Nvidia patches five vulnerabilities, encourages users to update display drivers ASAP

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Three of the vulnerabilities – CVE-2019-5683, CVE-2019-5684 and CVE-2019-5685 – have been classified as high-risk with scores of 8.8, 7.8 and 7.8, respectively, while the other two vulnerabilities – CVE-2019-5686 and CVE-2019-5687 – are considered medium-risk with scores of 5.6 and 5.2, respectively. Scoring is based on the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) V3 standard.

Nvidia has patched five vulnerabilities impacting GeForce, Quadro, NVS and Tesla GPU display drivers affecting versions of Windows from 7 through 10. If left unpatched, the flaws could lead to denial of service, escalation pf privileges and local code execution.

Two of the flaws were discovered by Piotr Bania of Cisco Talos. Bania previously discovered multiple vulnerabilities in areas of Nvidia drivers responsible for pixel shaders. As Bleeping Computer highlights, none of the vulnerabilities can be exploited remotely and thus require a bad actor to have physical access to a system.

Software Product Operating System Affected Versions Updated Version
GeForce Windows All R430 versions prior to 431.60 431.60
Quadro, NVS Windows All R430 versions prior to 431.70 431.70
All R418 Versions prior to 426.00

All R400 versions Available the week of August 19, 2019
All R390 versions prior to 392.56 392.56
Tesla Windows All R418 versions Available the week of August 12, 2019

While it’s not common for attackers to go after systems through Nvidia’s drivers, it can happen as Google Project Zero researchers highlighted in 2017. “Modern graphic drivers are complicated and provide a large promising attack surface for EoPs and sandbox escapes from processes that have access to the GPU (e.g. the Chrome GPU process),” said researcher Oliver Chang.

Nvidia recommends downloading and installing the latest software update through the Nvidia driver downloads page ASAP.

Masthead credit: Nvidia chip by Hairem

Permalink to story.

Would be nice if nvidia updated there older drivers with the security patch, but we all know that's not going to happen (even though they did it once for tesla based cards after end of support ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

I was just about to download Nvidia drivers but then I realised I just sold it. It lost 7-10 FPS on average with the newest drivers compared to older ones.

Their drivers are in need for a upgrade.
AMD are spot on the ball with their feature rich stable drivers.
I wonder if AMD have any hidden problems they're not telling us like Nvidia has done.

Their drivers are in need for a upgrade.
AMD are spot on the ball with their feature rich stable drivers.
I wonder if AMD have any hidden problems they're not telling us like Nvidia has done.
If so it will be uncovered sooner or later.

"None of the vulnerabilities can be exploited remotely and thus require a bad actor to have physical access to a system"
Wrong. If a vulnerability is not a remote one, that only means that the code exploiting it has to be run locally, but doesn't mean that it requires physical access to the target computer.

Like many 3D Vision fans, I'm stuck on an older version which is the last version to include the 3D Vision driver. So do I really have to decide between security and 3D Vision? They really do want all of us 3D Vision users to quit enjoy 3D?

Like many 3D Vision fans, I'm stuck on an older version which is the last version to include the 3D Vision driver. So do I really have to decide between security and 3D Vision? They really do want all of us 3D Vision users to quit enjoy 3D?

Or ya know, just buy a VR headset. They can already play all 3D videos plus all VR content as well.

Back