Nvidia reveals $250 GeForce RTX 3050 at CES 2022

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Possibly Nvidia’s most significant announcement at its CES 2022 press briefing is the specs and release date for its latest entry-level graphics card—the GeForce RTX 3050 for desktops. The keynote made it clear Nvidia understands the popularity of 50-class GPUs in today’s market.

Nvidia’s section on desktop GPUs in its CES virtual event mentioned the latest Steam hardware survey in which three of the top five cards are Nvidia 50-class cards (the GTX 1650, 1050Ti, and 1050). The company claims 75 percent of gamers still use GTX GPUs. It’s promising the entry-level successor—the GeForce RTX 3050—can maintain 60 frames per second in the latest games at 1080p to keep up with the Joneses.

At $250, it sports 8GB of GDDR6 RAM (the same as the 3070, priced twice as much), RT cores for ray tracing, and tensor cores for DLSS. It launches to custom GPU partners on January 27th. Nvidia didn’t mention a founder’s edition. These specs and price put it a bit above AMD's budget Radeon 6500XT GPU, which was also revealed at CES on Tuesday. It is comparable to Nvidia's GTX 1650, which the 3050 claims to succeed, but the 6500XT is slightly cheaper at $200.

Of course, that all assumes you’ll even be able to get these cards at MSRP. One likely reason for the current popularity of budget GPUs is that graphic cards, in general over the last few months, have been going for almost double their regular prices. However, prices have plateaued in that timeframe, which is a bit of good news.

Permalink to story.

I think Nvidia and AMD did a very poor job at protecting their hand: It's likely that AMD knew Nvidia was preparing entry level RTX and DLSS and well, they can't get there on tech but they tried to just gimp their card out as much as they could so they could launch for 50 cheaper. Makes sense since they've known about 3050 laptop for a while so the 6500 xt is their "Better than nothing" response to the 3050 which basically manages to undercut the price...Along with a heavy cut on performance too.

I think the 3050 basically wins this fight as a no-contest: AMD literally can't match this product at all right now they decided they couldn't fight in this weight category at all and just went lower but far worst than the price reduction would indicate.

I think Nvidia and AMD did a very poor job at protecting their hand: It's likely that AMD knew Nvidia was preparing entry level RTX and DLSS and well, they can't get there on tech but they tried to just gimp their card out as much as they could so they could launch for 50 cheaper. Makes sense since they've known about 3050 laptop for a while so the 6500 xt is their "Better than nothing" response to the 3050 which basically manages to undercut the price...Along with a heavy cut on performance too.

I think the 3050 basically wins this fight as a no-contest: AMD literally can't match this product at all right now they decided they couldn't fight in this weight category at all and just went lower but far worst than the price reduction would indicate.
We have to see how the performance turns out and what sort of availability there is.

Man, $250-300 back in 2016 and 2017 got you much better cards for the time (GTX 1060, RX 480 and 580)
RX480? That was like $250 for the 8GB model on launch day and was down around $200 not that long after. They sold for $200-225 in most markets for years. $250+ was only some special edition models here or there otherwise the $250+ price tier was for the 2060 later on... I mean hell the Fury cost like $350 when it came out....

Those are 3 of the top 5 cards and they have the audacity to say we're pretending to allow you alil bit better card to play with [performance test will show the facts] and that is maybe if the miners don't steal most of them and the price isn't several times more than msrp.
Yes I'm stuck with one of those 3 cards and have been looking for more than a year but availability and price have kept me from improving my video card. We are going to be surprised if RT cores are used at all because of the low specs, they are only marketing hype.

Those are 3 of the top 5 cards and they have the audacity to say we're pretending to allow you alil bit better card to play with [performance test will show the facts] and that is maybe if the miners don't steal most of them and the price isn't several times more than msrp.
Yes I'm stuck with one of those 3 cards and have been looking for more than a year but availability and price have kept me from improving my video card. We are going to be surprised if RT cores are used at all because of the low specs, they are only marketing hype.
RT cores won't be used on the 3050... I have a 3090 and a 3070 and RT is literally worthless at every tier. It is all marketing hype that requires DLSS blurred vision gaming to be able to take advantage of.

If we see decent supply from AMD this time, the 6500 will prob sell at around the price of the gtx 1050 ti (~250 eur)

You are assuming that the 3050 will only cost $50 more - in which case I agree that it would be the more appealing option.

But the 3060 is supposed to be $50 less than the 6600XT going by msrp but in reality it‘s $100-200+ more expensive.

So real life price wise, the 3050 might end up being considerably more expensive and have a worse availability. This could be due to it being much more miner friendly, plus it‘s based on the same die as the 3060 which nVidia does not seem to want to make in a meaningful volume.

8GB so it can be used to mine ETH.

Good bye MSRP, we hardly knew ye.
Yes, because that would prevent SCALPERS from buying them all. It's quite ridiculous you guys still actually believe it's all just miners.

So why can't we buy PlayStations either? Is that the miners too? Do you even know what scalping is?

Noone will buy this when the market is flooded with scrapped mining rigs later this year. The GPU price crash is coming folks

We are all at fault for the high prices on what we buy, if everyone would stop paying ridiculous scalper prices for their equipment all those good for nothing scalpers would go out of business quickly and prices would get back to normal much faster, I was in the Process of upgrading my very old and outdated desktop when the pandemic hit, my system now has an AMD 1090T CPU, AM3 Motherboard, 12Gb of DDR3 memory and an XFX 570 8Gb GPU, I was going to upgrade it all, but now I am going to wait, WHY you ask? because I for one will not spend my hard-earned money on anything that has an overinflated price due to GREEDYNESS, I will wait patiently for the prices to return to normal whenever and whatever that my be.

Yes, because that would prevent SCALPERS from buying them all. It's quite ridiculous you guys still actually believe it's all just miners.

So why can't we buy PlayStations either? Is that the miners too? Do you even know what scalping is?
The PS5 and Xbox Series X are only 25% above MSRP if you want one, but GPUs are 2-3x MSRP. It's miners for sure. There is proof that NVIDIA sells cards direct to them in bulk, not giving regular consumers a chance to get a GPU.

You are assuming that the 3050 will only cost $50 more - in which case I agree that it would be the more appealing option.

But the 3060 is supposed to be $50 less than the 6600XT going by msrp but in reality it‘s $100-200+ more expensive.

So real life price wise, the 3050 might end up being considerably more expensive and have a worse availability. This could be due to it being much more miner friendly, plus it‘s based on the same die as the 3060 which nVidia does not seem to want to make in a meaningful volume.
Not sure if I clarified this on all threads but I am actually assuming both cards will be at least double MSRP near launch and I don't expect the 3050 to be much lower than about 500 usd for all of 2022

The only part I wasn't expecting was them for them to give it 8gb of vram, I thought they'd keep the gimped 4gb version but you're right: they seem to just want to sell even more 3060 dies to miners even if they're not up-to-par with the bigger card but can still hash a couple steps below.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X are only 25% above MSRP if you want one, but GPUs are 2-3x MSRP. It's miners for sure. There is proof that NVIDIA sells cards direct to them in bulk, not giving regular consumers a chance to get a GPU.
Not Nvidia directly, but the distributors both the AIB parterns and Nvidia themselves basically not only ignore but keep rewarding with allocation. Which amounts to the same thing: Nvidia is still basically full of BS during their presentation by saying they want to address the billion dollar market of gamers, but it's important to not get these details wrong because a lot of people will otherwise pedantically try to excuse Nvidia of wrong doing.

Who'd have thought I made such a good decision 3 years ago to hold on to my GTX 1070 instead of handing it down to my "little" brother?
Such a good decision...

So, just piss on your little brother then, huh? You're post makes my blood boil!!! 🙂
On a more serious note, no one seems to be addressing the elephant in the room. How many compute units (or Cuda cores) will it have?

Back