Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 12GB Review: Shameless Cash Grab Edition

NVIDIA definitely would have improved the situation for everyone if they flooded the market with 3050Ti 8GB, 3060, 3070 and 3080 cards.

But they didn’t.

Despite the criticism against them, they are positioned at the top of the game and they get to dictate terms. Lions care not of the opinions of sheep.

I’m just very fortunate to have been able to get my gpus before the miners could.

Shameless Cash Grab. No reviews before or at launch and no MSRP.

Scummy nvidia beating it's own scummy high score again. Wonderful!

Do you believe reviews would have made a difference?

I would think anyone even reading a review with the credit card and inclination to buy a 3080, 3080Ti or 3090Ti only needs to see one stat:

“How does it compare to the 3090 in the 12 game average “.

Otherwise: that credit card is getting swiped and they will buy as many as possible.

Also 3 fps higher than 3080 and 3 fps lower than 3080 Ti (in 1% lows, or 4 fps in averages), what a joke is this segmentation... Pftt.

Bitcoin crashed hard today and ofc it took all alt coins with it, including the no1 enemy of gamers, Ethereum. The trend looks bleak for crypto this year, I hope it it stays that way because soon enough the market will be flooded with cards and the big and mighty nVidia will be sucking our dxcks just to make a sale.

Face it: with miners and gamers desperate to outperform everyone else, reviews don’t matter.

Not one bit.
And yet... you clicked on the review and felt obligated to post comments...

The supply chain issue is a global one - there is pretty much nothing Nvidia can do about it... so... why not take existing silicon, "optimize it", and sell it for whatever the market will currently bear?

AMD basically did the same thing with that putrid 6500 card... at least the 3080 is a good card!

Hey, when life gives you lemons...

Yeah, I was just blown away by what even the 10GB models cost. I wasn't going to get a new GPU because my RX 5700 XT is more than enough but I was offered a deal on a brand-new, O.G. reference RX 6800 XT that I couldn't say no to (I didn't even know that you could still get those). It was still expensive as all hell but $330 LESS than the cheapest one on newegg.ca and almost $600 less than the cheapest RTX 3080 10GB on newegg. When I saw the pricing of the RTX 3080 which was literally $1,100 MORE than I paid for my RX 6800 XT, I couldn't believe my eyes. Who knew that an extra 2GB of GDDR6X was worth over $500? Basically, the RTX 3080 12GB is nothing more than a vehicle to sell the 3080 Ti because it's less than $200 cheaper.

What really blew my mind was that the Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10GB was only $23 cheaper than the ASRock RX 6900 XT Phantom D 16GB. All I could do was shake my head because I would never consider buying a 6900 XT, let alone a lower-tiered card that costs more.

Yeah, I definitely made the right call. :laughing:

Last edited:
Shameless Cash Grab. No reviews before or at launch and no MSRP.

Scummy nvidia beating it's own scummy high score again. Wonderful!

Also 3 fps higher than 3080 and 3 fps lower than 3080 Ti (in 1% lows, or 4 fps in averages), what a joke is this segmentation... Pftt.

According to Videocardz, the 3050Ti will actually get reviews a day before you can buy it.

While I think this is how it should be in general, I suspect they do this to create a great initial impression based on MSRP. This did work great for the 3080 launch when everyone was raving about the great price perf.

Judging the 3050Ti based on the $250 msrp, it should appear like an awesome card, particularly compared to the 6500XT.

In the end (after launch week), I suspect it might end up competing with the 6600 and perhaps even XT based on real price but reviewers somehow still don‘t seem to get that. The 3600 and its msrp vs street price exists and it is using the same die as the 3050 Ti desktop.

NVIDIA definitely would have improved the situation for everyone if they flooded the market with 3050Ti 8GB, 3060, 3070 and 3080 cards.

But they didn’t.
Because they CAN'T.

They are selling everything as as fast as they can make it. GPUs are manufactured - not conjured by a wouldn't-it-be-nice whim.

FABs take years to build so more manufacturing capacity takes a while to bring online if future demand forecasts were wrong. Some mid level data analyst is more to blame than anyone - and it's not like anyone predicted the pandemic and all its fallout.

"Depending on where you are, the 12GB 3080 might actually be slightly better value than the 10GB 3080, so you could argue that it’s a welcomed upgrade. Personally though, I’d rather Nvidia remained committed to improving availability of the product they released in September 2020, which many people are still waiting for, the original 10GB RTX 3080."

First, how do you know availability is Nvidia's problem? We are seeing chip shortages across the board from cars to TVs and everything in-between. You presume that Nvidia has any power to change any of that.

"For Nvidia, the 12GB version of the RTX 3080 allows them to significantly boost profit margins on silicon that would have otherwise sold as the original 10 GB model, and therefore allows board partners and/or distributors to cash in on the current market’s demand. "

I love how blog writers, who have never run a business, much less an international electronic manufacturing business, like to talk about profit margins as if this is all simple third grade math. You have NO IDEA what the profit margins are and no idea whether the 12G 3080 has more or less profit built into the cost. And, by the way, no one is "cashing" in on the demand right now except scalpers. What Nvidia, and others, is trying to do is get more product into the market, and yes, so they can make more money. I wouldn't call that "cashing in" as much as it seems like a good business model. As my deal old dad would say, you gotta make hay while the sun shines.

Maybe, just maybe, Nvidia saw an opportunity to get more cards to market by using the lower core count version of the GPU and simply added more memory to help boot performance. I'm guessing, but I believe that the lower core count versions probably have a higher yield than the high core count version and that potentially makes them easier to produce in quantity. It seems to me this might actually help by getting more product into the hands of the end users.

Probably the card the 3080 should have been from day one, particularly with 12GB of VRAM. 10GB is adequate, 12GB is insurance.

However three variants of the 3080 look pointless seeing as though the performance differences are so small. Nvidia will sell anything with an RTX sticker on it these days so they won't care.

The closest most will come to these cards is a Youtube video of a billionaire's Dubai penthouse when they are displayed next to a trainer collection and a screen showing NFTs they own....

Imagine everyone if nvidia actually cared for gamers and instead of 3 different 3080 models, we only had the original one 10GB with 3x more availability and nvidia would also not sell it directly to miners.... imagine.... and then wake the **** up!

We are not living in a dream, nor are we living in that real world where nvidia does what they say: actually care about gamers.

We are in this **** version of a world instead.

But they didn’t.

Despite the criticism against them, they are positioned at the top of the game and they get to dictate terms. Lions care not of the opinions of sheep.

I’m just very fortunate to have been able to get my gpus before the miners could.
Those Lions do have to be careful as some of are Dogs and armed to boot

Srsly can you please not review something which has no price tag? until the price is clear the data has not much meaning

This article and comments section reaks of entitlement. How dare Nvidia have the audacity to maximise profits on a luxury product they make that people use to play computer games with!

Yeah I dont like high prices on GPUs either but blaming Nvidia (Or AMD etc) for the increased demand is a bit unfair. If any of us got offered more money to do our jobs we would take it.

Quick question @Steve - will you include the effect of driver overhead on the 3050Ti‘s performance on older / weaker systems ?

This would help avoid making a bad buy like the PCIe 3 testing for the 6500XT did.
I wish Techspot used Nvidia cards to test CPU gaming performance because of the larger CPU overhead. The same overhead that 76% of the market will have (steam survery reports that 3 out of 4 steam users are using Nvidia parts). But instead we they test with a 6900XT which doesnt even appear on most hardware surveys.

Also you will have to go back a very long way to find a CPU thats going to hold this back. With the 6500XT you can test with a 5600G and find the shortcomings as its only PCIe3 but to expose Nvidias driver overhead on a low end card like this youl need like an Intel i5 4400 or something.

Although I should point out that this may have changed. That testing was over a year ago and there have been several driver revisions since then. Go back a few years and it was Radeon drivers that had the larger CPU overhead. And I remember reading things back then saying it depends on the driver version. Its probably not a good idea to just assume Nvidia always has the heavier drivers.

Imagine everyone if nvidia actually cared for gamers and instead of 3 different 3080 models, we only had the original one 10GB with 3x more availability and nvidia would also not sell it directly to miners.... imagine.... and then wake the **** up!

We are not living in a dream, nor are we living in that real world where nvidia does what they say: actually care about gamers.

We are in this **** version of a world instead.
The heck are you talking about? Are you saying that nvidia can produce 3 times as many GPUs but they don't? Ohkay

This is where we are and it makes more sense for Nvidia to capture the card's value vs. a scalper or miner. Nvidia can use the windfall to bid on and win more fab capacity; and buyers who wish to pay this full amount can at least do so in a fully legitimate, documented, orderly transaction.

It's clear that mining is a major support for these price levels. If you believe (rightly or wrongly) that the card is going to mine you $5,000 of crypto over it's life, of course you're willing to pay $1,500 for it. What's less clear to me is if mining is the only support for this price, or if gamers alone could support cards at this price tier for the long term. Clearly there's at least a few who will pay any price, I'm just not sure how many.

Personally I believe we will again see a better market for gamers, it just may be a few years.

Back