Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Review: A New Mainstream King

Looks like a great card for 1080p, and even useful at budget 1440p. Especially the overclocking result, beating out the GTX1070! Looks like there could be really nice gains to be had, especially since memory modules are often really overclockable.

It beats the RX580 in nearly every test often handily, and also schools the RX590 frequently. Nearly 100 watts less gaming load than the AMD rivals to boot, you aren't needing an expensive model with a big cooler.

Sweet card. Not worth it as an upgrade for those already on the last gen midrange 1060/580, but if you still have say a GTX960 or GTX1050Ti (that's A LOT of people according to Steam) then this is probably the card to go for.

I'm really happy that NVIDIA chose to go for 6GB this time, and not a crippled card.

Looks pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing how the 1650 performs.

I was really afraid that they would go with 3GB of GDDR6. This is a much more sensible option. Now all we need is some competition to drive costs down even further. This is the price bracket I'm most interested in for home use.

Well, unfortunately it's not looking like it's out yet. Not even listed on nVidia's website, not on Micro Center's, not on PCPartPicker.com, etc.

I was able to find it listed on Newegg... but of the 15 non-TI models listed on their site, 12 are already listed as being "Out of Stock". You can get the Gigabyte Windforce OC for the $220 (but you pay another $7 for shipping), the ASUS Phoenix OC for $225, or the EVGA XC Gaming for $230 (although you can send away for a $10 gift card "rebate"). And while 3 of the out-of-stocks are running for the $220 MSRP, some of the "high-end" models will run you $250. And since any price above $230 puts you at the same cost-per-frame as the RX 580, I'm a little underwhelmed at the performance gap & really disappointed that nVidia is apparently still having trouble getting enough supply to its partners, especially at launch.

"Bang for your buck the GTX 1660 can’t be beat. The power efficiency is there, and the MSI Gaming X model we used for testing worked like a charm, running cool and quiet with a reasonable amount of overclocking headroom on offer."

I wanted to add that the RX 580 is coming with 2 AAA games and like stated by Greennova343, MSRP are not accurate with pricing.

n.b.: I cannot edit my last comment. Your forums are buggy and doesn't work with some browser.

So many Amd fans with hurted feelings... It is enjoyable tho.

I dont give a damn about cost per frame on 50€ differences. But I do care about performance + power efficiency, and this gtx 1660 completly obliterates both amd and current nvidia offerings on the mainstream.

Deal with it. Rip RX 5xx

Yeah the road to Navi is going to be painful. AMD should just halt production of their Polaris cards and drop prices to the following:

$180 - 590
$150 - 580
$120 - 570
$80 - 560

Just let them sell out and build up demand for Navi, no point in making any more of these dang things. I bet that $250 RTX 2070 killer (RX 3080) doesn't sound that crazy to people anymore does it people? That's what Radeon needs to have any relevancy in Q2/3...

>:/

Your cost analysis per frame is useless if you aren't updating your price list. I will even say that they are MISLEADING!

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14071/nvidia-gtx-1660-review-feat-evga-xc-gaming

The RX 580 is 179$. Making it 2.304$ per frame.
They update it regularly. There are a few RX 580 8GB for $179 to $189 on Newegg but it looks like that is the sale price and not the regular price. $179 is not too far off the mark from $199, is it? How can that be useless? There is a sale on Vega 56 as well for $320 right now but looks like it is promo price. Both are good deals.

Nevertheless, this card is also an excellent card to buy. For me, it comes down to if you care about the game bundle that comes with the AMD cards.

Yeah the road to Navi is going to be painful. AMD should just halt production of their Polaris cards and drop prices to the following:

$180 - 590
$150 - 580
$120 - 570
$80 - 560

Just let them sell out and build up demand for Navi, no point in making any more of these dang things. I bet that $250 RTX 2070 killer (RX 3080) doesn't sound that crazy to people anymore does it people? That's what Radeon needs to have any relevancy in Q2/3...
Why would AMD halt production on something that makes money for them? O_o
Navi is still quite a few months away. They will slow down Polaris production once Navi goes into mass production and eventually stop it completely when 7nm yields are stable and stocks are no longer an issue.
What we'll most likely see is a permanent price drop for Polaris and Vega (the 580 and 570 are already selling well under their MSRP in some countries). Everybody should do a value chart based on their local prices.

From fps GTX1660 line looks a lot like GTX980 or GTX1070. I have an old 980gtx I paid 200$ 4 years ago and it runs faster than new shiny 1660gtx in many titles, so wheres the catch?

I dont give a damn about cost per frame on 50€ differences. But I do care about performance + power efficiency, and this gtx 1660 completly obliterates both amd and current nvidia offerings on the mainstream.

Deal with it. Rip RX 5xx

So it's the fault of "AMD fanbois" that nVidia's own website lists zero available GTX 1660 (non-TI) cards? That Newegg has only a handful of models even in stock? That the prices of said stock are actually higher than the MSRP would lead you to expect? Wow, I did't realize that AMD had that much power to interfere so much with nVidia... /sarcasm

Doesn't matter if it's AMD, nVidia, Intel, or even Cyrix from the old days: if you can't bring your product to market so that people can buy it, & you can't even keep the price at the MSRP, it's going to be a disappointing embarrassment for the company. And most tech sites (including Techspot, BTW) usually take actual market prices into account rather than MSRP when providing cost comparisons. I'm willing to give Techspot the benefit of the doubt, since the 1660 just got released (& the lack of available product makes it hard to get a decent gauge of the real cost to consumers), but I wouldn't be surprised if they revisit the comparisons in a couple of months once those prices stop fluctuating.

So, how much faster than the GTX 1060 3GB/6GB is this card (on average)?

If I'm reading the charts right, it's maybe running 5-15% faster (~10% average) than the 1060, & maybe 5-10% slower than the 1070.

From fps GTX1660 line looks a lot like GTX980 or GTX1070. I have an old 980gtx I paid 200$ 4 years ago and it runs faster than new shiny 1660gtx in many titles, so wheres the catch?

That's the whole point: you'd be paying for a new card that provides you little or no improvement (or, in your case, reduced performance).

Deal with it. Rip RX 5xx

You are funny... we are not talking about 50$ difference, but something like 150$ of value.

Yeah, power is important, but not THAT important if you are playing games. You really think a lightbulb more or less is going to make a difference for a gamer at load over a year budget? Maybe 3$-5$ if I am generous with the estimate per year of electricity supplementary consumption.

As of now, the RX 580 is reigning supreme at 180-190$ with 2 AAA games bundled with it. Stop drinking the coolaid and compare the real value.

$180 - 590
$150 - 580
$120 - 570
$80 - 560

July is in 4 months pal... yeah... a long road indeed... /sarcasm...

A few comments from an AMD fanboy:

Your review suite seems a bit slanted performance wise. Just looking at it I got the impression the 1660 is WAY faster than the 590. However for example at PC gamer's review, https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-review/ over their 13 game suite at 1080P, they have the 590 a smidge faster than the 1660 in 97th percentile minimum frame rate (85.0 for the 590 vs 81.2 for the 1660) which shocked me after reading your review. They have it at 110.1 for the 1660 and 109.3 for the 590 for average FPS, so a virtual tie, but typically the minimum lows are more important. Anandtech's review just glancing over also seems to place the 590 almost on par with the 1660. Techpowerup's review places the 590 at 92% as fast as the 1660, but Wizzard's reviews do typically underrate AMD performance as well for some reason. I also checked Toms hardware review and again, they have the 590 and 1660 basically tied in contrast to your review. Specifically the 590 was faster in 6/12 games and the 1660 was faster in the other 6/12 (just glancing so I didn't run percentages but in most games they actually appeared very close no matter who won). I also liked Tom's review in that they seem to have a very forward looking/modern benchmark suite, including such games as Destiny 2, Far Cry 5, and Metro Exodus.

I also dont like how reviews focus on 1080P for some reason. I use my 8GB 570 on my 1440P monitor, and it works fine. I dont care about 60FPS. Most even the latest and greatest games run easily on my 570 at 1440P at well well above 30 FPS, at high or highest type settings. Honestly if I was to tweak I'm sure I could run at 60 most games at medium to high, if I cared about that. The 1660 is way more powerful than my 570! So 1440P should definitely be tested.

And if you say 30 FPS is unacceptable, how come the highest rated games are Sony console exclusives that only run at barely 30 FPS? For example, God of War on Playstation 4 runs at 30 FPS with dips under 30 FPS and received over a 90 metacritic. Uncharted series, Infamous, Horizon Zero Dawn, all run at only 30 FPS.

Finally for prices, you list the 590 at $260 and the 580 at $200. These aren't off by a ton but just looking, the lowest 580's on newegg are $190, and 590's are $240 (to be precise, there are currently 4 models of 590 available on newegg, 2 of them are 240). This would skew the value charts somewhat. You seem to consistently overprice the AMD cards. On the other hand, Nvidia prices are rock bottom, you will never find a 1660 for less than $220 which is what you have it listed as.

Finally the 580, 570 (some models), and 590 all have 8GB RAM. IMO 6GB is cutting it a bit close. I dont think it's a big deal at this performance level, but it is something to consider looking to the future and even the present. I think most sites decision to test this at only 1080P (I bet they tested the 590 at 1440P) was partly to protect Nvidia from running out of RAM at higher resolutions.

Of course that said the heat, noise and power usage of the 590 makes it not really in the debate vs the 1660 IMO even if they were the same price or the 590 was $20 cheaper. I may be a fanboy but I'm not irrational. However the 580 and 570, especially the latter, still have pretty strong price/performance niches IMO. Nvidia didn't upset the apple cart too much, they never do, gotta protect those margins.

Last edited:
So Nvidia has GPU for every 10 - 15 % level of performance /1660/1660 ti /2060/2070
hey AMD is also competing but with power consumption which is also good to stay competitive anyway!

Just to put on Tom's hardware review conclusion which I agree with

"But does it really? When we fold in benchmark results from the older Radeon RX 580, generated by Tom’s Hardware Germany using a similar test system, and then apply U.S. pricing, AMD’s card scores just a bit better. Granted, it gets wrecked when we switch to a performance per watt comparison. If you’re not really concerned about power consumption, though, it’s really hard to pass on an 8GB Radeon RX 580, currently available at $190, for 1080p gaming"

All that said the 1660 offers some solid value. If I was in the market for a video card right now it'd be a top contender since I always hunt at the lower price ranges. The 1440 vs 1080 distinction IMO is a false one since faster is welcome anywhere it shows up IMO. AMD still owns the sub 200 market though IMO. I wonder if NVidia will challenge that or just give it up since undoubtedly that's not where the profits are (same reason Samsung and Apple dont make $200 phones!)

Well, I would agree that RX580/590 will need another price adjustment, but I don't know... I feel like if I was the owner of the previous generation of 1080p cards in the $200-250 range, I wouldn't go out to buy 1660/1660Ti as an upgrade. Maybe if my current card burnt down. But then I would also consider buying preowned card, waiting for next, 7nm card from either AMD/nVidia/(Intel)?

>:/

Your cost analysis per frame is useless if you aren't updating your price list. I will even say that they are MISLEADING!

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14071/nvidia-gtx-1660-review-feat-evga-xc-gaming

The RX 580 is 179$. Making it 2.304$ per frame.
They update it regularly. There are a few RX 580 8GB for $179 to $189 on Newegg but it looks like that is the sale price and not the regular price. $179 is not too far off the mark from $199, is it? How can that be useless? There is a sale on Vega 56 as well for $320 right now but looks like it is promo price. Both are good deals.

Nevertheless, this card is also an excellent card to buy. For me, it comes down to if you care about the game bundle that comes with the AMD cards.
To be fair, he linked a 1 fan gimped version for 180, really reaching...

So it's the fault of "AMD fanbois" that nVidia's own website lists zero available GTX 1660 (non-TI) cards? That Newegg has only a handful of models even in stock? That the prices of said stock are actually higher than the MSRP would lead you to expect? Wow, I did't realize that AMD had that much power to interfere so much with nVidia... /sarcasm

Doesn't matter if it's AMD, nVidia, Intel, or even Cyrix from the old days: if you can't bring your product to market so that people can buy it, & you can't even keep the price at the MSRP, it's going to be a disappointing embarrassment for the company. And most tech sites (including Techspot, BTW) usually take actual market prices into account rather than MSRP when providing cost comparisons. I'm willing to give Techspot the benefit of the doubt, since the 1660 just got released (& the lack of available product makes it hard to get a decent gauge of the real cost to consumers), but I wouldn't be surprised if they revisit the comparisons in a couple of months once those prices stop fluctuating.

Idk what you talking about but local stores here in Portugal already have the card, going from 249€ for the MSI ventus model

Back