet becomes awash with shoddy hack writers who want to obscure everything good or talk down the benefits for what? More FPS rates no one can see without a US$2000 monitor no one owns?

As a PC gaming enthusiast I think DLSS and ray tracing are awesome new innovations. I can’t wait until these techs become more mainstream and we get better visuals and more options for 3D rendering. Of course the tech is brand new and therefore expensive. But we are all going to have to get used to high prices. There is a huge market of PC gaming enthusiasts (like myself I guess) who are willing to pay the prices. For me the most disappointing thing is how the tech community appear to be highly critical of all this stuff because of the new higher prices. PC gaming is still, even with the new i9 & RTX pricing not even that expensive a hobby compared to something like motorsport, sailing and I could go and list plenty of other hobbies that normal people spend their hard earned cash on. I for example have spent enough to buy more than one top spec gaming rig on scuba diving equipment and trips this year and I’m not some kind of millionaire, I’m just a working professional who lives in a numbered house in a small town on the south coast of the U.K. Nvidia want £100 more for a 1080ti with added ray tracing and DLSS? That really isn’t a lot to ask for a brand new tech if you ask me.

..Its just another tactic to lock you in to the proprietary Nvidia eco system.

First it was PhysX then GSync and now DLSS.

How I detest this company.

There's that word... again. Proprietary. Because open source and standards are soooo much better? You know what open source is comparable to? Store brand products at your grocery store. Not great, but not bad. Sorry, but as a lover of tech, that is not acceptable. Ever.

You can't possibly think innovation comes from everyone sharing... do you?!

I really liked PhysX and really, really love GSync... I'll take a look at DLSS when I decide to get a capable GPU.

I don't think we need AA at 4k resolution.

What makes you think, 4k needs less AA than lets say 1080p? You ASSUME people use same size displays for both resolutions, but that is usually not so. I for example would not touch a 4k display anything smaller than 40" (which has same pixel size as 20" 1080p). Are you saying that we don't need AA on 20" 1080p either?

And you are ASSUMING people stays at the same distance from 20" and 40" panels

Back