Nvidia has a Logan-powered Shield 2 console in development

Scorpus

Staff member

nvidia logan-powered shield gaming console shield portable gaming logan shield 2

Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has revealed to Engadget that a successor to the Shield is in development, and it will likely be powered by a next-generation Tegra SoC codenamed 'Logan'. Huang reiterated Nvidia's strategy of delivering a new Shield each time a new Tegra SoC is available, and he said it would "bring me great joy" if a Shield 2 was Logan's first customer.

Logan is the successor to Nvidia's current ARM-based SoC, Tegra 4 (codenamed 'Wayne'), with the biggest update coming in the form of a new graphics chip. Logan will bring Nvidia's Kepler GPU architecture to low-power mobile platforms, which naturally is a big deal: Kepler is the current architecture used in Nvidia's GeForce 600 and 700 series desktop GPUs.

Nvidia already showed off Logan several months ago powering a development board, with the company claiming a top-end Logan chip will deliver more graphics power than a PlayStation 3 or a GeForce 8800 GTX GPU. Other than a Kepler-powered GPU, Logan is expected to continue using four of ARM's Cortex-A15 CPU cores on a 28nm manufacturing process.

The original Shield, released earlier this year, was reasonably well received thanks to its decent gaming hardware, PC streaming capabilities and solid battery life. However Android is still a relatively immature gaming platform, with few games using the full graphics capabilities of Nvidia's Tegra 4 chip. More processing power will certainly provide room for better games, so it'll be interesting to see how a Shield 2 fares when its released in 2014.

Permalink to story.

I don't understand the idea of releasing a new one every time a new tegra processor is available, do we need a new console every year?

(I don't know the frequency the processors will come out or this, but I mean this as more of a general point)

Back