Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Review

The 3070 for the most part was the equivalent of the 2080Ti, although it's more efficient and WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LESS EXPENSIVE (Goddamn Crypto scalpers).

The problem with the 3070 (and everything else below the 3080) was the lack of VRAM.

The BENEFIT of the 3060Ti and 3070 was that when I waited on line for them, I was able to get both. They were produced in higher numbers.
The 3070 and 3060Ti - and consequently, the 3070Ti are easier to manufacture.

Most gamers are using either a 1080p or 1440p monitor, but they are trying to buy a GPU that's designed for 4K performance at 60fps.
Considering the price of all cards have been scalped way up, I would say that the 3070Ti is a BLESSING to anyone who can't get anything else, while still giving them better-than-2080Ti-Performance.

I would say that the 3070Ti should be enough for most gamers (unless they want the bragging rights of a 3080Ti or 3090 for their unsocial media like me.

Good Luck getting one tho!

I wouldn't have any problem with the worse perf/$ compared to the 3070 if it at least offered a bit more VRAM than the 3070. 8GB for a card at 600$ MSRP is just way too low.

Edit: the 2080ti might age better than the 3070ti with lower power draw and 11GB of VRAM.

Last edited:
Classic Nvidia,
No doubt shifting manufacturing priority to the 3070ti as well, so less new stock of non ti models. No doubt with the mindset that they might as well take advantage of market conditions.

This is another crappy card which fortunately for Nvidia, will still sell out, at least in the near future where shortage will force people to snag up any decent GPUs available. However between the RTX 3070 and this 3070 Ti, I gladly go for the cheaper 3070. In my opinion, the RTX 3070 Ti changes nothing. If a game is unable to run well on a RTX 3070, I am pretty certain the Ti version won't change that since its mostly better by less than 10% between the 2.

This actually makes me wonder if the GDDR6X is worth it on the high end Ampere cards. How much difference did the GDDR6X bring to the table assuming Nvidia went with more conventional GDDR6 but using the faster variant @ 18Gbps instead of 14? The faster GDDR6X certainly don't seem to benefit the GPU much when compared to the RTX 3070 with the slower GDDR6 14Gbps. Instead, it lead to a huge jump in power requirement and heat output. I am sure the jump in performance is largely contributed by the extra SM enabled, rather than the switch to GDDR6X.

The total system power draw between the 3070 and 3070Ti is significant - according to the chart above.

Around 370W for the 3070 system and around 510 for the Ti model. That's almost a 40% increase in power draw for only about a 10% increase in FPS.

I'd much rather have a more power efficient 3070 over a 3070Ti with the performance being so close.

Availability aside. The prices of cards is absurd. The market is paying obviously otherwise they wouldn't charge but it really does a dis-service to PC gaming to have high end cards $600 to $1500 now as the norm. Maybe I am getting old.

Given the incredible difficulty in purchasing a new video card, perhaps more articles showing gamers how to optimize games for their older hardware would be useful. Most games look excellent at a mix of medium high settings, but you have to know which settings to turn down and which ones to max out. Games like Gears of War are good in this regard since they tell you which settings affect framerate the most.

The 3070 for the most part was the equivalent of the 2080Ti, although it's more efficient and WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LESS EXPENSIVE (Goddamn Crypto scalpers).

The problem with the 3070 (and everything else below the 3080) was the lack of VRAM.

The BENEFIT of the 3060Ti and 3070 was that when I waited on line for them, I was able to get both. They were produced in higher numbers.
The 3070 and 3060Ti - and consequently, the 3070Ti are easier to manufacture.

Most gamers are using either a 1080p or 1440p monitor, but they are trying to buy a GPU that's designed for 4K performance at 60fps.
Considering the price of all cards have been scalped way up, I would say that the 3070Ti is a BLESSING to anyone who can't get anything else, while still giving them better-than-2080Ti-Performance.

I would say that the 3070Ti should be enough for most gamers (unless they want the bragging rights of a 3080Ti or 3090 for their unsocial media like me.

Good Luck getting one tho!
I've been gaming at 1080p for years and always spend bigger than what I need because as games get more complex that former "beastly" gpu gets humbled, every single time.

SLI gtx570's
the OG Titan
currently 980ti

those are the cards I've used to play at 1080 and all of them get outdone, my 980ti is on deaths door but it still fights, and as soon as a good card is affordable enough im snagging it.

I'd love a new graphics card, but given the difficulty in obtaining one, it would be great if review sites didn't give as much air time to the likes of nVidia and in particular these cards. As has been mentioned, there are no signs of the situation improving, so there hardly seems a point. While the shortage may not be all of their making, I'm not sure they're doing their upmost to help the out of control pricing either.

I'd love a new graphics card, but given the difficulty in obtaining one, it would be great if review sites didn't give as much air time to the likes of nVidia and in particular these cards. As has been mentioned, there are no signs of the situation improving, so there hardly seems a point. While the shortage may not be all of their making, I'm not sure they're doing their upmost to help the out of control pricing either.

Nvidia seems to enjoy releasing their FE cards. They price them at their suggested MSRP. So, something odd is going on here with MSRPs and Nvidia (can claim the same about AMD) or AIBs are getting screwed or doing the screwing.

Here are the situations.

1. Nvidia has a bull$hit MSRP that they can't make any money off when they price their FE cards. So Nvidia is taking a loss....OR Nvidia is making their FE cards and still pulling a good profit off the MSRP they sell them at. If the latter is the case, how can Nvidia create their FE cards, sell them and make a profit when AIBs tell consumers that the prices are up on everything?

2. AIB are getting gouged by Nvidia and they can't make cards at/near MSRP because it wouldn't be cost effective. Or, AIB are just screwing over people and saying costs are up and over charging the crap out of everyone to milk the current situation.

Something isn't right, be it on Nvidia's/AMD's side or on the AIB's side. There's bull$hit on both sides, most likely, they're just taking turns on shoveling it back and forth all while the consumer is taken over the barrel.

The 3080ti isn't just a 3090 reject, it allows 24GB GDDR6X to be used for two cards instead of just one 3090.

3070Ti is def a trash product, but there won't be 3080Ti's in stock whether "gamers" like the price/perf or not, because gamers and professionals want it. Gamers bought Titans. Not because of the price/perf I promise you. Don't ever forget that.

High end is where the highest margins are and that is where Nvidia/AMD recoupe their costs the fastest. It's business that won't change anytime soon.

One old man's opinion - NVIDIA has scored out twice this week. Selling the gamers out and trying to get as much moolah as they can in this very crappy scammer and miner infested environment. Very sad. The 3080Ti was vastly price-inflated for very marginal performance gain...and this 3070Ti is basically the same. Tragic what this company has just done. I will just buy AMD - poor though it is - from now on principal from now on. Goodbye NVIDIA!

I completely agree. In any case Steve hasn't been pulling any punches in relation to the latest products. Great to see an honest critic who doesn't fawn all over Nvidia. The gaming GPU market is virtually a scam at the moment.

Last edited:
Totally agree that NVIDIA has sold out on the enthusiast community. Just sold out for the darned money. I hate them now...so much so, I will shoot myself in the foot and just buy a PowerColor 6700 from some scalper on Amazon for a grand just to spite NVIDIA. (PowerColor Red Devil has been going for the past few days on drops for $999.99, when it is MSRP at $830 or so. I am so tired of waiting for 'drops' and getting nothing ever from darned NewEgg with their Shuffles with very expensive cards and stupid bundles!) Listen to me NVIDIA: I will never buy one of your cards again! You LOST this customer. Thanks for the review.

What a depressing article. I can't afford any of the cards listed on charts, even if they were in stock.

A very sad state of affairs - in a better world - you would have 3050-3000 cards from $200 to $100 and equivalent AMD cards - surely those less wealthy deserve cards they can afford and with greater power efficiency - gaming on lower resolutions sans RT. Most of us started off on those cards and were well chuffed - makes sense young people gaming on phones with pay as you go games - + consoles - at least in a normal world lots of 1060s should be hitting 2nd hand market for $80-$100.
Too little silicon , too little return on lower products- same for houses - as land value goes up - developer only puts big houses on it

One old man's opinion - NVIDIA has scored out twice this week. Selling the gamers out and trying to get as much moolah as they can in this very crappy scammer and miner infested environment. Very sad. The 3080Ti was vastly price-inflated for very marginal performance gain...and this 3070Ti is basically the same. Tragic what this company has just done. I will just buy AMD - poor though it is - from now on principal from now on. Goodbye NVIDIA!

NVIDIA shares are up.

NVIDIA GPU are the most desired and sold out instantly.

No one has a choice.

They win by default.

NVIDIA shares are up.
NVIDIA GPU are the most desired and sold out instantly.
No one has a choice.
They win by default.

-Gamers do not care about stock prices
-Both Companies dGPU are sold out instantly, with AMD producing more gaming dies, than nVidia.
-Every Gamer has a choice, why wouldn't they?
-AMD wins be default, because (Navi @ TSMC) has higher yields, higher profits and more Game Developer support for it's architecture, than Ampere.

nVidia is selling the majority of RTX 30 to non-gamers.

Nvidia seems to enjoy releasing their FE cards. They price them at their suggested MSRP. So, something odd is going on here with MSRPs and Nvidia (can claim the same about AMD) or AIBs are getting screwed or doing the screwing.

Here are the situations.

1. Nvidia has a bull$hit MSRP that they can't make any money off when they price their FE cards. So Nvidia is taking a loss....OR Nvidia is making their FE cards and still pulling a good profit off the MSRP they sell them at. If the latter is the case, how can Nvidia create their FE cards, sell them and make a profit when AIBs tell consumers that the prices are up on everything?

2. AIB are getting gouged by Nvidia and they can't make cards at/near MSRP because it wouldn't be cost effective. Or, AIB are just screwing over people and saying costs are up and over charging the crap out of everyone to milk the current situation.

Something isn't right, be it on Nvidia's/AMD's side or on the AIB's side. There's bull$hit on both sides, most likely, they're just taking turns on shoveling it back and forth all while the consumer is taken over the barrel.
Nvidia is not stupid. Notice that they only produce FE cards when it is profitable. Given the current condition where cost of components are going up, I don't think you can find any RTX 3xxx going for MSRP. Its only when they bump prices up on the 3080 Ti when they start releasing FE cards again. AIB cards cannot meet MSRP likely because Nvidia is not selling them chips cheap, and given the coolers offered by AIB cards are better, that bumps prices even higher. This cost goes up even more significantly if they choose to use custom boards with specs over what Nvidia mandated as a minimal. In addition, they are doing the grunt work of distributing the products into the channel, which also bumps cost up.

The 3070 Ti is a fantastic advertisement for the 3080. What a waste of time and effort. Maybe if it had 12GB it would make sense.
You can't do 12GB on 256bit memory bus without resorting to some tricks which will impact performance. Remember GTX 970?

What they should have done for RTX 3070 Ti is simple. Just like the RTX 3080 mobile, they should enabled the full core, double the amount of GDDR6 to 16GB, but use a faster variant, I.e. 16 or 18 Gbps. Not sure what madness came over them to use GDDR6X when they would have known that it brings very marginal improvement to performance during their internal testing, but also increase power consumption greatly. Since Samsung produce 18 Gbps GDDR6 memory, it makes sense to get it from them since the chip is anyway fab by Samsung.

Last edited:
Back